Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cooking and supermarkets - help !!!

Cooking and supermarkets - help !!!

Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:23 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking and supermarkets - help !!!

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I havent managed to find any decent cream and its pissing me off!!

Anyone know if anywhere sells that frozen shortcrust/filo/puff pastry that we could buy back home??
You can get frozen puff/filo pastry but the sheets of puff pastry are smaller than UK sheets and they don't join together easily.
I haven't seen fresh pastry anywhere.

I make my own shortcrust because those pie shells have a slight sweet taste.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
hmmm are those pie crusts sweet or savory?? I need this for savory fillings?
No, they'd be intended for desserts - fruit pies, etc. They're not exceptionally sweet, but...

We don't really make a lot of savory pies here - I doubt you will find a pre-made crust like a suet crust, if that's what you're looking for. There might be something, but I'm not aware of it. I have seen puff pastry used for savory dishes - but agin you might find it too sweet.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:30 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
No, they'd be intended for desserts - fruit pies, etc. They're not exceptionally sweet, but...

We don't really make a lot of savory pies here - I doubt you will find a pre-made crust like a suet crust, if that's what you're looking for. There might be something, but I'm not aware of it. I have seen puff pastry used for savory dishes - but agin you might find it too sweet.
no worries - i shall make my own!

cheers
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:41 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
a suet crust
hmmm - i could so eat a suet crusted steak pie right now!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyndsay Abbott
blimey - maybe I'll just buy a pudding - it's to take around a new American friends house - it's a hot chocolate pudding so will be pretty cr*p if the chocolate doesn't melt.

May just take flowers and wine !!!
American chocolate melts fine in the microwave Cadbury does better over the hot water.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:18 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Washington DC area.

There are some interesting groceries around here if you do a bit of hunting. Up in your neck of the woods there are a couple of Chinese and Korean places, along with a few Hispanic / International markets as well. There's a very nice Japanese place in Bethesda.

For more Western food, you should also check out Whole Foods (all over that part) or a chain called Wegmans. The nearest Wegmans to you is over the river in Virginia, with one in Fairfax and one in Sterling (Dulles Airport). A Maryland store in the Largo area (about 25 minutes from you with no traffic) will be opening soon. Wegmans has a very small section of UK food (and German and French and Russian, etc). Only a couple of shelves but a few staples you may be missing.

Anyway, definitely get some driving time. The back roads up there are a good place to start before working your way up to 270 and the Beltway. Stay off of the Rockville Pike/355 at all costs. Most locals can't stand that stetch of sprawl but have to go on it from time to time.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:20 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I baked my first loaf of bread the other day. I feel quite accomplished.

Of course I did it in a bread maker which was kind of cheating, but hey, I'm learning.

Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Pastry - I make my own - including shortcrust, really not that difficult....

Chocolate - Ghiradelli for cooking - their semi sweet is pretty good and Lindt is the same as we get at home, actually I tend to mix semi sweet Ghiradelli and 70% Lindt for my now regionally famous brownies....(lost count of the number of times I've been asked for the recipe / to make them for various occassions) No-one can believe they're made by a Brit - always get "they're the best I've ever had" even from my non-dessert eating OH.

Happy to post the recipe if anyone's interested....

Wholefoods is a good call for international stuff - although V expensive, don't know about the other chain as they're not in this area. Shaws and Stop and Shop have English stuff here (New England - at a premium.

Suet I finally managed to get from the local "English" store - again expensive - won't make that mistake again, last trip to England bought a tonne of the veggie stuff back ditto dried fruit.

Oh and marzipan tastes nasty here too - I made my own, although I couldn't get ground almonds so I ground my own in the food processor (and again bought some over last time I was home)

Sh1t I sound like Delia Smith or someone!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by penguinsix
By the way, I baked my first loaf of bread the other day. I feel quite accomplished.

Of course I did it in a bread maker which was kind of cheating, but hey, I'm learning.

http://www.penguinsix.com/images/bread.jpg
Looks great - how did it taste????
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Looks great - how did it taste????
Actually it was too salty. The recipe called for 2 tblsp of salt for a 2 lb loaf, and you could definitely taste it too much. I'm going to make another one in just a bit actually, but with probably half the salt or less.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Actually it was too salty. The recipe called for 2 tblsp of salt for a 2 lb loaf, and you could definitely taste it too much. I'm going to make another one in just a bit actually, but with probably half the salt or less.
Oh shame - keep experimenting!

Gotta be better than "Wonderc**p" either way!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:45 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

2 TBSP?? You sure it wasn't 2 TSP?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
2 TBSP?? You sure it wasn't 2 TSP?
Actually I think it was 2 tsp on recollection, but even that was too much. Will give it another go in a bit. Was looking to do another recipe but figure I should stick with this basic one until I get it right.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I think it was 2 tsp on recollection, but even that was too much. Will give it another go in a bit. Was looking to do another recipe but figure I should stick with this basic one until I get it right.
Well in any event, it looked good,
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:19 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Pastry - I make my own - including shortcrust, really not that difficult....

Chocolate - Ghiradelli for cooking - their semi sweet is pretty good and Lindt is the same as we get at home, actually I tend to mix semi sweet Ghiradelli and 70% Lindt for my now regionally famous brownies....(lost count of the number of times I've been asked for the recipe / to make them for various occassions) No-one can believe they're made by a Brit - always get "they're the best I've ever had" even from my non-dessert eating OH.

Happy to post the recipe if anyone's interested....

Wholefoods is a good call for international stuff - although V expensive, don't know about the other chain as they're not in this area. Shaws and Stop and Shop have English stuff here (New England - at a premium.

Suet I finally managed to get from the local "English" store - again expensive - won't make that mistake again, last trip to England bought a tonne of the veggie stuff back ditto dried fruit.

Oh and marzipan tastes nasty here too - I made my own, although I couldn't get ground almonds so I ground my own in the food processor (and again bought some over last time I was home)

Sh1t I sound like Delia Smith or someone!

ohhh yes please....or might I find it in the receipe thread?

and your bread looks lovely..*drool*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.