Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Dec 31st 2015, 5:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by username.exe
So I'm considering putting an en suite bathroom in. We have a large bedroom to fit it in and badly need another bathroom. I feel comfortable doing the studs and dry wall, installing the bath/toilet, but the plumbing is another issue.

Fortunately, we already have water taps and waste pipes in the area we want the bathroom (from where the laundry previously was). My big question is how much work/cost is it likely to be to connect a toilet soil pipe to the sewer line (City). The proposed location is 'on the way out', and ground floor.
Can't help you with any DIY tips, but don't forget to pull the relevant permits from the city/town for the new bathroom, or there could be trouble if/when you want to sell the house.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 5:59 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Can't help you with any DIY tips, but don't forget to pull the relevant permits from the city/town for the new bathroom, or there could be trouble if/when you want to sell the house.
Right! Thanks for the reminder, has totally forgotten about that.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a lot, wont you be connexting to an existing stack?
Old Dec 31st 2015, 6:16 pm

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not a lot, wont you be connexting to an existing stack?
Yes, but unsure how much effort that's going to take?
Old Dec 31st 2015, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Sounds like we need to send Pulaski over to have a look?
Old Jan 1st 2016, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very good website for do it yourself home projects. It's called DIY-chatroom. I am building a new house doing a lot of work myself, including all wiring, plumbing, insulation, some framing, and HVAC and have found it very helpful. Many pros are on the site and can offer some very useful advice.

JM
Old Jan 1st 2016, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

2016 not off to the best start in diy.

Dripping tap in the bathroom. Easy, I'll just turn off the water at this little shutoff valve under the sink and hey honey can you put your thumb over this while I run to the main shutoff valve out front...

Damn handle sheared off.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Dripping tap in the bathroom. Easy, I'll just turn off the water at this little shutoff valve under the sink and hey honey can you put your thumb over this while I run to the main shutoff valve out front...

Damn handle sheared off.
with the water on or off?
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Vice Grip on the shaft?
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 12:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Damn handle sheared off.
I had a torn washer in the toilet supply valve in the half-bath a few months ago, with similar effects. Even when I had turned off the main valve, all the water in the pipes upstairs wanted to drain out through the valve while I removed the valve stem and replaced the washer.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Vice Grip on the shaft?
That's what she said.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 2:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
So I'm considering putting an en suite bathroom in. We have a large bedroom to fit it in and badly need another bathroom. I feel comfortable doing the studs and dry wall, installing the bath/toilet, but the plumbing is another issue.

Fortunately, we already have water taps and waste pipes in the area we want the bathroom (from where the laundry previously was). My big question is how much work/cost is it likely to be to connect a toilet soil pipe to the sewer line (City). The proposed location is 'on the way out', and ground floor.
Hooking up the drains isn't a big project, so not massively expensive if you do the rest of the work, however, the bath and wash basin can be plumbed in anywhere that there is reasonable access to the main drain BUT the toilet has to have the drain (at very least the "flange") installed before the toilet is installed. The toilet flange has to be placed at exactly the right distance from the wall, and also be placed so that the drain fits between the floor joists. Then, because of the relative size of the toilet drain and fittings, hooking up the toilet drain can be a right PITA, especially if the toilet is too close to the main drain.

If you're competent to do the whole project it is certainly possible to do it yourself, but if connecting the drains is beyond you, you could install the bath and wash basin, then have a plumber come and connect the drains to bath, basin, and toilet, then you finish off by installing the toilet. .... I'd have a plumber come and take a look at your proposed project before you start.

Tip: when installing the bath, push it into the corner, and secure it, and then frame the wall/ knee wall on the third side of the tub. It is much easier to install the bath that way, and eliminates the need and inconvenience of having to shim the bath when securing it, not to mention easier to get a square and vertical wall around the bath.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 6:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Faaaaack.

Turns out, I don't have a 8mm allen key and the 6mm spins as expected. I thought the biggest issue would have been yanking the old peddles off the bike as I didn't have a peddle spanner, but that was the easy job.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Gee it's cold in the house this afternoon, what is the thermostat set to?"

"Gosh it appears to be set to four degrees above the current temperature yet it isn't trying to warm the house".

I don't touch gas so I think I'll go and check the bank balance while I wait for the gas man to cometh.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:53 pm

"Gee it's cold in the house this afternoon, what is the thermostat set to?"

"Gosh it appears to be set to four degrees above the current temperature yet it isn't trying to warm the house".

I don't touch gas so I think I'll go and check the bank balance while I wait for the gas man to cometh.
"Touching gas" is a bit difficult. ...... But despite my willingness to turn my hand to almost anything, that is one of the things that I agree is definitely left to the professionals!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.