Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Lost Interest?

Harry Potter and the Lost Interest?

Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:44 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry Potter and the Lost Interest?

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Looks like that duck is.
That's TSA Humiliation Duckie. He's ready for his body scan.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
That's TSA Humiliation Duckie. He's ready for his body scan.
I have no idea what this is, sorry, but the concept of a duck that likes it rough is amusing me no end.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I think some people read books and empathize with the characters. It seems like many HP fans read the books and want to be the characters. Some people go to pretty extreme lengths in pursuit of this. I see the same thing with those vampire movies.

That said, I've read most of them and they're pretty clever. "Diagon Ally" still makes me chuckle.

I don't own a wand or have any tattoos relating to the movie though.
Some of the smartest people I know like the HP books and they don't do all that crazy stuff either. It has taken me a long time to realize that no matter how much I love a book there are going to people who just don't feel the same and it isn't necessarily about intellect.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:49 pm
WTF?

I have no idea what this is, sorry, but the concept of a duck that likes it rough is amusing me no end.
It's something I just made up. Just now. Degrading a duck just seems right somehow though.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:50 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

i just realized I'm getting rather odd about my relationship with books.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

It's something I just made up. Just now. Degrading a duck just seems right somehow though.
Well they are kind of arrogant. Just look at Donald.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:52 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
i just realized I'm getting rather odd about my relationship with books.
I'm pretty disturbed myself.

I also feel I'm at the point in life where I can admit that I hate Jane Austen.

HA!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Stuffing it, bunging it in the oven, and then slicing it up and eating it is pretty degrading, I would say - to the duck, anyway! Long may it continue ...
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:53 pm
WTF?

Well they are kind of arrogant. Just look at Donald.
Exactly. Who wears half a sailor suit? Degenerate.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Exactly. Who wears half a sailor suit? Degenerate.
Oh yeah. After he finished filming those cartoons he was often seen wandering down Hollywood Boulevard, clasping a bottle of gin and swearing at passers-by. And in half a sailor's suit. The top half. No dignity.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:57 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Stuffing it, bunging it in the oven, and then slicing it up and eating it is pretty degrading, I would say - to the duck, anyway! Long may it continue ...
Poultry really doesn't stand a chance at any sort of dignified death in this country. I'm going to be taking my frustrations out on a turkey in just a little while.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:06 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

But Harry Potter goes further than paying homage to previous works in the genre, which is why she ends up in court so often.
Yeeeesssss, that's what it must be. Couldn't have anything to do with the existence of tossers who, upon seeing somebody with a lot of dosh, think "there must be some way I can con myself a slice of that".
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yeeeesssss, that's what it must be. Couldn't have anything to do with the existence of tossers who, upon seeing somebody with a lot of dosh, think "there must be some way I can con myself a slice of that".
There's very good evidence (publishing dates) that many very specific concepts and words were used by other writers before Rowling. Any way you cut it her work is derivative, and this is being polite.

My personal opinion is that she got away with it not just because of the awesome power of her legal team but because she recycled stuff so comprehensively from previous writers that her books ended up being a sort of encyclopedia of the cosy fantasy genre.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I found first couple of movies very entertaining and the last couple very yawn worthy. I tried to read one of the early books but couldn't stay engaged - for whatever reason. Regardless, it's good for the kids, right? Getting young people into reading and watching decent films can't be a bad thing. Adult reaction is really just periphery unless the HP books are to be considered serious literature.
Nope I believe millions of adults watch, the movies because they want to. Millions of 18+ year olds, who have no children, go to see them.

Entertainment, bit like James Bond movies, good old fashioned, ENTERTAINMENT, not meaningful, not serious, just for fun.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:19 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by frrussre
Nope I believe millions of adults watch, the movies because they want to. Millions of 18+ year olds, who have no children, go to see them.

Entertainment, bit like James Bond movies, good old fashioned, ENTERTAINMENT, not meaningful, not serious, just for fun.

Reg. Frank R.
Yeah, I know. That's pretty much what I went on to say in subsequent posts. But that really isn't related to what I said in the post you quoted - unless you're suggesting that they're not actually children's books? So, I'm not sure what you're "noping" or why you felt compelled to USE UPPER CASE on the word "entertain". But, don't bother to actually READ the post you're quoting, I mean, what FUN would that BE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.