Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cooking and supermarkets - help !!!

Cooking and supermarkets - help !!!

Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:53 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking and supermarkets - help !!!

[QUOTE=mellybrown;6729121]I havent managed to find any decent cream and its pissing me off!!QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ri_mischief;6728611]Heavy cream = double
Half and half = single

There is also Table cream = Single cream, it has a higher fat % than half and half and is more like our Single cream
Old Aug 31st 2008, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lisag8070
ohhh yes please....or might I find it in the receipe thread?

and your bread looks lovely..*drool*
Here you go - seriously these are GREAT brownies

8 1 ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate
1 cup butter
5 eggs
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
11/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
21/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat; set aside. In a mixer, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed for 10 minutes. Blend in chocolate mixture, flour and salt until just mixed. Stir in the nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. (Don't overbake.) Cool and frost if desired, but that is not necessary.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:50 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for the receipe....I think I might even try doing it later...
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

thank you for the receipe....I think I might even try doing it later...
Cool - let me know how they turn out!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:57 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Cool - let me know how they turn out!
arrgh!!....I don't have enough eggs...
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

arrgh!!....I don't have enough eggs...
Oh no - go buy some!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:43 pm
Last orders please...

Oh no - go buy some!
I will tommorow I promise....
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Actually it was too salty. The recipe called for 2 tblsp of salt for a 2 lb loaf, and you could definitely taste it too much.
Use 2 TBSP of sugar instead of salt.

You're welcome.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:46 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Use 2 TBSP of sugar instead of salt.

You're welcome.
Sugar feeds the yeast,
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:41 pm
Last orders please...

Here you go - seriously these are GREAT brownies

8 1 ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate
1 cup butter
5 eggs
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
11/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
21/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat; set aside. In a mixer, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed for 10 minutes. Blend in chocolate mixture, flour and salt until just mixed. Stir in the nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. (Don't overbake.) Cool and frost if desired, but that is not necessary.
well I've finally made the brownies and it is delicious...(I made it without the nuts) and it got the from the family...

I have to admit when I read the receipe and saw the amount of sugar I thought it had to be a typo...but no, it was right...because it turned out awesome...

thanks again for the receipe...
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

well I've finally made the brownies and it is delicious...(I made it without the nuts) and it got the from the family...

I have to admit when I read the receipe and saw the amount of sugar I thought it had to be a typo...but no, it was right...because it turned out awesome...

thanks again for the receipe...
Hey - no problem - glad you all enjoyed!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I may be showing my ignorance a bit, but what is the suet that you all use? The only suet I've ever seen is used for bird feed (like for the big squares woodpeckers eat), not human consumption. What do you use the suet for?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:34 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

suet is a slowly breaking down fat - so used in pudddings that are cooked slowly help keeping them moist etc. Typically in steam puddings (and when i say pudding i mean the english version of the word pudding which can be savoury or sweet like a pie crust and not the us blamange version) like treacle pudding, bacon pudding, xmas pudding, spotted dick etc
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I may be showing my ignorance a bit, but what is the suet that you all use? The only suet I've ever seen is used for bird feed (like for the big squares woodpeckers eat), not human consumption. What do you use the suet for?
It's the fat around the kidneys I think. In the UK it comes in boxes (there's also a veggie version), already in a kind of large breadcrumb form. It's dried in the UK too, and doesn't need to be kept cold.

As MsElui said, it's a slow melting fat. You can substitute butter / shortening, but the puddings (see her definition) are heavier and soggier in most cases.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyndsay Abbott
Thanks for that - I was a bit of a Pampered Chef fan in England so have a 'cup' measure so should be well away !!

This is the first time I have ever used a discussion forum - how do I get to the recipe lounge ??
An American cup is different to a British cup is different to an Aussie cup....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.