Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cooking and supermarkets - help !!!

Cooking and supermarkets - help !!!

Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking and supermarkets - help !!!

Originally Posted by Tracym
I agree - muffin tins are not the same.

But muffin TOP tins appear to be. LOL some of us silly yanks apparently only like the tops of muffins, not the bottom part - so these are pans to make just the top part.

According to Keith anyway, they're pretty much the same as the yorkshire pud tins.

http://www.spoonsisters.com/Merchant...uct_Code=30208
I make 'em individually or in a baking pan-ALWAYS from scratch-although come to think of it never had an alternative. My aunt made the best puds I've ever had-here OR the UK.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

But muffin TOP tins appear to be. LOL some of us silly yanks apparently only like the tops of muffins, not the bottom part - so these are pans to make just the top part.

According to Keith anyway, they're pretty much the same as the yorkshire pud tins.

Probably are used primarily in the US for Popovers.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Probably are used primarily in the US for Popovers.
I'd imagine so - I couldn't believe there was actually a pan just to make muffin TOPS.

Supposedly they do make the "proper" size puds though. There are various places to order them online.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:00 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyndsay Abbott
Have just moved to Potomac in Maryland with Husband and two children and would very much like to do some cooking. Any tips on labels on food mostly purchased from Giant (only a couple of miles down the road and am still a bit scared driving !!!).

I was trying to just buy plain flour and ended up buying 'all purpose flour' but have no idea what will happen to my yorkshire puds if I use this one !!! Have promised my husband will do a proper Sunday roast this weekend. I don't do that much baking and I know most Americans buy cake mixes - but I have a bit of British pride that none of my baking will come from a packet.

We try and eat a healthy diet and trying to decipher the labels on packaging is a nightmare.

Help Help Help - please !!!
Wow - that is where I grew up!! Off River Rd. That Giant caused a bit of controversy when it came into Potomac... can't remember why though.
Pay attn while shopping... would often see Linda Carter and John Glenn shop there... (I think they live down falls rd twds Great Falls). Stallone's dad lives outthere and Sugar Ray Leonard.
Potomac Pizza did great pizza and italian subs when I was there.. don't know what they're like now! Ahh, memory lane.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a recipe in US measurements, with our flour etc. They always rise for me... (although now I live in terror I'll try to make them for company, and that will be the day they won't). Don't know if this will help.

btw.. we sell "Muffin Top Pans" here - which double perfectly for yorkshire pud tins if anyone needs one.

Yorkshire Pudding

Batter
1/2 pint milk (1 1/5 cup approx.)
4 oz all-purpose flour (scant 1 cup)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
pinch pepper

To Bake
fat drippings from roast beef (ideally, but anything should work)

1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2 Beat eggs till foamy with whire whisk.
3 Beat in milk and salt.
4 Gradually beat in flour till smooth.
5 Put some hot fat from roast into 8 tins, 4" across, 1/2" deep; put in oven till sizzling hot.
6 Swirl fat to coat pan; pour batter into tins.
7 Bake 20-30 minutes; do not disturb while cooking.

I matched this recipe up with a one from a friend in Yorkshire - seems the same thing.
Looks like more wet ingredients than the recipe I use which is the Delia Smith one.
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/y...ng,745,RC.html I add one egg white to this.

Last edited by nethead; Aug 29th 2008 at 5:17 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Those look shallower and bigger in diameter than tins from home I use. See if I can find a link.
ETA:
These are the type I use but they are bun tins rather than 'traditional' YP ones: The shallow ones rather than the deep.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/my-kitchen...ct/10940_10949

Last edited by nethead; Aug 29th 2008 at 5:14 pm. Reason: add link
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Those look shallower and bigger in diameter than tins from home I use. See if I can find a link.
ETA:
These are the type I use but they are bun tins rather than 'traditional' YP ones: The shallow ones rather than the deep.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/my-kitchen...ct/10940_10949
Those look more similar to our muffin tins. Which work fine too imo - just make a different shape.

I was concerned with the muffin top tins - as they are so shallow. But the puds just puff way up over them and come out quite nicely.

As far as amt. of wet ingredients - I'm sure there are a bunch of recipes. That one did come from Yorkshire, and works for me... but no idea if its "the best" - I've never had anyone elses
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Lyndsay Abbott will become famous soon enough

I bake mine in the mini muffin pan I bought from Pampered Chef !!??

Anyways back to conversions - creams next - we have double and single cream and I need some double cream for a recipe - can you help ??
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyways back to conversions - creams next - we have double and single cream and I need some double cream for a recipe - can you help ??
Double cream = heavy/whipping cream (not quite as heavy, but the best you will do

Single cream = Half & Half

Both in the dairy section near the milk.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Heavy cream = double
Half and half = single

BTW if / when you get to making Xmas puddings - suet just aint the same here, and candied fruit / peel is only available near xmas. At least that's what I found in this area (MA / RI)

Also I've found (with my oven anyway) that the cooking is way slower - no fans, bigger oven and the element is at the bottom so stuff doesn't brown as easily - you have to use the broiler for a final brown....

I'll think of more stuff later I'm sure....
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that - will I be able to get cocoa powder ??

Any recommendations for cooking chocolate ? - can you get white chocolate here ??

Have a sweet tooth - someone has just sent me a box of celebration chocolates from home - am very happy !!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Heavy cream = double
Half and half = single

BTW if / when you get to making Xmas puddings - suet just aint the same here, and candied fruit / peel is only available near xmas. At least that's what I found in this area (MA / RI)

Also I've found (with my oven anyway) that the cooking is way slower - no fans, bigger oven and the element is at the bottom so stuff doesn't brown as easily - you have to use the broiler for a final brown....

I'll think of more stuff later I'm sure....
If you find a butcher, and ask them specifically for kidney suet I believe it's pretty good (so I've been told).

I once got the stuff and ground it myself (quite the project, but it was good).

I suspect the suet pre-ground in the grocery store is all sorts of stuff, not just the kidney suet (which is the good stuff). So I always ask a butcher for it.

True, you can just get the candied peel near xmas. Although it isn't too hard to make yourself if you're desperate (which I was one year, as the pudding needed to start too far in advance of xmas)
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that - will I be able to get cocoa powder ??

Any recommendations for cooking chocolate ? - can you get white chocolate here ??

Have a sweet tooth - someone has just sent me a box of celebration chocolates from home - am very happy !!
Cocoa powder - all sorts available. Hershey's is our "standard". Sometimes you can find Droste.

White chocolate is available - but be careful, there is something that looks like it but is a substitute, and is nasty. Make sure what you get has actual cocoa in it - often something imported. Edit: I think it's cocoa that belongs in there, I'm going to have a search and make sure I'm right on that.

Ghirardelli seems ok for cooking chocolate - except I'm not sure what you mean... baking chocolate (unsweetened entirely) exists in the baking aisle. There are all sorts of milk chocoloate or semi-sweet chocolates to use in baking.

What are you making, and what kind of chocolate does it call for?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cocoa butter is the ingredient you want in white chocolate - to differentiate it from the nasty substitute.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

it's a chocolate pudding - at home I would normally use eating chocolate rather than our yucky baking chocolate. Will probably try and buy some Lindt - if it's the same Swiss stuff we get at home !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.