Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Have you ever watched a TV mounted high on the wall, or always kept your TV on a low stand or table, because that's what your used to?

Unless you sit on a dining chair to watch TV, the most anatomically comfortably place for a TV to be placed is high on the wall, then you can lean back in a comfy chair or recliner, and watch TV without tipping your head forward, which puts stress on your neck. Even back in the UK I had mounted my 20" CRT TV high in the wall, on a swing-out bracket, which created extra room in my small terraced house, but I immediately discovered the joys of relaxing to watch TV without putting stress on my neck. I was inspired to do so after reading comments from an orthopedic surgeon who had written about TV-watching creating neck problems.

I have seen those brackets that allow the TV to be lowered, and I wondered who dreamed them up. Presumably not someone used to the comfort of relaxing, properly relaxing and watching a high-mounted TV.
I've had serious back problems in the past, and part of the remedy was proper seating and proper computer monitor placement. At that time, the golden rule was to make sure the monitor was at eye level. As part of my ongoing 'maintenance' of my back, I avoid 'slouching' on a sofa at all costs; doing so even for 1 hour is enough to trigger memories of past problems. So while I do sit in 'comfy chairs', I don't 'slouch'. When sitting comfortably and watching TV currently, I look up to where the TV 'would be' if I wall-mounted it (above the fireplace) and my neck feels strained immediately. I've always viewed such mounts as a triumph of form over substance. But ... like I said ... layout concerns may dictate such an abomination, in which case a 'lowering' mount may help.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I've had serious back problems in the past, and part of the remedy was proper seating and proper computer monitor placement. At that time, the golden rule was to make sure the monitor was at eye level. As part of my ongoing 'maintenance' of my back, I avoid 'slouching' on a sofa at all costs; doing so even for 1 hour is enough to trigger memories of past problems. So while I do sit in 'comfy chairs', I don't 'slouch'. When sitting comfortably and watching TV currently, I look up to where the TV 'would be' if I wall-mounted it (above the fireplace) and my neck feels strained immediately. I've always viewed such mounts as a triumph of form over substance. But ... like I said ... layout concerns may dictate such an abomination, in which case a 'lowering' mount may help.
OK, that makes total sense, and no offence was intended. .... I imagine that Nutek is also a stickler for proper, upright posture while sitting watching TV.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:37 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine that Nutek is also a stickler for proper, upright posture while sitting watching TV.
Certainly, if watching in the formal viewing room. I assume we are also talking correct attire.. some form of jacket or possibly a nice dressing gown if evening has drawn in.

Old Jan 21st 2020, 7:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Certainly, if watching in the formal viewing room. I assume we are also talking correct attire. .....
Naturally, and with a fine Havana cigar and a port, cognac, or single malt (with a little water, no ice).
Old Jan 21st 2020, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

OK, that makes total sense, and no offence was intended. .... I imagine that Nutek is also a stickler for proper, upright posture while sitting watching TV.
I can't 'slouch', which is what you have to do in a regular sofa to 'put your feet up', but I AM giving serious consideration to a power-recliner like this:
https://scandinaviandesigns.com/coll...wer-recliner-1
or this
https://scandinaviandesigns.com/coll...power-recliner
I can't stand the visual appearance of 'basic' recliners, but these guys are different enough to be tolerable. Sadly, they are not cheap! But anyway - I may spring for one of them. Sitting in the showroom, I find that I can get really comfortable while also reclining. Whether I'll still feel OK after 3 hours is another question. I wish I could rent one for a month or two!
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:29 pm

So the dishwasher stopped heating water, which meant it didn't run properly, and no sooner than I had ordered a new thermostat than the fridge stopped making ice and producing chilled water! So now I need to order a replacement water valve module.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Lawn update. If you recall I had weeds everywhere but now my lawn is lush and green.

Whoever said cut it short was wrong. Florida lawn weeds grow way too fast and very quickly overcome short grass.

Weed killer worked temporarily. The weeds on top died but within 2-3 weeks the weeds underneath start to come through. This was the Tenacity weed killer so it's pretty good stuff.

In the end the winning combination was cut it long (about 4 inches) and regularly, water enough and on schedule, add a layer of top soil with organic matter, and hand pull weeds before they become a problem (although the long grass tends to keep them at bay). I had to re-seed some large empty patches from where I'd pulled a ton of weeds out too.

Exciting stuff.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

So the dishwasher stopped heating water, which meant it didn't run properly, and no sooner than I had ordered a new thermostat than the fridge stopped making ice and producing chilled water! So now I need to order a replacement water valve module.
My dishwasher has broken down a few times. The door switch died so I ordered a new one, but when replacing it I saw the old one had burn marks on the plastic connectors around the electrical cables.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 3:27 pm

So, for a very obvious reason, I am going to have time during the next few months to get cracking on a number of often postponed and long-stalled projects, but before I get to any of those, this week I am planning to put down some weed n' feed on the grass weeds, and burn the pile of branches on the vegetable patch to make way for tomatoes and cucumbers, and maybe a few other things, depending on what seeds we have - maybe some melons.

I also need to sharpened my chainsaw blade which is now so blunt as to be pretty much useless, and I have several fallen trees to remove.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Normal Weekend: Take son to soccer, take daughter to soccer.
Last Weekend: Replace pump for waterfall, replace fridge filter, remove weeds from vegetable plot, de-calc coffee maker
This Weekend: Plant seeds, replace power sockets in daughter's room, seed lawn.
Next Weekend: Upgrade light switches, and whatever else the horde breaks.

How life has changed.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 12:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
Normal Weekend: Take son to soccer, take daughter to soccer.
Last Weekend: Replace pump for waterfall, replace fridge filter, remove weeds from vegetable plot, de-calc coffee maker
This Weekend: Plant seeds, replace power sockets in daughter's room, seed lawn.
Next Weekend: Upgrade light switches, and whatever else the horde breaks.

How life has changed.
That all sounds like a huge improvement.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Home Depot, was not a quiet place yesterday. Swung by to get some cleaning supplies and the place was heaving. They were also out of cleaning supplies.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Home Depot, was not a quiet place yesterday. Swung by to get some cleaning supplies and the place was heaving. They were also out of cleaning supplies.
Heaving with what? People TRYING to buy cleaning supplies, or 'other stuff'? I was thinking of swinging by to get some paint for a project I need to work on, if it's quiet in that area of the store. Did you ask anyone working there when they get their supplies?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Heaving with what? People TRYING to buy cleaning supplies, or 'other stuff'? I was thinking of swinging by to get some paint for a project I need to work on, if it's quiet in that area of the store. Did you ask anyone working there when they get their supplies?
my hubby wants to order paint from the Ben Moore shop just up the road. Phone the order through, give CC details for payment, then kerbside pick up. I would rather he stay home but he is bored out his mind, Decisions, decisions...
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If we owned the unit we lived in, I think I would paint it, needs a nice new coat of paint and maybe a different color, this off white isn't my cup of tea. But we rent, and I am certainly not going to put money into improving a rental.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.