Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Back to school - don't bring peanuts

Back to school - don't bring peanuts

Old Aug 14th 2014, 8:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to school - don't bring peanuts

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
No doubt they are actually physically easy to use, more of a concern is the decision of whether to administer the shot and if so when, I understand time is of the essence with these things, they have a time limit and are not a cure.

No doubt the teachers/schools will be wide open to parents looking to sue them if they consider their medical care to be unsatisfactory or anything bad happens. ....
Curiously there seems to be very little downside to an epi-pen being used when not necessary. The rule is "if in doubt, use the epi-pen". Certainly the risk/reward curve for use of an epi-pen on an at-risk individual is extremely asymmetric.
... What about on the school bus? peanut snacks banned too? does the driver carry an epi-pen? .....
Dunno - probably banned, or they should be. I know little about school buses, and Little Miss P does not ride the school bus.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 14th 2014 at 8:55 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

My kids used to ride the bus, and there was a total ban on eating anything on it, including sucking sweets or chewing gum, just to keep the cleaning down.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:34 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

From the reports around here, the buses seem to be total zoos, and there appears to be a lot of munching, sucking and chomping down on the JH and HS buses....no food required, different shades of lipstick preferred...

Mine haven't ridden the bus yet, as both elementary and JH are within easy cycling distance, but when they get to HS it'll likely be the bus. Not looking forward to that....
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Why is it a problem now? Nothing I remember from my childhood.

I have come across people with issues for all sorts of foods, as far as I am aware they have to be ingested.
In the average year, there ere are more people dying of peanut allergies than airplane crashes. With that analogy, we shouldn't spend so much money on airline safety.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
From the reports around here, the buses seem to be total zoos, and there appears to be a lot of munching, sucking and chomping down on the JH and HS buses....no food required, different shades of lipstick preferred...

Mine haven't ridden the bus yet, as both elementary and JH are within easy cycling distance, but when they get to HS it'll likely be the bus car. Not looking forward to that....
FIFY
Old Aug 15th 2014, 3:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
In the average year, there ere are more people dying of peanut allergies than airplane crashes. With that analogy, we shouldn't spend so much money on airline safety.
A search suggests the numbers of deaths a year are also less than those by lightening.

And about the same number of deaths are allocated to other allergies.

I think it is a reasonable assumption that compared to the totality the only thing all these have in common is that they are extremely rare.

I could find nothing on the number of deaths at schools linked to peanut butter sandwiches.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 3:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The kids are also meant to use seat belts on ours, but the buses don't have any.

Depending on the driver, half the time, kids aren't even sitting down when the bus is moving and some of them are half hanging out the windows
Old Aug 15th 2014, 4:26 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

How does it compare to deaths by firearms....,,
Old Aug 15th 2014, 4:28 am

FIFY
My eldest will be entering 11th grade before he can even think about it!
Old Aug 15th 2014, 4:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How does it compare to deaths by firearms. .....
Light blue touch paper and retire!
Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:59 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thalf the time, kids aren't even sitting down when the bus is moving and some of them are half hanging out the windows

Old Aug 15th 2014, 12:01 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Light blue touch paper and retire!
You called?
Old Aug 15th 2014, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Got further clarification on whats going on at my sons school. Note sent by teacher was referring to class room snacks only. I never even knew they had those.
Lunch is still anything goes. My eldest son tells me there is an allocated peanut table in the cafeteria. Makes sense.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:28 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Why are allergies all of sudden a problem now? Because people have gotten lazy. Simple as that. Parents, rather than take responsibility for their own child, would rather kick up a fuss and make everyone else bend over backwards to deal with their problem. I bet these same parents are perfectly happy taking their kids to Disneyland and other places where peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are almost guaranteed to be on a kids menu.

If your kids life is threatened then why send them to a public school and rely on 100s of parents checking to see if their kids snack or lunch has had no peanut contact at the factory etc, its stupid.

If i was unfortunate enough to have child with such high risk allergies I would have to arrange for homeschooling or something.
So you would send your kids to school with a highly contagious bug? It is not your fault or responsibility that other kids might catch it and if they do then it is their parents fault as they should have them kept at home.

By the way just got back Disneyland at the beginning of the month and they are extreme careful about avoiding any cross contamination of foods with nut products.

Last edited by AZ_Alba; Aug 16th 2014 at 1:25 am.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Both my kids (in different grades, state school) came home with an A4 paper notice with bold large letters titled "PEANUT ALLERGY ALERT".

"We have a student in our class that has a peanut allergy" .... "please don't send in peanut items made at factory or be where peanuts are used" blahblahblah. All in a condescending 16 point font, probably printed on the desperately needed paper donations

Its absolute bollocks. How many kids have allergies to plenty of other things? Can i get the school to send out notices saying don't send your kids to school with my list of health related demands?

My kids will be sent in with their favourite peanut butter sarnies for lunch. Tastes good, high in protein lower in carbs and they do not require refrigeration.

But how long before "please" becomes "do" followed by prosecution?
What an incredibly selfish attitude.

My daughter is allergic to peanuts. For the last 20 years she has carried an Epipen with her at all times.

In her case it's in the genes...I have always had a problem with allergies...hay fever from being very young...asthma...allergic reactions to some substances and meds. That seems to have been handed down from my father.

Perhaps if you experienced your beautiful young daughter rolling on the ground because her whole body is swollen, sore and itchy you would be a little more understanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.