Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Old Jun 23rd 2016, 1:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'd be happy to discover if I was descended from Vikings somewhere way back when. Both my maternal and paternal lines are Scottish, so there's probably a good chance I am.

I'm a bit short for a Viking though, but my nose isn't big enough to be Roman, so I'm probably a Celt.
So this sort of thing?

I have a lot of random Irish (so probably Celt) plus some Norman (so Viking) plus a lot of other stuff that nobody's admitting to, like most Brits.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 1:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
So this sort of thing?

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...gif-456910.jpg

I have a lot of random Irish (so probably Celt) plus some Norman (so Viking) plus a lot of other stuff that nobody's admitting to, like most Brits.
I'm more of a Rangers man, myself. Plus I'd rather cut my own arm off than get one of those bloody sleeve tattoos

I keep meaning to have one of those DNA tests done, just for shits and grins, to see what really is in there. Doubt there's a simple 'Scottish' marker, so it'd be interesting to see what it is made up of.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

What if you find out you have Grizzly Bear DNA?
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I have learnt about EEA and EFTA

1. If we leave the EU and join the EEA (the Norway model) then we will have to accept free movement of people (and most EU regulation but with no say in it)

2. We could try to join EFTA ( the Swiss model) but, you guessed it, we have to accept free movement of people and the European Council has already said no more EFTA. Oh and there's no financial services passport, one reason why Swiss Banks operate from London

3. The fallback is WTO trading rules but that means tariffs on 80% of our exports to the EU (40% of our trade). That will naturally make UK companies less competitive

And for added interest any current EEA or EFTA member can veto us joining one of those organisations. So Norway blocked Slovakia for example. If we beat Iceland in the football they might retaliate by blocking our EEA membership
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 11:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
This is what I have learnt about EEA and EFTA

1. If we leave the EU and join the EEA (the Norway model) then we will have to accept free movement of people (and most EU regulation but with no say in it)
If free movement of people is a problem we should follow the Liechtenstein model who, as members of both EFTA and EEA, do have the ability to restrict immigration from inside the EEA/EU.

2. We could try to join EFTA ( the Swiss model) but, you guessed it, we have to accept free movement of people and the European Council has already said no more EFTA. Oh and there's no financial services passport, one reason why Swiss Banks operate from London
See above for free movement of people. The European Council does not have any control over EFTA. Remaining in the single market by virtue of EEA membership would remove the necessity to negotiate a financial services passport.

3. The fallback is WTO trading rules but that means tariffs on 80% of our exports to the EU (40% of our trade). That will naturally make UK companies less competitive
WTO rules are the worse case scenario and are unlikely. Even if that were the case 4% is the standard tariff. The drop in value of the pound against the Euro is likely to more than cover this.

And for added interest any current EEA or EFTA member can veto us joining one of those organisations. So Norway blocked Slovakia for example. If we beat Iceland in the football they might retaliate by blocking our EEA membership
Not sure where you're getting that from. Slovakia has been a member of the EU since 2004.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God, the pound is in free fall.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just fell 6% in about 5 minutes
Old Jun 24th 2016, 12:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 24th 2016, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Leave is in the lead at the moment, but it's been close from the start. Might want to buy some sterling tomorrow
Old Jun 24th 2016, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pound is down to $1.36 time for a cheap holiday to the UK. Still falling
Old Jun 24th 2016, 2:54 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Leave already have it the bag - 80% chance

Never prouder of the old country
Old Jun 24th 2016, 2:59 am

Leave half a million ahead with more than half the results counted.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now I need to go find the thread on the best option to buy pounds. It's down 10% or more now
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Leave half a million ahead with more than half the results counted.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:16 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Flights to the UK won't be any cheaper, sadly. Was hoping for a first trip back in 10 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.