Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Old Jun 14th 2016, 5:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Saw this interesting take on the issue. Apparently the question is not as clear as some would wish or hope. ....
Nothing in that article is news to me. I mentioned the fact that freedom of movement is a function of EEA membership, not EU membership, so often on BE that I got sick of repeating myself.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nothing in that article is news to me. I mentioned the fact that freedom of movement is a function of EEA membership, not EU membership, so often on BE that I got sick of repeating myself.
The same drum I've often been beating to seemingly little effect.

A mandate to leave the EU isn't a mandate to leave the EEA despite what Messers Gove and Johnson say. Given that the government and all the major parties are in favour of our continued membership of the EU they will be very keen to maintain the status quo as much as possible which in practical terms means remaining in the single market (which is what received the popular mandate in the 1975 referendum) so you can be certain that whoever is in charge of the negotiations will either getting us to rejoin EFTA (the 'Norway option') or sign a series of bilateral treaties (the 'Switzerland option') to keep us in the EEA.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is not a member of the EEA according to this https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The UK is not a member of the EEA according to this https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea
Read it again.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My mistake

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There has been such a bombardment of spurious , fuzzy and sometimes incorrect information, how is anyone supposed to make an rational decision?
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:28 pm

There has been such a bombardment of spurious , fuzzy and sometimes incorrect information, how is anyone supposed to make an rational decision?
Do your own research. I've yet to see either side put up an argument or make a statement that wasn't at least a half-truth, misrepresentation or exaggeration, particularly in regard to immigration and the single market, with the notable exception of Daniel Hannan for the Leave campaign but even he is susceptible to hyperbole.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So would we leave the EU and join the EEA? I am assuming that would be the logical step. So what exactly does leaving the EU mean with regards to trade and freedom of movement? If it doesn't affect these two things, what's all the commotion about?

Some of this just doesn't make sense
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Some of this just doesn't make sense
Some of it does?
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Read it again.
But is it a member of the EEA merely by virtue of collectively being a member of the EU or because it individually joined it?

So would we leave the EU and join the EEA? I am assuming that would be the logical step. So what exactly does leaving the EU mean with regards to trade and freedom of movement? If it doesn't affect these two things, what's all the commotion about?
I will lol at all the anti-immigration Brexiters if the UK ends up having to accept the free movement of labour either to continue to be in the EEA or to have a free trade deal with the EU (a la Switzerland).

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 14th 2016 at 11:53 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:35 am

All I see is the small white square, and I can't even copy the link into a browser.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
All I see is the small white square, and I can't even copy the link into a browser.
Take the text from the url you quoted and delete everything after the .jpg extension.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Odd it shows fine in my browser.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Take the text from the url you quoted and delete everything after the .jpg extension.
That's exactly what I did - I know a thing or two about färting around with web addresses and browsers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.