Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Back to school - don't bring peanuts

Back to school - don't bring peanuts

Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to school - don't bring peanuts

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I'm surprised by your insults. Over 2000 people have viewed this thread, .....
It's been viewed over 2,000 times, that is not the same thing, about 20 of those times are me, and I'd guess that 8-10 other people have viewed it as often.

In any case, among however many people have viewed it, only Boiler stands out as someone who gone on record with any sympathy for your viewpoint. If BE thread statistics are your measure, your view is apparently rarer than the incidence of peanut allergy.
..... my empathy towards children, the ones that need it.
Please can you explain why children who have a severe allergic reaction to peanuts don't need your empathy?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 17th 2014 at 12:19 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
My daughter and I are both allergic to the adhesive in traditional elastoplast, the pink fabric type, to the extent that wounds won't heal until the allergic reaction has subsided. As this is not in the life threatening category it can be difficult to get other people to take it seriously and why my first aid box at work contains a wide variety of adhesive dressings. My hospital notes have "allergic to tape" written boldly across them.

As I child I was an oddity in having an allergy other than hayfever.
I am allergic to the white surgical tape the doctors use. I get red and itchy...when the tape is pulled off it takes my skin with it.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am allergic to the white surgical tape the doctors use. I get red and itchy...when the tape is pulled off it takes my skin with it.
I have very few allergies, other than penicillin and poison ivy, and the only other time I had an unexpected allergic reaction was when the blood donor service in the UK started using "hypoallergenic" surgical tape. I can leave any other plaster on for days and never have a problem. Thankfully my allergic reaction stops at an itchy rash, it has not cost me pieces of my skin.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have very few allergies, other than penicillin and poison ivy, and the only other time I had an unexpected allergic reaction was when the blood donor service in the UK started using "hypoallergenic" surgical tape. I can leave any other plaster on for days and never have a problem. Thankfully my allergic reaction stops at an itchy rash, it has not cost me pieces of my skin.
I am allergic to some prescription meds...Cipro being one of them. Unfortunately that is the gold standard med for a condition I had. I experienced just about every adverse reaction listed...also finished up with CDiff and that wasn't a pleasant experience.

I also react to the adhesive on the pads used for EKGs. I had surgery 5 weeks ago and still have itchy, red rectangular marks on my body.

Thank gawd I'm not allergic to alcohol.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 1:28 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl;11371901
Thank gawd I'm not allergic to alcohol. [/QUOTE]

Amen to that! That really would be the pits
Old Aug 17th 2014, 2:27 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Did you grow up in the UK?
Yes I grew up in Scotland, and it may be just my memory but the peanut is much more of a standard item here in the USA as it grown here in the South.

Overall as medicine has advanced we have become more aware of different allergies and offer more friendly options such as glutton free products for conditions that are not as deadly as the nut allergies but still affect people's lives.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
Yes I grew up in Scotland, and it may be just my memory but the peanut is much more of a standard item here in the USA as it grown here in the South. ....
Certainly peanuts are more common here in the US, and much more peanut butter eaten (BTW I love peanut butter, always have a jar or two in the cupboard), but peanuts are pretty common in the UK too. I used to work for the company that made KP nuts, and they would arrive by the artic truck load at the provincial warehouse where I worked. ..... Marathon/ Snickers are pretty popular in the UK too.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 17th 2014 at 2:57 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 2:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Certainly peanuts are more common here in the US, and much more peanut butter eat (BTW I love peanut butter, always have a jar or two in the cupboard), but peanuts are pretty common in the UK too. I used to work for the company that made KP nuts, and they would arrive by the artic truck load at the provincial warehouse where I worked. ..... Marathon/ Snickers are pretty popular in the UK too.
I love peanuts...not keen on PB though...in fact I love all nuts especially roasted cashews and hazelnuts. Thankfully I am not allergic to them.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It's been viewed over 2,000 times, that is not the same thing, about 20 of those times are me, and I'd guess that 8-10 other people have viewed it as often.
I think both of you have an invalid point. I believe that people on the same computer are only normally recorded once for each thread and currently 165 of the 188 people on the USA forum are guests and they seldom log in to respond.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
I think both of you have an invalid point. I believe that people on the same computer are only normally recorded once for each thread and currently 165 of the 188 people on the USA forum are guests and they seldom log in to respond.
If that is the case, and it may be, then the label is misleading, and it should say "Viewed by x people", not "Viewed x times".
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My favourite Peanuts were Marks and Sparks jumbo.

The only source I have found here vaguely comparable is Sams, you get a big jar for not a lot.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Michael
Every time I click on a thread the number of views is increased by one.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Of course peanuts are popular in the UK. Pubs used to have those pictures of ladies which were slowly revealed as people bought the packets of nuts.
Attached Thumbnails Back to school - don't bring peanuts-81-big-d-nuts.jpg  

Last edited by Sally Redux; Aug 17th 2014 at 4:02 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Every time I click on a thread the number of views is increased by one.
Then Pulaski's point is valid and Uncle_Bob's isn't at all due to multiple views by people and likely multiple guests. Therefore they may have only been less than a 100 members that viewed the thread.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
My favourite Peanuts were Marks and Sparks jumbo. ....
Which were (are?) made by KP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.