Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do people prefer a bathtub-shower to a walk-in shower?

Do people prefer a bathtub-shower to a walk-in shower?

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do people prefer a bathtub-shower to a walk-in shower?

I much rather have a bathroom with a walk-in shower than a bathtub. I don't take baths, only showers. Most reasonably priced apartments anywhere have bathtub showers. When I was looking for apartments, I always wanted one with a walk-in shower, but those were most always out of my budget at the time.

I am curious: just how many people actually prefer a bathtub shower over a walk-in shower?
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do people prefer a bathtub-shower to a walk-in shower?

I would prefer just a walk in shower, I haven't taken a bath in probably 30 years now, my wife takes a bath from time to time so she likes having a tub.

Imagine with condos and apartments especially one bed one bath they use combo method to try and meet both shower and bath lovers needs with limited space available.

Seems 2 bedrooms often have the smaller bath with just a shower at least around my parts, but having 2 bathrooms is a luxury we cannot afford, although having 2 bathrooms would be ideal, or at least 2 toilets.

Our apartment in Vancouver had a high tub with shower, I could barely get in and out of the damn thing, I get people like deep tubs, but ffs a deep tubs makes for a crappy shower.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I much rather have a bathroom with a walk-in shower than a bathtub. I don't take baths, only showers. Most reasonably priced apartments anywhere have bathtub showers. When I was looking for apartments, I always wanted one with a walk-in shower, but those were most always out of my budget at the time.

I am curious: just how many people actually prefer a bathtub shower over a walk-in shower?
I’m with you, I prefer a good walk-in shower to a bathtub one. But, I like it to be fairly large, and have glass doors not a curtain. I guess a bathtub shower would be better than an uncomfortably small walk-in shower, like you often get in the UK. (Maybe US too.)

Part of it is I prefer the flat floor, rather than the curved bottom of a bathtub. The only time I encounter the bathtub situation is in a hotel
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I’m with you, I prefer a good walk-in shower to a bathtub one. But, I like it to be fairly large, and have glass doors not a curtain. I guess a bathtub shower would be better than an uncomfortably small walk-in shower, like you often get in the UK. (Maybe US too.)

Part of it is I prefer the flat floor, rather than the curved bottom of a bathtub. The only time I encounter the bathtub situation is in a hotel
I don't like bathtub-showers because they are small, because the shower is always the dimensions of the bathtub which is always too bloody narrow. And what makes it worse is when the shower curtain flaps around, hitting you as you try to shower. Shower curtains also do a poor job of keeping water in the shower area only. Being a germophobe I hate my body touching the curtain and bathtub sides as I try to shower; it always makes me feel icky.

When I need to stay at a hotel or resort, especially when I vacation overseas, I always look around for one with a walk-in shower. Fortunately I can view the bathroom online to see which ones have decent sized walk-in showers.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I don't like bathtub-showers because they are small, because the shower is always the dimensions of the bathtub which is always too bloody narrow. And what makes it worse is when the shower curtain flaps around, hitting you as you try to shower. Shower curtains also do a poor job of keeping water in the shower area only. Being a germophobe I hate my body touching the curtain and bathtub sides as I try to shower; it always makes me feel icky.

When I need to stay at a hotel or resort, especially when I vacation overseas, I always look around for one with a walk-in shower. Fortunately I can view the bathroom online to see which ones have decent sized walk-in showers.
I sometimes wonder if our neighbors secretly hate when I take a shower, its so narrow as you say, and being tall with long arms, well I can't take a shower without an elbow here and an elbow there hitting the wall, far too narrow I agree, and shower curtains never work great, always seems no matter how much you try, you end up hitting the curtain moving it just enough for water to escape, and I have never lived anywhere where the bathrub was remotely long enough for someone 6'4 so even if I liked baths, I still wouldn't take one just because of the very uncomfortably small size of most bathtubs in apartments.

I look forward to hotel stays as just about every hotel I have ever stayed in has a bigger bathroom, especially with counter, I wish apartments had properly sized sinks and counters so you know the bathroom stuff you need had someplace to go.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 5:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I like a walk-in shower and a separate bathtub best, but if I couldn't have both I'd take the walk-in shower over a tub/shower combination. I don't like the tub/shower combinations at all, for all the reasons mentioned plus they're a bloody hazard to climb in and out of.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I like a walk-in shower and a separate bathtub best, but if I couldn't have both I'd take the walk-in shower over a tub/shower combination. I don't like the tub/shower combinations at all, for all the reasons mentioned plus they're a bloody hazard to climb in and out of.
I could've have put it any better myself!
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Walk in shower.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 5:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I would just like a full-size bath tub. We can haggle over shower formats later. Why, in this country of giant people, the standard tub is made for people who are 4ft tall is anyone's guess.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 6:21 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Walk in shower.
+1
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

A decent ready-made walk-in shower and bathtub-shower are about the same price. My guess is that new apartments still keep installing bath-tubs because they believe that is what people want. Homes and apartments that are many years old are not going to spend the money to retrofit a walk-in shower. A walk-in shower always seems more posh, especially if it is a tiled shower.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:13 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Walk in shower for me.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:17 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if it's either or I'll have to take the bathtub shower. Although I take showers my kids take baths and it would be a nightmare trying to bathe a dog or cat in a shower so I need the functionality of both.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I guess if it's either or I'll have to take the bathtub shower. Although I take showers my kids take baths and it would be a nightmare trying to bathe a dog or cat in a shower so I need the functionality of both.
I was just thinking about what a bath-tub would be good for and thought about our dog. I used to bathe my cat in the utility sink. Our golden retriever is shampooed / washed in the shower; much easier to reach all over this body in the shower than in the tub. If we filled the tub for the dog, he would get the whole bathroom wet.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 8:06 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

For my own use I only need a shower, but as others note for you children / pets a bath is often needed. I think it also has an impact on RE listings. A shower only is 3/4 bath vs full bath:
https://www.hgtv.com/design/remodel/...e-quarter-bath

I recently had to remodel a bathroom that had been gutted due to a leak. It had an enclosed and very dark shower and separate large jetted tub (the source of the leak). It is a vacation house on a well and only has a 50 Gallon hot water heater so my compromise was to downsize the tub to a very small one with a shower wand for children/dogs, and build a new more open 40”x 40” shower with a rain head in the master. The hall bath has a shower tub combination so if I ever renovate that I will probably remove the bath and put in a large shower. I don’t think I would ever remove all the bathtubs in a house for resale and rental flexibility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.