British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Fitness...do you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/fitness-do-you-882352/)

Beaverstate Aug 26th 2016 8:54 am

Fitness...do you?

As an off and on runner the past 25 years I have started again. I last ran when I was 51 and enjoyed the after effects immensely until a hobbling foot injury.
Well fast forward 7 years and start again slow and easy...loving it.
Up to 3 miles (4.8km) per run.:thumbsup:
What if anything do you do...biking, swimming, stationary bike, weights?

rbackhouse Aug 26th 2016 11:47 am

Re: Fitness...do you?

I've been a runner for about 30 years now. Nothing too extensive though. For the last 15 years or so it's been 3 miles 3 times a week mixing it up on a treadmill and indoor track. Have never been able to get into running outside.

robin1234 Aug 26th 2016 11:57 am

I haven't been able to run for years; lower back problems, sciatica, foot injuries etc. I cycle and walk. Cycling, my limit now is maybe 50 miles in a day, and if the wind is against me on the way home, I curse and struggle the last few miles! Walking, I doubt if I do more than eight miles in a day, although if I started good and early in the day, and planned an afternoon nap on the beach or a convenient hilltop, I'm sure I could do double that.

If in England, it'll usually be a route including some medieval churches, romantic ruins or suchlike. I've never been interested in exercise just for its own sake.

WEBlue Aug 26th 2016 12:44 pm

I never was much of a runner, but always loved walking/hiking/biking. And I have never belonged to a gym, but always had "active" jobs--teaching secondary school, social service field work, etc.

Now that I'm older I try to walk 2 miles a day minimum, or walk/cycle more than that. Since I live in New England, the winters can make such a goal impossible--so some days I must substitute snow shoveling our drive and walkway, which are (thankfully!!) not too long.... Builds back strength nicely, the latter! :lol:

Anian Aug 26th 2016 1:59 pm

Lots of hiking. I used to have back problems, but a daily regime of sit-ups completely got rid of them. Amazing how a simple 5 minute exercise every day can completely change your physiology.

AlphaTangoMike Aug 26th 2016 2:31 pm

Mostly walking or hiking for me (although I'm about to start running), we have a lot of trails in our area, so it's easy to get outdoors. (Can't handle indoor exercise). Will be adding some cycling into the mix.

petitefrancaise Aug 26th 2016 3:02 pm

Hey, Good for you Beaverstate!

I ran/biked a lot in France. Austin doesn't suit me for that though - city streets/trails don't appeal. I've started rowing and I love it. Just love it. Watching the sun come up over the city on the quiet, cool lake is amazing. Someone on here asked me if I knew of a guy in Austin who rows and if you're reading this, then i met him last week Lovely bloke.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 26th 2016 3:13 pm

A hike once or twice a year. Never been a big exercise person.

sir_eccles Aug 26th 2016 3:23 pm

You think I'm gonna get up and get my own beer, woman!

Giantaxe Aug 26th 2016 3:29 pm

I now regularly do 20 to 25 mile hikes, longer distances than I could do 30 years ago! Up until a year ago, I thought half that distance was my limit, but by training I have realized I can do a lot more.

MtbbikeVanlife Aug 26th 2016 3:42 pm

Before moving over to the USA I was a runner, but arthritis was catching up with me, specifically the toes (hereditary !) so once I got here (Richmond, VA) I decided to give mountain biking a try. I mean, you just need a bike, a helmet and you're done, right ?

Wrong, a crack habit would be cheaper. 3 bikes, cold weather gear, hot weather gear, replacement helmets (they crack when you hit the ground hard enough) replacement components, trips to Pisgah/Dupont, Snowshoe Downhill park, post ride beers, it goes on. I'll never be rich, but I'm happy and fit !

Bob Aug 26th 2016 6:20 pm

Nothing if I can get away with it, but my doctor has been an arse and kept moving my annual physical so till then, I can't get back to my doughnut diet.

When I have time, I mountain bike the trails, but not had much time with the kids, so hit the rollers in the basement. Really, horrid stuff that.

I also like badminton but there's only a few places around here that do it and they're all a bit far but when we lived in our last town, the missus knew one of the Russians who was a member and he had a different Russian sign me in as a guest each week so I played for free for over a year which is a good thing as it was a few grand to join the club plus dues.

We also just gave curling a try at a open house and joined the club while it was really cheap and there wasn't a 2-3 year waiting list. Not sure we'll actually go ahead and due it mind, but season doesn't start till the new year.

tom169 Aug 26th 2016 6:22 pm

Nothing. I should. Maybe next year.

dc koop Aug 26th 2016 6:34 pm

I still walk about three miles three times a week, bike on the mountain trails also and can still bench press a hundred pounds. I'll be 77 in September. I think having a younger wife helps a lot

jambey2510 Aug 26th 2016 6:55 pm

I run 4/5 times a week, shorter runs of 6-8km then a bigger run of 15-20km. I play 'soccer' once, sometimes twice a week. I sometimes swim and bike too, and try to hike where possible!