Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old May 12th 2020, 1:09 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Old May 14th 2020, 2:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So as is there isn't enough chaos in the world at the moment, squirrels decided that now was the time to invade the attic of Pulaski Manor! What I have learned so far is that squirrels don't give a ¢r@p about mothballs, but that a tube trap is very effective when baited with a chunk of nutrigrain bar!

In other news, I am pleased to report that I have added another tool to my ever-burgeoning collection. This one more than handsomely paid for itself with a single use - a Brasscraft branded toilet auger cleared in a couple of minutes what our plunger could not clear. I paid a few dollars more for the 6ft auger, but the total cost of about $50 with tax, was much less than it would have cost to get a plumber to come to clear the blockage.
Old May 15th 2020, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I usually plant a small veg and herb garden, but the only source for plants has been Home Depot or Lowes. Good news my regular garden shop is reopening Monday 18th May.

Old May 15th 2020, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

this was previous stage of the project: Home and garden projects

and summer last year i finished off the edge landscaping , under deck roof, post lamp.
I completed about 30 minutes weeding the seedlings around the edge of patio this spring, maintenance other than that consists of a leaf blower, that alone for me is success in low maintenance.
under the deck we covered with transparent corrugated sheet and tapered it off 1":4' with 1x1" battens (easy install) . we can open door under the deck and get some air when its heaving down, it also serves well when the deck above is too hot to stand on. This year I can sit back and enjoy a drink , with Mrs, instead of yard d.i.y

Last edited by hutchison; May 15th 2020 at 1:36 pm.
Old May 15th 2020, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

A big improvement. Looks great.
Old May 15th 2020, 3:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It's lovely. Congratulations on a job well done.

Planted our veggies the other day. Meager offerings with only tomatoes and string beans planted this year so far. Started the beans from seeds and they have sprouted nicely. Using containers again and need a long one for the zucchini although we might just plant directly to the yard if we can dig up enough of the clay to be replaced by garden soil. We love zucchini for grilling, stuffing, bread, etc.
Old May 15th 2020, 4:13 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchison

and summer last year i finished off the edge landscaping , under deck roof, post lamp.
I completed about 30 minutes weeding the seedlings around the edge of patio this spring, maintenance other than that consists of a leaf blower, that alone for me is success in low maintenance.
under the deck we covered with transparent corrugated sheet and tapered it off 1":4' with 1x1" battens (easy install) . we can open door under the deck and get some air when its heaving down, it also serves well when the deck above is too hot to stand on. This year I can sit back and enjoy a drink , with Mrs, instead of yard d.i.y

Nicely done.
Old May 15th 2020, 4:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

under the deck we covered with transparent corrugated sheet and tapered it off 1":4' with 1x1" battens (easy install) . we can open door under the deck and get some air when its heaving down, it also serves well when the deck above is too hot to stand on. This year I can sit back and enjoy a drink , with Mrs, instead of yard d.i.y ....
That looks very nice, whereas the space under our deck usually gets used as "temporary" storage ..... yes, my fault, and gulty as charged!

At the moment it has about 2 tons/ 350 board-feet (a board 12"x12"x1" is one "board-foot") of white oak boards and slabs stacked there, drying.
Old May 15th 2020, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That looks very nice, whereas the space under our deck usually gets used as "temporary" storage ..... yes, my fault, and gulty as charged!

At the moment it has about 2 tons/ 350 board-feet (a board 12"x12"x1" is one "board-foot") of white oak boards and slabs stacked there, drying.
thankyou all.

i that fresh cut , do you intend to make a floor from that?, do share all in time.
Old May 15th 2020, 5:55 pm

.... Is that fresh cut , do you intend to make a floor from that?, do share all in time.
It was cut about 4 months ago from a tree that fell in September 2018, brought down by hurricane Florence. It took me several months to cut and drag the logs out of the gully where it fell and several more to find a sawyer, Obviously the delay wasn't ideal, but it did leave some interesting spalting (invasive mold that causes dark lines) in the sapwood of several boards - this one was near the edge, so the whole width of the board is spalted. I am not sure what I will do with it at the moment, but it really needs 2+ years to dry unless I pay someone to kikn-dry it, so I have plenty of time to think about it. I do have a dream of using at least part of one of the 2¼" slabs to make a guitar body.

Old May 16th 2020, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I usually plant a small veg and herb garden, but the only source for plants has been Home Depot or Lowes. Good news my regular garden shop is reopening Monday 18th May.
Just curious - you are in the Bay Area, aren't you, and isn't the Bay Area under lockdown till end of May? What's the 'trigger' for this store to be opening May 18th? Is this some sort of 'soft' re-opening, ahead of May 31?
Old May 16th 2020, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Just curious - you are in the Bay Area, aren't you, and isn't the Bay Area under lockdown till end of May? What's the 'trigger' for this store to be opening May 18th? Is this some sort of 'soft' re-opening, ahead of May 31?
There are a number of stores open, much the same as everywhere else. Besides grocery stores. Home Depot, Lowes, and sell everything stores like Target, Walmart and Costco.
I guess Garden Centers fall into the same category as they sell plants etc just like Home Depot. Other than that I have no idea why now and not earlier.

https://www.sloatgardens.com/locatio...amino-ramon-2/
Old May 17th 2020, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Garden bet has been planted. Finally used a bunch of compost from our bins. Much of the seedlings we had growing in the window sills had withered away though. The hobs in the garden, about half of them have come back.
Old May 17th 2020, 5:47 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Garden bet has been planted. Finally used a bunch of compost from our bins. Much of the seedlings we had growing in the window sills had withered away though. The hobs in the garden, about half of them have come back.
Bed and hops rather than bet and hobs? Don't you just love autocorrect?
Old May 17th 2020, 5:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Bed and hops rather than bet and hobs? Don't you just love autocorrect?
I thought he’d gone back to his old ways...using Bobbisms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.