Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Beeaage Kakki pants

That's how he speaks!! Maybe is a California thing - (thang!)
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:21 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Beeaage Kakki pants
That sounds Geordie in my head
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Haddaway and shite
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

lol aye man.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

OMG so it does - way eye man hinny!!!!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

EnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud of

I use American words but I am always conscious of doing it deliberately to fit with the person I am talking too, if you know what I mean.....I THINK in English!

The one thing I will do sometimes is say 'tomayto' - thisis because I worked in a cafe making sandwiches and salads all day and I gave in so as not to stop for ten minutes and go through the 'oooh you say tomAAAHTO, we say tomAYTO' thing every time I made a sarnie!

I sometimes say 'wicked' asin something is 'wicked good' etc - a New England thing, I think!

Ruth x
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

For me English football will always be football - we kick the ball and therefore have the right to say it. American Football remains in our home to describe the game here even though I am in the minority as we agreed on logic - the game here rarely touches the ball with the foot so I win on that one. Plus the kids (American) loved the explanation that when you 'Sock 'Er" in London, you're usually slapping a female so the boys kinda liked that one for the pure irreverence of it.

I have adopted candy just for the ease of living with children. I also like freakin' now as opposed to my old 'friggin' but again, the kids prefer my old way, and fortunately haven't yet Googled the origin of the word. They often get me to say words - my common as muck London accent has me saying fifth fird to name the bank and for some reason the way I say orange cracks them up.

I get a little tired of explaining the whole 'British' versus English thing ... how hard is it really to grasp? I am often mistaken for an Aussie because my sarf London accent doesn't sound like the queen. And I reject being called European by someone I suspect is a racist, anti-immigrant idiot who loathes being called Mexican, but I explain it's the same thing. Continents people, they're not that hard to grasp!

I absolutely love the words for dummies/soothers/pacifiers and nappies/diapers and interchange them depending on how harassed I am whilst desperately trying to locate one or the other with a screaming baby.

Hey instead of Hi or Hello is now common place and my kid is called Dude more than his name.

Am due to take a trip home to England and am intrigued to hear what my family think I now say differently.

I confess I still snigger at the whole fanny thing even tho I am 41 and should know better.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:17 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildinvirginia
For me English football will always be football - we kick the ball and therefore have the right to say it. American Football remains in our home to describe the game here even though I am in the minority as we agreed on logic - the game here rarely touches the ball with the foot so I win on that one. Plus the kids (American) loved the explanation that when you 'Sock 'Er" in London, you're usually slapping a female so the boys kinda liked that one for the pure irreverence of it.

I have adopted candy just for the ease of living with children. I also like freakin' now as opposed to my old 'friggin' but again, the kids prefer my old way, and fortunately haven't yet Googled the origin of the word. They often get me to say words - my common as muck London accent has me saying fifth fird to name the bank and for some reason the way I say orange cracks them up.

I get a little tired of explaining the whole 'British' versus English thing ... how hard is it really to grasp? I am often mistaken for an Aussie because my sarf London accent doesn't sound like the queen. And I reject being called European by someone I suspect is a racist, anti-immigrant idiot who loathes being called Mexican, but I explain it's the same thing. Continents people, they're not that hard to grasp!

I absolutely love the words for dummies/soothers/pacifiers and nappies/diapers and interchange them depending on how harassed I am whilst desperately trying to locate one or the other with a screaming baby.

Hey instead of Hi or Hello is now common place and my kid is called Dude more than his name.

Am due to take a trip home to England and am intrigued to hear what my family think I now say differently.

I confess I still snigger at the whole fanny thing even tho I am 41 and should know better.
DH and I giggle when as always in the summer they have a Shagfest on one of the beach towns here.

Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

They often get me to say words - my common as muck London accent has me saying fifth fird to name the bank and for some reason the way I say orange cracks them up.
My wife & I met in Israel, so in neutral territory in terms of English accents. Early in our relationship she told me this knock-knock joke which was hard to figure out;

*knock knock*
who's there?
*banana*
banana who
*knock knock*
who's there?
*banana*
banana who
*knock knock*
who's there?
*orange*
orange who?
*orange you glad I didn't say banana*
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Yup, me too. To me a "fanny pack" still sounds like sanitary supplies...although "bum bag" is hardly any better. The first time I heard a grown woman saying saying she had to "go potty", I nearly lost control of my drink.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

Ha ha ha - yeah, the adult potty thing is weird ... especially as I have a 6 month old lol In the UK I worked in various disability fields and if I'd have suggested an adult 'go potty'. They'd probably, and quite rightly, swore at me! Of course I can't get out of the habit of saying loo; I sometimes get by with bathroom but restroom is just weird. You go in THERE to have a rest? Actually, rethinking that, now that I am the mother of a 6 month old, restroom seems appropriate after all lol

Bum bag is wrong for so many reasons and not just terminology - I beg my dad not to, but for him if he's going on a plane there has to be one toting tickets and passport. Seriously, it's like it's his parachute or something. Worrisome - he is a pilot
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:57 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha - yeah, the adult potty thing is weird ... especially as I have a 6 month old lol In the UK I worked in various disability fields and if I'd have suggested an adult 'go potty'. They'd probably, and quite rightly, swore at me! Of course I can't get out of the habit of saying loo; I sometimes get by with bathroom but restroom is just weird. You go in THERE to have a rest? Actually, rethinking that, now that I am the mother of a 6 month old, restroom seems appropriate after all lol

Bum bag is wrong for so many reasons and not just terminology - I beg my dad not to, but for him if he's going on a plane there has to be one toting tickets and passport. Seriously, it's like it's his parachute or something. Worrisome - he is a pilot
It took me ages to stop saying loo. Then when I went back to England in the summer, I asked a barman 'where's the bathroom, I mean restroom, er toilet' Of course being English he would have understood any of those words
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It took me ages to stop saying loo. Then when I went back to England in the summer, I asked a barman 'where's the bathroom, I mean restroom', er toilet' Of course being English he would have understood any of those words
Whereas I, on the other hand, have got legions of Americans now saying they're heading to the bog for a slash
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ha ha ha - my stepson is the self-proclaimed Bogmonster. Sharing a bathroom with a pre-teen was the hardest thing I had to adapt to when coming the America!!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:01 pm
I have a comma problem

Also, a friend of ours had inadvertently introduced the words 'wanker' and 'knobjockey' to her children

(She knows the meanings, but they don't!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.