Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Lost Interest?

Harry Potter and the Lost Interest?

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:36 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry Potter and the Lost Interest?

Harry Potter is f.cking brilliant! The movies are nowhere near as good as the books, but I'm a Harry Potter nerd and proud of it. We went to see the newest movie on Saturday and were sorely tempted to turn around and go back inside for a second viewing as soon as it ended. Lol. (We didn't... but I kinda wish we had...)

I'm so impressed (and proud) that J.K. Rowling was able to become a millionaire and almost single-handedly reinvigorate a nation's love of reading with a series of books. Yes, the Roald Dahls, Enid Blytons, C.S.Lewises of this world will forever remain classics, but to be living in a time where a BOOK can cause so much excitement and commotion is rather cool. Remember each time a new one came out and there were lines around the block for bookshops? That's quite remarkable.

AND... the Catholic church has recently said they're good too. If you like C.S. Lewis for the moral threads, you'll love J.K. Rowling.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry Potter and the Lost Internet?

He should have paid his bills....
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:13 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Harry Potter is f.cking brilliant! The movies are nowhere near as good as the books, but I'm a Harry Potter nerd and proud of it. We went to see the newest movie on Saturday and were sorely tempted to turn around and go back inside for a second viewing as soon as it ended. Lol. (We didn't... but I kinda wish we had...)

I'm so impressed (and proud) that J.K. Rowling was able to become a millionaire and almost single-handedly reinvigorate a nation's love of reading with a series of books. Yes, the Roald Dahls, Enid Blytons, C.S.Lewises of this world will forever remain classics, but to be living in a time where a BOOK can cause so much excitement and commotion is rather cool. Remember each time a new one came out and there were lines around the block for bookshops? That's quite remarkable.

AND... the Catholic church has recently said they're good too. If you like C.S. Lewis for the moral threads, you'll love J.K. Rowling.
I agree with you that the getting kids to love books is great. And I am don't begrudge her her success. I personally can't read them because to me they're just blatantly cribbed. Also, if books were cheese, then HP would be Kraft singles compare to Tolkien's brie.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:50 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I agree with you that the getting kids to love books is great. And I am don't begrudge her her success. I personally can't read them because to me they're just blatantly cribbed. Also, if books were cheese, then HP would be Kraft singles compare to Tolkien's brie.
You see, I was never able to get into Tolkien. I guess it's all a personal preference, in the same way some people prefer crime fiction to science fiction, or whatever.

Me? I grew up with Harry Potter and was part of the generation they're aimed at. They will always be rather special because of that.

HP Fact: Harry Potter was born in 1980 and the series actually ends in 1998. That makes him 30 today.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:54 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Derivative bullshit. Lord of the Rings or CS Lewis or GTFO.
Not sure how Harry Potter is derivative of Lord Of The Rings, apart from them both having wizards. You might as well say Harry Potter is derivative of Grange Hill, as they both take place in schools.

Maybe they should do a file where Ron gets addicted to heroin, and the whole cast record a version of "Just Say No".
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

Worth seeing for Bill Nighy's accent alone me thinks.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Derivative bullshit. Lord of the Rings or CS Lewis or GTFO.
Low Road ...

Originally Posted by Sue
My son has grown up with these books and is an avid fan, now 17 he went to to the midnight showing on Thursday night (well Friday morning as it started at 12:01am ) and went again yesterday to watch it. For kids like him who have grown up reading the books, and watching every film, it will never get old.

I credit his interest in Harry Potter for helping developing his reading skills, and instill in him a love for reading. The books, and the subsequent films, have for him, been a big part of his childhood memories.
High Road ....

How far have to read into one? I was pretty much in that frame of mind at first, but I found them to be very good once I got over my prejudice. I can't keep up with the whole series, but I still think those first few were extremely good ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 23rd 2010 at 6:45 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert

We are fans. Saw all the movies except for this one, which we will see next week. Also bought all the DVD's. Amazing, to watch a second time, see all bits you missed the first time. Plus love Lord of The Rings Brill.
We must be big kids at heart.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I like 'em, I have to say.

I was 18 when the first book came out so I didn't give it too much thought but then a couple of mates and my sister kept banging on about how good it was so I decided to give the books a go around the time the first film came out.

I found that I quite enjoyed the books (the best part was that when I started reading them, the 1st 4 were all out so I had them all read and was caught up by the time #5 was published), and the films too (though not as good as the books). So I got into them in my early 20s and read the new ones faithfully until the last one in 2007. Of course it's no Hitch Hiker's Guide but we can't have everything

We'd go to see the new movie this weekend but we're dubious about bringing the baby to the pictures so I guess we'll be staggering our trips, and our son will get to see it twice

Not that I'm the world expert on books of course. I have read some CS Lewis but I am a late convert to Tolkein. To my shame I have only just started reading LOTR at 31, and I just finshed the Hobbit prior to that
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to see the new Harry Potter movie tomorrow with my OH for our anniversary. I've read all the books but he hasn't. He admits he didn't want to like the movies due to all the hype and that they are kids books but he loved the movies and goes voluntarily with me. I only started reading the books after I'd seen the 3rd movie.

I went to see the first Lord of the Rings movie and after I fell asleep for 20 minutes I left the movie theater. I just couldn't get into it. I've been told that is because I haven't read the books. I just don't want to read the books.

I like JK Rowling for the fact that so many kids (and adults) are reading more. I also like her for the fact she had donated millions of £ towards Multiple Sclerosis research. There is going to be a new research facility at Edinburgh University and I am thrilled about it. (my mother was diagnosed with MS 20 years ago)
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

DH is all about Tolkein because of the inspiration from locations around Birmingham, I look forward to the Hobbit. I did enjoy Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings and the Harvard Lampoon's Bored of the Rings, the last read when I was in college,
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:31 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to read a Harry Potter book once, I remember feeling like it was aimed at toddlers and put it down in disgust. I'd much rather read a Discworld novel over any of the Harry Potter drivel.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:04 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I'm going to see the new Harry Potter movie tomorrow with my OH for our anniversary. I've read all the books but he hasn't. He admits he didn't want to like the movies due to all the hype and that they are kids books but he loved the movies and goes voluntarily with me. I only started reading the books after I'd seen the 3rd movie.

I went to see the first Lord of the Rings movie and after I fell asleep for 20 minutes I left the movie theater. I just couldn't get into it. I've been told that is because I haven't read the books. I just don't want to read the books.

I like JK Rowling for the fact that so many kids (and adults) are reading more. I also like her for the fact she had donated millions of £ towards Multiple Sclerosis research. There is going to be a new research facility at Edinburgh University and I am thrilled about it. (my mother was diagnosed with MS 20 years ago)
I tried a couple of times with LOTR. It finally clicked for me when I was 19, I think. If you can get through the first 100 pages, it'll grab you like a TSA TSO.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:05 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Low Road ...

High Road ....

How far have to read into one? I was pretty much in that frame of mind at first, but I found them to be very good once I got over my prejudice. I can't keep up with the whole series, but I still think those first few were extremely good ...
I gave it a shake. Plus I used to do the books on tape in my car for my son. He thought they were okay, as opposed to NPR< but he wasn't blown away.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
I think I'm the only person left in the world who has neither read the books nor seen the films. Same with Lord of the Rings, I despised the books (couldn't get past the stupid names of the characters) so never saw the films either.
You're not alone. I never read any of the Harry Potter books, and I only saw the first movie (went with a friend who wanted to see it, I didn't care for it).

I read The Hobbit, but couldn't get into reading Lord of the Rings. Never saw those films, either!

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.