Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Well there you go then....there is always an explanation.
First time the geezer says "offside"; second and every othr time he says "offsides". It was not just each instance he was complaining about, it was the bulid up of no-calls.
A nice idea, but not usually the case
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Snarf.

Seriously, if you had to hear it every 5 seconds every game you'd be sick of it as well
That must be like 'New Years'.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one I didn't know about, I was counting up some money and said,"I make it $300." The other person thought I meant I was going to add to the amount to make it up to $300. Quite a subtle one.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That must be like 'New Years'.
Yep. Also why people inexplicably add an 's' onto my name for no good reason.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Here's one I didn't know about, I was counting up some money and said,"I make it $300." The other person thought I meant I was going to add to the amount to make it up to $300. Quite a subtle one.
Was the other person a Spanish speaker - linguistic interference?

In the US do they often use the present simple for future use for example in case of prediction? Reason I ask is because I heard on the radio an American interviewing a British footie pundit about an upcoming match.

"Manchester United and Chelsea, who wins?" The bloke hesitated with his reply at first as he wasn't sure if he was being asked which team usually prevails in these clashes, actually Chelsea have a tremendous record vs Man U. - not that I give a monkey's - btw what do the Yanks say for that?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=General Tojo;9633281] - not that I give a monkey's - btw what do the Yanks say for that?[/QUOTE]

"Who gives a rat's ass?"
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
not that I give a monkey's - btw what do the Yanks say for that?
Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
"Who gives a rat's ass?"
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:23 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
"Who gives a rat's ass?"
Surely they only say that when referring to a non-event, such as american "football"?

Last edited by paranoidandroid; Sep 21st 2011 at 1:49 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:51 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Also why people inexplicably add an 's' onto my name for no good reason.
SultanOfSwingS? Perhaps it looks more balanced, or maybe they just think you're a swinger?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:11 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
SultanOfSwingS? Perhaps it looks more balanced, or maybe they just think you're a swinger?
You do know that's not my real name, right? I mean, my dad was a big Dire Straits fan but that's taking it a bit far
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:13 pm

You do know that's not my real name, right? I mean, my dad was a big Dire Straits fan but that's taking it a bit far
What?! You're not really called that? You realise you've just lost all the respect that I had for you.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:16 pm
I have a comma problem

What?! You're not really called that? You realise you've just lost all the respect that I had for you.
That can't have taken long.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Surely they only say that when referring to a non-event, such as american "football"?
Hmmmm.... No, I don't think so.

I say it mostly in reference to your posts....
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Hmmmm.... No, I don't think so.

I say it mostly in reference to your posts....
Ah, the emoticon queen actually speaks? So I get the honour of some actual words? Usually your reply "vocabulary" just consists of , to most posts.

You're right though, you don't think.. you'd need a brain to do that.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by General Tojo
Was the other person a Spanish speaker - linguistic interference?

In the US do they often use the present simple for future use for example in case of prediction? Reason I ask is because I heard on the radio an American interviewing a British footie pundit about an upcoming match.

"Manchester United and Chelsea, who wins?" The bloke hesitated with his reply at first as he wasn't sure if he was being asked which team usually prevails in these clashes, actually Chelsea have a tremendous record vs Man U. - not that I give a monkey's - btw what do the Yanks say for that?
No, not Spanish. It was the whole expression "I make it" that she didn't understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.