Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Old Jun 11th 2016, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Reading about the English"fans" in Marseille today, I suppose it is possible that Europe might vote to kick us out.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 10:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
That requires a separate treaty - it is not automatic.

It typically requires acceptance & conformance to EU rules & regs on trade & free movement of EU citizens, health & safety etc - all the areas the LEAVE campaigners seem to have a problem with.
We're already members of the EEA separately to the EU. The referendum only gives the government a mandate for us to leave the EU and even then it is not legally binding on Parliament. They could choose to ignore the result.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 12:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
..... They could choose to ignore the result.
That would be interesting! If they do that, I foresee a vote of "no confidence", and a general election. ..... Resulting in a large swing to the UKIP, with potentially enough UKIP seats to form a government with the Eurosceptic Conservatives.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 6:41 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Most brexiters want to delay invoking article 50 as long as possible. Two years isn't enough negotiating time, particularly considering that the EU will have the upper hand in every aspect.

In the mean time, the uncertainty during that period will likely put a stop to most inward investment, property sales will slow to a snail's pace, unemployment will rise, and obviously, the pound will be valued at low levels not seen in generations, which will cause rapid inflation.

The more likely result is widespread anger against the (conservative) establishment and anyone remotely connected to brexit, which of course will result in political turmoil...

And that certainly won't play into UKIPs favour. Rather more likely, Labour or the liberals in general.

I've been saying for a while now that a vote for brexit is effectively, a vote for Labour.

We shall see ...

Last edited by amideislas; Jun 12th 2016 at 6:59 am.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I see the exchange rate fell to $1.38 on Feb 26. I wonder how far it will fall on a Brexit. From my knowledge of the exchange rate it rarely falls below $1.40. As far as I remember it has not been below $1.30.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I see the exchange rate fell to $1.38 on Feb 26. I wonder how far it will fall on a Brexit. From my knowledge of the exchange rate it rarely falls below $1.40. As far as I remember it has not been below $1.30.
Your memory is waaay off. The GBP/USD rate fell to $1.04, back in 1985.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 13th 2016 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I remember it has not been below $1.30.
You are almost right, except for a time in 1984/85 when, at its lowest, it got down to 1.0438

Zoom on historical exchange rates graph
Old Jun 13th 2016, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your memory is waaay off. The GBP/USD rate fell to $1.04, back in 1987 IIRC.
I was still at school so I had more interesting things going on than exchange rates. That is a long time ago, was it caused by the ERM?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 6:07 pm

I was still at school so I had more interesting things going on than exchange rates. That is a long time ago, was it caused by the ERM?
The final sharp drop was mostly speculation, similar to the recent collapse in the price of oil, as evidenced by the equally sharp bounc back upwards to $1.30. If there is a sharp drop in the value of sterling after the Brexit vote, I am certain it will also be a short term phenomenon.

The ERM-created sterling crisis was in 1992, IIRC. And sterling crashing out of the ERM was almost immediately beneficial to Britain, as will be Brexit, assuming enough people vote the right way.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 13th 2016 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If there is a sharp drop in the value of sterling after the Brexit vote, I am certain it will also be a short term phenomenon.
Maybe a good time to buy some sterling
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Will we see it return to its rightful level of £1 = US$4.80 ? Not this side of Armagedon !
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Will we see it return to its rightful level of £1 = US$4.80 ? Not this side of Armagedon !
What are the chances of that happening in August? I've got some money coming to me from my mum's estate and it'd be handy to have a favourable exchange rate at the time.

Yeah, I know that's horrible, but we can use every extra dollar we can get.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're lucky if it gets any where near $1.65 at the moment.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You're lucky if it gets any where near $1.65 at the moment.
I know. $1.41 right now, which would be great if we were changing money into Pounds but a bit shit going the other way.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this interesting take on the issue. Apparently the question is not as clear as some would wish or hope.

https://medium.com/@WhiteWednesday/e...3f0#.5ak8ohv3n

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.