Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British..but how much?

Wikiposts

British..but how much?

Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:29 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British..but how much?

[QUOTE=Moribundian]Do you find that after a while you begin to take on the characteristics of the indigenous? I mean do you find that you you begin to think like an American? This has always fascinated me. I always imagined that, through necessity, one would have to think 'gas' instead of petrol, 'cookie' instead of biscuit etc. - but does it begin to turn you American? Do you find yourself laughing at American humour because you have no alternative ,or becoming demandingly aggressive because that is how things are done over there. Does time dilute your Britishness? Have you changed for the better or worse? I reiterate - I truly wish to know your views, not to disparage!

May I request that each respondent give a percentage (out of 100) of how 'British' they feel at present.

100% British here, but you do what you have to do to live in someone else's country. I've been here too long to not have become somewhat American in my mannerisms but that is no way by choice, it just happens over time.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:38 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=blaze]
Originally Posted by Moribundian

100% British here, but you do what you have to do to live in someone else's country. I've been here too long to not have become somewhat American in my mannerisms but that is no way by choice, it just happens over time.

i'll never eat my food like this lot do..can't stand the way they stab their meat like it's gonna run away and cut it into little pieces...then proceed to shovel it in their mouth with their fork...i know they can't help it coz that's the way they've been taught but it's so gross and looks so clumsy
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:49 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TruBrit]
Originally Posted by blaze

i'll never eat my food like this lot do..can't stand the way they stab their meat like it's gonna run away and cut it into little pieces...then proceed to shovel it in their mouth with their fork...i know they can't help it coz that's the way they've been taught but it's so gross and looks so clumsy

Slurping soup is worse, YUCH! Me, I still put my knife and fork together on the plate when I'm done with a meal and I've been here neally 16 years!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:54 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=blaze]
Originally Posted by TruBrit

Slurping soup is worse, YUCH! Me, I still put my knife and fork together on the plate when I'm done with a meal and I've been here neally 16 years!
yes i always do so does my usc hubs...lol
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:55 am
Blondie22

[QUOTE=TruBrit]

You've trained him well!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:56 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=blaze]
Originally Posted by TruBrit

You've trained him well!
you've got to ...lol
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TruBrit]

So do we and our daughter does the same.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:24 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

All the way ... from Chicago to DC.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:46 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: British..but how much?

[QUOTE=blaze]
Do you find that after a while you begin to take on the characteristics of the indigenous? I mean do you find that you you begin to think like an American? This has always fascinated me. I always imagined that, through necessity, one would have to think 'gas' instead of petrol, 'cookie' instead of biscuit etc. - but does it begin to turn you American? Do you find yourself laughing at American humour because you have no alternative ,or becoming demandingly aggressive because that is how things are done over there. Does time dilute your Britishness? Have you changed for the better or worse? I reiterate - I truly wish to know your views, not to disparage!

May I request that each respondent give a percentage (out of 100) of how 'British' they feel at present..
About 10%. I regard myself as a citizen of the world, more than just being British. Every place you travel to, you leave something of yourself there, and take something away with you. A new outlook, or maybe just a new shirt.

Last edited by kingfisher241049; Apr 26th 2006 at 11:49 am.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:41 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Do you find that after a while you begin to take on the characteristics of the indigenous? I mean do you find that you you begin to think like an American? This has always fascinated me. I always imagined that, through necessity, one would have to think 'gas' instead of petrol, 'cookie' instead of biscuit etc. - but does it begin to turn you American? Do you find yourself laughing at American humour because you have no alternative ,or becoming demandingly aggressive because that is how things are done over there. Does time dilute your Britishness? Have you changed for the better or worse? I reiterate - I truly wish to know your views, not to disparage!

May I request that each respondent give a percentage (out of 100) of how 'British' they feel at present.

Inland Review
hmmm maybe 10 %

I've been here 10 years and apart from a 3 month stay in the U.k in the very beginning I've only had a 2 week stay since ....over 5 years ago.....we've just been too skint and as much as i love and miss everybody back home..my family and priorities lie here.....now it finally looks like we have the cash to go back for a visit I can think of a hundred other things I want to do...doesn't seem to make sense to pay all that money to go to my crappy home town when everyone there is saving up for Orlando

then again I've forgotten what it feels like to be around lots of Brits to be in the U.k ...I definitely have become Americanised....and I don't think of that as a bad thing which just shows how bad I have it

I do enjoy coming on here though some of the gripes many people have though are of things I can barely even remember...you've got to adjust ....go with the flow or you'll just be miserable.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:43 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
and yet when the Muslims of Bradford don't want to assimilate, we think they should be deported.
haha ...bloody priceless!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
hmmm maybe 10 %

I've been here 10 years and apart from a 3 month stay in the U.k in the very beginning I've only had a 2 week stay since ....over 5 years ago.....we've just been too skint and as much as i love and miss everybody back home..my family and priorities lie here.....now it finally looks like we have the cash to go back for a visit I can think of a hundred other things I want to do...doesn't seem to make sense to pay all that money to go to my crappy home town when everyone there is saving up for Orlando

then again I've forgotten what it feels like to be around lots of Brits to be in the U.k ...I definitely have become Americanised....and I don't think of that as a bad thing which just shows how bad I have it

I do enjoy coming on here though some of the gripes many people have though are of things I can barely even remember...you've got to adjust ....go with the flow or you'll just be miserable.

Well said CA

PS Remind me to K you tomorrow 'cos I'm out today.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
About 10%. I regard myself as a citizen of the world, more than just being British. Every place you travel to, you leave something of yourself there,
Speak for yourself, some of us flush it away
Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
and take something away with you. A new outlook, or maybe just a new shirt.
There we are similar, I also shoplift
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:37 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Just so long as none of you have turned into scrapbooking, cup-stacking, spelling bee freaks....

That goes for you Yanks, too....
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: British..but how much?

Originally Posted by rushman
Speak for yourself, some of us flush it away
There we are similar, I also shoplift
I never shoplift. Do you know how much those things weigh? How can you run away holding a 1000 ton shop or something? Nah!! You would get caught straight away. How could you fit it in the Mini Cooper??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.