Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jan 22nd 2024, 8:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Isn't this what CLR is for?

I was going with Common Language Runtime.

But google served up a limescale product!!!

Old Jan 23rd 2024, 12:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

I was going with Common Language Runtime.

But google served up a limescale product!!!

The R is for remover.

Old Jan 23rd 2024, 3:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The R is for remover.
What does it do that plain vinegar doesn’t do, in terms of limescale?
Old Jan 23rd 2024, 4:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What does it do that plain vinegar doesn’t do, in terms of limescale?
Quicker and better I believe. But maybe that depends on the build-up

Old Jan 24th 2024, 9:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Quicker and better I believe. But maybe that depends on the build-up
I use vinegar on the inside of the electric kettle, maybe once a year. 100% cleans it, it looks like new. True, you have to leave it a few hours. But, since it’s a food product, I know that all I have to do is rinse it out two or three times and I can safely use the kettle. I wouldn’t like to use that chemical cleaner on the kettle in the same way.
Old Jan 25th 2024, 12:22 am
Oscar nominated

I use vinegar on the inside of the electric kettle, maybe once a year. 100% cleans it, it looks like new. True, you have to leave it a few hours. But, since it’s a food product, I know that all I have to do is rinse it out two or three times and I can safely use the kettle. I wouldn’t like to use that chemical cleaner on the kettle in the same way.
I double checked with my MIL who has also used vinegar.

Apparently she's used it on kettles and coffee pots. She's 86 this year and still going strong.

She even uses it for her dentures
Old Jan 25th 2024, 7:44 am
Heading for Poppyland

I double checked with my MIL who has also used vinegar.

Apparently she's used it on kettles and coffee pots. She's 86 this year and still going strong.

She even uses it for her dentures
If I had dentures I’d do that too.

Availability of vinegar is one of my pet peeves about Britain. In the US, and I’m sure Canada too, they sell it in supermarkets by the gallon, and it’s cheap, I think about $3 maybe? In England, it comes in cute little 568ml glass bottles for £2 or £3; so much more expensive. Why the difference? I think, traditionally, Americans do a lot of food preservation, canning fruit and veg. The British just go to Tesco for their food. Also, though, vinegar is hugely popular in the US for cleaning, showers, kitchen sinks, kettles, etc.
Old Jan 25th 2024, 11:51 am
Oscar nominated

Availability of vinegar is one of my pet peeves about Britain. In the US, and I’m sure Canada too, they sell it in supermarkets by the gallon, and it’s cheap, I think about $3 maybe? In England, it comes in cute little 568ml glass bottles for £2 or £3; so much more expensive. Why the difference? I think, traditionally, Americans do a lot of food preservation, canning fruit and veg. The British just go to Tesco for their food. Also, though, vinegar is hugely popular in the US for cleaning, showers, kitchen sinks, kettles, etc.
It does tend to be white vinegar here. Quick comparison on Walmart Canada, 4l white = $2.47 and 500ml malt = $1.47 (500ml is the biggest size for malt ....well, the only size)