Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Apart from the exchange rate , does anyone have views on what the consequences will be if the UK leaves Europe. Will I be able to keep my European passport? Will my kids be able to apply for a European passport? Will it affect working options in Europe? I haven't heard much on the news except how it may affect business.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

This might give an insight...

https://view.publitas.com/british-in...o-leave/page/1

I've also heard it suggested that the UK would essentially enter into bilateral agreements that cover all the aspects that the EU previously did. So no real change (except for global wide economic panic).
Old Feb 29th 2016, 4:30 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to hear why the US seems so keen for the UK to stay in the EU.

Do they think they'll have more proxy influence that way? Or are they just backing up Cameron?
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Apart from the exchange rate , does anyone have views on what the consequences will be if the UK leaves Europe. Will I be able to keep my European passport? Will my kids be able to apply for a European passport? Will it affect working options in Europe? I haven't heard much on the news except how it may affect business.
There's no such thing as a 'European passport'. If the UK leaves the EU then British citizens would also cease to be European citizens.

British citizens' ability to live and work in the rest of the EU/EEA will depend on the arrangements made during the two year negotiation period following the referendum until 'Brexit'. If the UK leaves the EU but remains within the EEA then the current arrangements will continue unaffected.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:25 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I'm interested to hear why the US seems so keen for the UK to stay in the EU.

Do they think they'll have more proxy influence that way? Or are they just backing up Cameron?
The issue is about the stability of the EU, the world's 2nd or 3rd largest economy (some argue it is actually the world's largest), and a peaceful western democracy, all of which is very much in America's interests to maintain. After all, if it falls apart, guess who will have to clean up the mess?

The EU is a young and not entirely sorted form of government, and isn't quite yet a "nation", and as such, demonstrably suffers some frailties and chronic crises (for now), and a brexit could have a very negative, uncertain impact on the stability of the EU as a whole. In the worst-case scenario, everybody loses, including Britain.

Britain therefore needs to wait until the EU has achieved more " political integration" (read: becomes a "nation") before leaving and potentially, contributing substantially to its failure. The latest negotiations ensure Britain will have that option when the time comes.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, geez... c'mon people!

Ian

Old Feb 29th 2016, 11:52 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Talk to Nigel c/o UKIP. He has the answers
Old Mar 1st 2016, 4:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was life before the EU, there will be life after it.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
But what will all the scared, paranoid, fearmongers have to shit their pants over afterwards though?

Actually, one can paraphrase you to answer that. There was immigration before the EU, there'll be immigration after it
Old Mar 1st 2016, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

The Swiss are doing fine , so I don't get the doom and gloom pro-E.U. naysayers.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I am too young to remember not being in the EU. We have been in the EU for around 40 years now. The world is a very different place to 40 years ago. Lot less trade quotas I believe.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The Swiss are doing fine , so I don't get the doom and gloom pro-E.U. naysayers.
Not quite the same league, have you compare the chocolate and watches. Very different quality
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:02 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If the UK leaves the EU but remains within the EEA then the current arrangements will continue unaffected.
Which is the biggest laugh about the whole thing - no-one really knows what would happen. If the UK stays in the EEA, most directives would still apply but the UK would have no say in them.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
You clearly haven't read up on the mess their referendum on leaving Schengen caused.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 10:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Which is the biggest laugh about the whole thing - no-one really knows what would happen. If the UK stays in the EEA, most directives would still apply but the UK would have no say in them.
Which is why those pointing towards Norway as an example to follow don't make much sense.

The two biggest complaints most people have about 'Europe' - unrestricted immigration from EU countries and the role of the ECHR in overturning British legal decisions - would be wholly unaffected by Brexit as the UK would continue to be a member of the EEA and CoE respectively.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.