Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do people prefer a bathtub-shower to a walk-in shower?

Do people prefer a bathtub-shower to a walk-in shower?

Old Sep 25th 2021, 5:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do people prefer a bathtub-shower to a walk-in shower?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
When we returned to Oz we bought a new villa, I was really pleased with the shower in the ensuite because it was big and had a semi-frameless screen with pivot door, similar to below. They're quite common in new builds here, the shower runs the width of the bathroom. There's a squeegy in there and scouse uses it diligently, so I don't (no point in cleaning it twice a day!) I'm not a huge fan of loos in with bathrooms, but they're handy in an ensuite in the middle of the night. I told scouse the day we moved in, only number 1s allowed in there, number 2s are reserved for the powder room at the back of the house

What I wasn't quite so pleased with is the second bathroom is a replica, except no loo, just a longer vanity with 2 basins. I would have liked a bath tub instead of a shower in that one. Been here three years and we've never used it.

In the UK, in the old days, pre 1960s I would say, it was extremely common to have the toilet separate from the bathroom. And just a toilet, no washbasin! You still see it occasionally on listings in rightmove etc. (Usually the rest of the bathroom was right next door.) While I know there are good reasons to separate the WC from the toothbrushes etc., I personally wouldn’t buy a house now, where the WC was separate like that.

I guess in the old days, with a family of four + and only one bathroom, there were good reasons to have the WC separate!!
Old Sep 25th 2021, 6:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 25th 2021, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I much prefer a shower to a bath. Our bathroom has a separate shower with glass door and the bath next to it. We have never used the bath in the eight years we have been in this house, and never used the bath in the last house we lived in. Our guest bathroom upstairs has a bath/shower combo, with toilet in the same room that you can close the door to, and double basins just before you go into the bathroom with a door closing it off from the hallway. Downstairs bathroom has a large walk in shower in it. Only our first dog put up with baths. He would go in the shower with DH, but only if the water was warm, and shook himself dry, before we could even get a towel to him.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Wet room, anyone?

This sort of thing.

My bathroom is a wet bathroom; there is a floor drain outside the shower, so I can hose off the toilet and floor. This house was built about 3 years ago, and when it was being built I asked for a floor drain.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Sep 25th 2021 at 10:48 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Do people prefer a bathtub-shower to a walk-in shower?

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
Front loading shower, top loading bath

Got myself a new top loader back in March, a Maytag commerical. Dual action agitator does good clothes turnover. Can soak clothes for as long as I want.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 11:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What I wasn't quite so pleased with is the second bathroom is a replica, except no loo...
Do you mean it tricks you and you go to use it only to realise it's not there?

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I guess in the old days, with a family of four + and only one bathroom, there were good reasons to have the WC separate!!
Or even six of us

Those side by sides were small too. I was on the potty once and my mum opened the door which pinched my delicate buttock between the door and the pot. "That was exceedingly painful" I said at the time. Or something like it.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 12:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
In the UK, in the old days, pre 1960s I would say, it was extremely common to have the toilet separate from the bathroom. And just a toilet, no washbasin! You still see it occasionally on listings in rightmove etc. (Usually the rest of the bathroom was right next door.) While I know there are good reasons to separate the WC from the toothbrushes etc., I personally wouldn’t buy a house now, where the WC was separate like that.

We had a bath and washbasin upstairs. We had a toilet downstairs in the back porch, no washbasin.

Hubby wasn’t as lucky. No bathroom or bath and the toilet was outside in the yard.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 12:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
We had a bath and washbasin upstairs. We had a toilet downstairs in the back porch, no washbasin.

Hubby wasn’t as lucky. No bathroom or bath and the toilet was outside in the yard.
You tell that to the young people of today!

Toilet? In the yard?

Luxury!
Old Sep 26th 2021, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Back to 2021. I rarely take a bath, prefer a shower. I dislike bath/showers, especially those with a curtain.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

We have a shower with just a big glass panel for access. I hate sliding doors and shower curtains and silly jacuzzi showers. Last one in squeegees the glass panel every time it's used.
Double wash basins, toilet and bidet. Room for a bath but it wouldn't get much use (we don't have a dog).
Old Sep 26th 2021, 10:52 pm
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I still love a soak in the bath but rarely do this now unless some aches and pains.

We have a walk in shower room downstairs. The mixer has the long hose . The room also has a vanity , loo and utility . The loo was in a small 1960's type room of its own but there was no wash hand-basin at all and I wasn't comfy with that idea so we knocked through and revamped. No en-suites in this house but that room can be directly accessed by one of the downstairs bedrooms & also via our small entrance hall. Obvs one can be locked against the other.

We have a bathroom upstairs . That has the bath , vanity and a loo. The bath has a shower/bath tap mixer with long hose but it isn't much cop for a shower because of the pressure.

Can't stick a shower with curtain as the curtain usually has a life of its own.. Find the showers where there is no long hose mixer a bit useless.

Until I was around 10 our family had an outside loo and no internal bathroom. It was a tin bath in a kitchen with soap and flannel. The council house had a loo with tiny wash hand basin downstairs and a proper bathroom upstairs . Was wonderful but Mum rationed the hot water.

I always wanted a bidet & would still love one. No room for one though.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 26th 2021 at 10:55 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2021, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly would not mind a bathroom of this size, so roomy and not like closet size...

Originally Posted by tht View Post
looks like an insurance liability nightmare… wet tile floor and a sharp corner and edge on the tub.

I went for a corner entry shower with glass doors. The black lines are on the outside so you can just use the windows cleaner on the inside.

Old Sep 27th 2021, 1:29 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I certainly would not mind a bathroom of this size, so roomy and not like closet size...
haha yes, that’s at our lake house, the “master” bath at our house in Fairfield is about the same size as the sink area up there… our bath down here is still the original 50’s one… promised the Mrs that we would do the baths here first if we brought this like house… and then of course that one has a leak and has to be done… boat and jet skis are joe even further down the line… but have a plan to get a Jeep I can Turo with the lake house so it can pay for itself…

Old Sep 27th 2021, 2:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht View Post
haha yes, that’s at our lake house, the “master” bath at our house in Fairfield is about the same size as the sink area up there… our bath down here is still the original 50’s one… promised the Mrs that we would do the baths here first if we brought this like house… and then of course that one has a leak and has to be done… boat and jet skis are joe even further down the line… but have a plan to get a Jeep I can Turo with the lake house so it can pay for itself…

You might already know this, but some photos are searchable on the internet so if you don't want people to know a lot about you proceed with caution!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 27th 2021 at 2:05 am.
Old Sep 27th 2021, 4:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You might already know this, but some photos are searchable on the internet so if you don't want people to know a lot about you proceed with caution!
Nice diamond pattern rugs and the wishing well looks quaint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.