Fitness...do you?

Old Nov 26th 2016, 7:48 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

went for a row this morning... it's been going well and I am now in a much narrower racing boat. Anyway, some swans flew/flapped out of the side bushes and I fell in. After failing to get back into the boat, a paddleboarder went to the dock and asked them to send someone out to rescue me. Those narrow boats are horrible to get back into, they keep tipping and hanging onto both sets of oars was nigh-on impossible. I am now bruised on my arm, a lump on the head where the seat slid down and hit me and very tired after having to tread coldish water for 20 minutes and attempted to haul myself on the boat. Biggest injury though was to my pride.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 12:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
went for a row this morning... it's been going well and I am now in a much narrower racing boat. Anyway, some swans flew/flapped out of the side bushes and I fell in. After failing to get back into the boat, a paddleboarder went to the dock and asked them to send someone out to rescue me. Those narrow boats are horrible to get back into, they keep tipping and hanging onto both sets of oars was nigh-on impossible. I am now bruised on my arm, a lump on the head where the seat slid down and hit me and very tired after having to tread coldish water for 20 minutes and attempted to haul myself on the boat. Biggest injury though was to my pride.
Oh no Must have been awful not being able to get back into the boat. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

GeekyGal is an unknown quantity at this point

I was exercising, but I stopped because I can't seem to stop losing weight. That sounds like a joke, but it's really not. I lost 30 lbs. in the past six months, and now that I'm down to 115 lb., I don't think I look as healthy.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 2:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeekyGal
I was exercising, but I stopped because I can't seem to stop losing weight. That sounds like a joke, but it's really not. I lost 30 lbs. in the past six months, and now that I'm down to 115 lb., I don't think I look as healthy.
That's concerning - a 30lb weight loss at your size. Maybe get your doctor to check you over? Did you change anything else? Diet? Stress? Thyroid issues? hair loss? How are you sleeping? Anaemia? Tummy problems?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

That's concerning - a 30lb weight loss at your size. Maybe get your doctor to check you over? Did you change anything else? Diet? Stress? Thyroid issues? hair loss? How are you sleeping? Anaemia? Tummy problems?
I eat well, and have fairly low stress compared to most people (I think). I've had a lot of upper abdominal pains, especially after eating, but I'm not insured, and I'm a bit afraid of one potential diagnosis (pancreatic cancer). Anyway, I know that's off-topic... sorry.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 4:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I eat well, and have fairly low stress compared to most people (I think). I've had a lot of upper abdominal pains, especially after eating, but I'm not insured, and I'm a bit afraid of one potential diagnosis (pancreatic cancer). Anyway, I know that's off-topic... sorry.
You definitely need to be checked over, that sort of weight loss is not normal if you're exercising. Anyone of averge weight or less is likely to gain weight when exercising. ..... Find a way to get insurance - if you're income is low you will be eligible for subsidies of most of the cost. Unfortunately it is possible in NC for your income to be too for any assistance.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 4:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your fall and bump, I hope you recover your confidence and get back in a boat soon.

I rowed for a while when I lived in London, I was the right size and shape but just really didn't enjoy it, in part because of a fear of falling in. I also wasn't willing to commit the time and effort required to get any good at it.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 4:50 pm
Austin. TX.

Can you afford to go to a primary care physician and at least get some blood tests done?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Can you afford to go to a primary care physician and at least get some blood tests done?
Yeah, it's just the aftermath that gets really expensive, and having blood tests that result in diagnosis for a disease would make getting insurance substantially harder, I would imagine. Anyway, don't worry, I'll figure something out and give some more thought to a doctor trip. I really didn't mean to hijack a thread.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:35 pm
Austin. TX.

Yeah, it's just the aftermath that gets really expensive, and having blood tests that result in diagnosis for a disease would make getting insurance substantially harder, I would imagine. Anyway, don't worry, I'll figure something out and give some more thought to a doctor trip. I really didn't mean to hijack a thread.
One step at a time. You might be worrying about nothing and putting off going to the doctor is not helping you. There might be no aftermath other than avoid some foods. - this is the most likely scenario.
If there is a problem, everything is much easier and cheaper to sort out earlier rather than later.

I will nag you.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 5:41 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't sound right, nor your following post about pains.

I lost a similar amount of weight--in the past two years, though...not six months. And I lost mine through some medical crises of close family members where I was needed to take care of them. (Completely crazy time.) If you're not going through some kind of extreme life experience, losing 30 lbs in 6 months needs checking out. It could well be explained by something else in your life you haven't mentioned here, or even thought much about, but you need get yourself to a professional.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:19 pm
Austin. TX.

I belong to a group of freelancers here in Austin and obviously every year healthcare is discussed.

A couple have said that they enroll for an online/distance learning course at a local commnity college and this entitles them to get student health insurance through the college. Much cheaper and better coverage than they could get on their own. Might be worth looking into? They don't actually do the course btw, just the pay the fees (not much for 3 credit hours), register on the course then that's it.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 9:40 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Just a catch up...going on 7 months of every other day running at 58. Just decided to up the distance from 3.6 to 4.1 miles per. I am feeling 10 years younger, and while I cannot say I enjoy the run I do enjoy the sense of accomplishment after. To any possible running newbies out there...4.1 miles now is easier than 2.5 miles 6 months ago.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Just a catch up...going on 7 months of every other day running at 58. Just decided to up the distance from 3.6 to 4.1 miles per. I am feeling 10 years younger, and while I cannot say I enjoy the run I do enjoy the sense of accomplishment after. To any possible running newbies out there...4.1 miles now is easier than 2.5 miles 6 months ago.
Nice job . I know what you mean about not enjoying the run but enjoying it afterwards. Even on relatively easy runs I always remember wondering what the hell that 'runner's high' people would talk about was all about.

Myself, I've been back at the gym 3 days a week consistently again for the first time since before Christmas. Just worked my way back up to a 145lb squat (tonight's numbers) and I should be hitting a bodyweight deadlift in about 3 weeks with the return to a 2 plate squat shortly thereafter. It'll feel good to get over 200lbs back on the bar again - that's the penalty for taking 6 weeks off in the summer. The ego takes a hit

As far as the running goes - I've started the 'Couch to 5K' program back up again. Pleasantly surprised that some residual fitness remains from when I was running more regularly because it's much easier this time around. I'm going to shoot for at least 10-12 miles per week once I get done with week 9, and then go from there. I will echo for the new runners though that it does get easier. When I started C25K last year, I couldn't run 200 yards without collapsing in a heap and inside 8 weeks I was running 3 miles with relative ease. Even hit a sub-10 minute mile in May

Soccer season starts in April - hopefully I'm back on form again for that.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:44 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
The last two years here in the US have been grueling--several family weddings (two overseas), one birth (also overseas), and two deaths with lingering terminal illness. Somehow--in the middle of all the family drama--I managed to lose 25 pounds without even thinking about it.

I did realize at the beginning of that halcion period that I HAD to be physically fit *and* strong, or I wouldn't be able to handle some of the roles I had to step into at very short notice. Nurse, cook/housekeeper, chauffer back & forth to hospitals, wedding helper/dogsbody.... you name it, I had to be ready to jump in & do it, and it really took a toll.

So I started desperately carving out exercise time--for calisthenics (first time in a long time) & long walks, local hikes wherever I happened to be whenever I could free an hour up for myself.

Now that (most of) the crises are over & life has settled a bit, I'm still doing the 40 mins exercise first thing every morning, & religiously walking once or twice a day. When I can't do either, I don't feel good at all, & the weight creeps up, so I kick myself back into the routine. Just hope I can keep it up!!!!!!!
Well, not all the various extended-family crises actually ended last October -- as it seemed they might have done when I posted the above. Again I'm a caregiver, & again it's a rather stressful situation....But I have managed to keep my general health & fitness up to the mark. 👍

Have ramped up my daily calesthenics, added aerobic running in place in the spare minutes whilst boiling the kettle for cuppas or hot water bottles, & can still manage to carve out my (almost) daily walks... the latter which saves my sanity for sure....

Alongside the political craziness both sides of the Pond, my world no longer seems all THAT weird...😉 ☺

Last edited by WEBlue; Feb 3rd 2017 at 8:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.