Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Good Ol' Days. :(

The Good Ol' Days. :(

Old May 1st 2017, 9:38 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Good Ol' Days. :(

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It really, really, reeeeallllly doesn't matter. You can use an old pair of knickers for all I care.
Hopefully pre washed in a top loader.
Old May 1st 2017, 11:02 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Euuwww, that's festy! You'd care if you were going round for dinner.
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

We could always go back to the old copper Boiler and use the copper stick to agitate the clothes while they are soaking and boiling, then use the mammoth wooden tongs to move them from the Boiler to the sink to rinse them and then...the best part...putting them through the wringer without catching your fingers as well and hanging them on the line to dry!

Oh the good old days, when the laundry took all day and you were totally screwed if it started raining. Then the clothes horse came out and the ceiling rack came down and the house looked like a Chinese laundry
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
.... Oh the good old days, when the laundry took all day and you were totally screwed if it started raining. Then the clothes horse came out and the ceiling rack came down and the house looked like a Chinese laundry. ....
Monday was laundry day when I was a child. Out would come the twin tub, and the trusty wooden tongs. And yes, it took my mother all day.
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Monday was laundry day when I was a child. Out would come the twin tub, and the trusty wooden tongs. And yes, it took my mother all day.
Why was it always Monday, I never did understand that. Mind you the mother worked so god knows when she got it done, I honestly can't remember. I remember the twin tub with the hose going into the sink but the day escapes me.
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
.... The Hotpoint front-loader I had back in the early 90s in London actually filled up with more water than this G.E. unit. Bought a Whirlpool top loading dual action agitator a few years back cause I hate the front-loader. .....
You're not comparing like with like - British front loaders are much smaller, and they also have a horizontal spindle (at least all the ones I ever saw), whereas in the US the tub is larger and, in the case of modern ones, canted back, so you can get quite a lot of water in without it reaching the door.

Also your "amount of water" comparison is flawed because a front loader has multiple cycles of wash and flush, so it's like the difference between taking a bath and sitting in a bath tub of water that has all the dirt and oils suspended in it, compared to a shower where the dirt is washed off and rinsed away.
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why was it always Monday, I never did understand that. .....
How am I suppose to know? You'll be asking why half day closing was on Wednesday next.
.... Mind you the mother worked so god knows when she got it done, I honestly can't remember. I remember the twin tub with the hose going into the sink but the day escapes me.
I can't remember if the twin tub came with us when we moved, but shortly after that my mother went back to work and by then she had a new washing machine. It used "front loader technology", but was loaded through two flaps in the drum. The advantage was that it had bearings on both ends of the drum spindle so it could spin faster and put a lot less stress on the bearings.

Eventually that machine failed and she replaced it with another one of the same design, which she still uses today .... even though today isn't Monday.
Old May 2nd 2017, 1:45 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer

You also can't soak clothes in a front-loader, the water is too bloody little and I haven't found a washer that allows for soaking.
OF COURSE YOU CAN. Every washing machine I have ever owned (Bosch or Miele) has a programme that soaks laundry (usually as part of a stain removal programme) if required.

We bought a close to top-of-the-line GE a few years back and it has no soak option.
But GE make shit, so there's your problem. Seriously.
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:13 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Boomhauer;12242548]I do and I am pretty sure it is true. Having a rather strong case of OCD/Germphobia , getting clothes clean is pretty important to me.

Despite what the likes of Consumer Reports say, I can not fathom how a front-loading washer could clean clothes as effectively as a top loader with a dual action agitator , whos vanes comes all the way to the top ; unless the drum in the front-loader fills up close to halfway.

You also can't soak clothes in a front-loader, the water is too bloody little and I haven't found a washer that allows for soaking. We bought a close to top-of-the-line GE a few years back and it has no soak option.

The Hotpoint front-loader I had back in the early 90s in London actually filled up with more water than this G.E. unit. Bought a Whirlpool top loading dual action agitator a few years back cause I hate the front-loader.

what a load of tosh. If you knew anything at all you would know to stick a bit of bleach in to kill germs - instantly. Not soaking for hours with warm water ( that will actually allow the bacteria to proliferate).
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:19 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Hopefully pre washed in a top loader.
I really don't care as long as the dishes are clean
Old May 2nd 2017, 3:27 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
OF COURSE YOU CAN. Every washing machine I have ever owned (Bosch or Miele) has a programme that soaks laundry (usually as part of a stain removal programme) if required.

But GE make shit
, so there's your problem. Seriously.

I have a GE washer and dryer. Both around 20 years old. Never had a problem with either of them.

Maytag machines do not live up to their ad claims by a long shot.
Old May 2nd 2017, 3:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I have a GE washer and dryer. Both around 20 years old. Never had a problem with either of them.

I had a Maytag dryer and front loader washing machine for almost 20 years. Both were still going strong when we sold the house.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Your penchant for making such definitive statements will be your undoing!

Ian
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're not comparing like with like - British front loaders are much smaller, and they also have a horizontal spindle (at least all the ones I ever saw), whereas in the US the tub is larger and, in the case of modern ones, canted back, so you can get quite a lot of water in without it reaching the door.

Also your "amount of water" comparison is flawed because a front loader has multiple cycles of wash and flush, so it's like the difference between taking a bath and sitting in a bath tub of water that has all the dirt and oils suspended in it, compared to a shower where the dirt is washed off and rinsed away.
Even with the GE's drum canted back a bit, the water is still noticeably less than what the old Hotpoint would fill. I remember clothes being full submerged, but not so with the G.E.

Multiple wash cycles, but still the water volume is soo tiny, that it won't matter much.
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

what a load of tosh. If you knew anything at all you would know to stick a bit of bleach in to kill germs - instantly. Not soaking for hours with warm water ( that will actually allow the bacteria to proliferate).
I use quite a lot of Clorox. And use the santize and steam option also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.