Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jan 23rd 2016, 10:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Ok Guys..... I am incredibly pleased with myself right now...

I have just added some kerfed weather sealing to the outside of my back door!!! No more cold draughts, yay!!

I had to figure out what I could do to seal the gaps up. I'd never heard of this procedure called weather stripping so I went and bought some new stick on insulation stuff. This wasn't wide enough for the gaps, so then I bought some of those sticky things you put on the corners but all that did was create gaps where they ended...

So then, I started googling and realised that my old door didn't have this stuff around the frame called kerfed weather stripping so I investigated that. Managed to buy some white aluminium strips to match the door. I've just spent 2 hours, measuring, cutting (needed to buy a hacksaw - do you have any idea how many different ones of those there are??) and then drilling (with an electric drill no less) the screw holes to get everything in place.

No more light shining through, no more draughts. This woman who has done very, very little diy is very proud of herself. .....
Didn't you have something you should have been doing in the kitchen?

OK, so I know your "kerfed weather stripping" as a "z strip". All external doors should have it. .... But it is usually, round here at least, a foam strip, which slots into a narrow gap around the edge of the foor frame - so you just cut to length and then slide one edge into the slot - no tools or glue required. It comes in 7' lengths and you need three pieces for one door, but five pieces will do two doors. It is fairly easy to slide it out again when painting the door frame.

This is what it looks like:
This is what it looks like installed:

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 23rd 2016 at 10:16 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 10:05 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

bedroom maybe...

It's no good P, I am in way too good a mood to be wound up!

Just having a nice glass of red to celebrate.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 10:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My back door didn't have that stuff in the frame - it's old.

My front door does but it's not brilliant - still a few gaps so I'm thinking that I'll tackle that next. I can buy a wooden kit which I can then paint to match the door frame. I wanted to do the back door first for a bit of practice. Didn't want to do a crap job on the front door....
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so I know your "kerfed weather stripping" as a "z strip". All external doors should have it. .... But it is usually, round here at least, a foam strip, which slots into a narrow gap around the edge of the foor frame - so you just cut to length and then slide one edge into the slot - no tools or glue required. It comes in 7' lengths and you need three pieces for one door, but five pieces will do two doors. It is fairly easy to slide it out again when painting the door frame.

This is what it looks like: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...c57da3_400.jpg
This is what it looks like installed: https://www.tmhardware.com/images/C/kerf.jpg
Our current apartment has that stuff on the front door, and they even botches that when building the place, I had to add some foam weather stripping to keep the cold air out. I swear 5th graders could have built this place better....

As we don't own I never get to do any fancy stuff around the house, stuck with whatever the landlord chooses, but with the new place as it will have a patio, I am going to make a small fountain for outside using pots, found a few plans online to make a simple one.

I like the sound of water, and with a patio in the summer, nice way to add some relaxing sounds to the place.

Won't be up til April though, have to wait until the risk of freeze is gone and weather nicer to be sitting outside...
Old Jan 24th 2016, 2:15 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

So tomorrow is the day of reckoning - I'm cutting a sink hole into the butchers block countertop.

Do I need to put silicone caulking between the sink and the counter?
It always seems to go mouldy and gross, from what I've seen. Is there a better product for this that anyone's come across?
Old Jan 24th 2016, 2:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
So tomorrow is the day of reckoning - I'm cutting a sink hole into the butchers block countertop.

It always seems to go mouldy and gross, from what I've seen. Is there a better product for this that anyone's come across?
Yes, silicone between the lip and the counter - there are antifungal caulks available now that are supposed to be good for 40 or 50 years. Also you are probably going to need screw clips to hold the sink in place - certainly if it is a stainless steel sink you will, and you tighten the screws to pull it down firmly against the counter, squeezing out excess caulk.

I suppose you could use a plumber's putty instead of caulk, but I have never seen that done, so I can't vouch for how well it would work.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 3:07 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you could use a plumber's putty instead of caulk, but I have never seen that done, so I can't vouch for how well it would work.
It works extremely well, and looks far neater. Almost invisible.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Nutek
It works extremely well, and looks far neater. Almost invisible.
That makes sense as I have used it around the base of taps mounted to the sink and taps mounted directly into holes in the counter. In both situations it works very well when the taps are screwed down - so just be sure to screw the sink securely into place from underneath.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 4:45 am

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense as I have used it around the base of taps mounted to the sink and taps mounted directly into holes in the counter. In both situations it works very well when the taps are screwed down - so just be sure to screw the sink securely into place from underneath.
Will do, chaps going to give it a whirl with the plumbers putty.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 5:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by username.exe
MrBEVS - plumber and gasfitter - says do not go the way of plumbers putty. You will get a better and smoother finish with the anti-fungal silicone.

The trick is to ensure that your fingers are totally clean when applying this. Because contamination is in the application.

Plumbers putty is only really used for waste connections and similar.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 1:39 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
MrBEVS - plumber and gasfitter - says do not go the way of plumbers putty. You will get a better and smoother finish with the anti-fungal silicone.

The trick is to ensure that your fingers are totally clean when applying this. Because contamination is in the application.

Plumbers putty is only really used for waste connections and similar.
Um, no. It works perfectly. There is nothing to see at all. the "joint" is practically non-existent. We are not suggesting laying down a "bead" as you would with silicone.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
Um, no. It works perfectly. There is nothing to see at all. the "joint" is practically non-existent. We are not suggesting laying down a "bead" as you would with silicone.
Right, like installing a tap - tightened down so tight that the layer of putty is of negligible thickness. .... Which is also how it is done with caulk too. Either way it it just a film of flexible material to stop water being drawn in by capillary action.

In both cases, after installation all the exposed material should be wiped away, and it is easier with putty, because it is visible and you just very gently run a utility knife around the edge, cutting away the surplus putty.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 5:25 pm

Right, like installing a tap - tightened down so tight that the layer of putty is of negligible thickness. .... Which is also how it is done with caulk too. Either way it it just a film of flexible material to stop water being drawn in by capillary action.

In both cases, after installation all the exposed material should be wiped away, and it is easier with putty, because it is visible and you just very gently run a utility knife around the edge, cutting away the surplus putty.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 1:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My back door didn't have that stuff in the frame - it's old.

My front door does but it's not brilliant - still a few gaps so I'm thinking that I'll tackle that next. I can buy a wooden kit which I can then paint to match the door frame. I wanted to do the back door first for a bit of practice. Didn't want to do a crap job on the front door....
Can't you just get a free energy saving survey done from the electric company, where they come and do all this shit for you?

They've done it in Maine and they do it here in MA. Ring up, they come around and give you a bunch of energy efficient bulbs, stick a digital thermostat on the wall, offer a energy efficient shower head and weather strip the doors and then try and sell you on cheap rate of insulating the walls/roofs and putting in new windows.

It's not technically free, it comes from one of those taxes that's about 50c a month on your electric/gas bill.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:28 am

Anyone have a recommendation for an alternative to the handheld tile cutters?

I score the tile with them, but as soon as I crimp the tile splits unevenly (unpredictably too).
I'm running out of practice tiles!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.