British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   American words/expressions you don't like (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/american-words-expressions-you-dont-like-731665/)

Squirrel Sep 9th 2011 3:45 am

American words/expressions you don't like

OK I hate 'bangs' for fringe, don't know why, I just do.

I couldn't believe it the first time my MIL of all people used the expression 'he was just blowing smoke up my ass.' I mean come on, we Brits have some rude expressions but that's awful, lol!

cluedweasel Sep 9th 2011 6:04 am

Re: American words/expressions you don't like

The use of "value" where we would use something like "bargain" gets my goat. Don't really know why, it just does.

another bloody yank Sep 9th 2011 12:26 pm

There might be one or two in here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725808

Or here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729870

Egg and Cress Sep 9th 2011 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 9609868)

Are you taking aim at anyone/anything in particular - or are you using the "shotgun effect" tactic? :D (she asks as she digs buckshot out of her butt)

SultanOfSwing Sep 9th 2011 2:06 pm

'Bangs' never made sense to me. 'Fringe' at least means border or edge.

Anyway, for me there are quite a few. Words and phrases like 'gotten', 'can't be beat', 'winningest' and the like are pretty vom-worthy. This only really affects me, but hearing other coaches and refs referring to 'offsides' at footy matches makes me want to punch people.

Oh, and the proliferation of substitute swear words like 'heck', 'gosh' and 'dang/darn' piss me off too, as does referring to proper words like 'f**k' and 'cnut' as 'cussing'. Bleugh.

But I'm a bastard like that :p

Egg and Cress Sep 9th 2011 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9610067)
'Bangs' never made sense to me. 'Fringe' at least means border or edge.

Anyway, for me there are quite a few. Words and phrases like 'gotten', 'can't be beat', 'winningest' and the like are pretty vom-worthy. This only really affects me, but hearing other coaches and refs referring to 'offsides' at footy matches makes me want to punch people.

Oh, and the proliferation of substitute swear words like 'heck', 'gosh' and 'dang/darn' piss me off too, as does referring to proper words like 'f**k' and 'cnut' as 'cussing'. Bleugh.

But I'm a bastard like that :p

Are you as "verbal" in front of your children - or your wife? Or do you curtail your spicier language in their presence, for courtesy's sake, if nothing else?

Our mid-Victorian attitudes toward foul language dictate that they be changed to "gosh-darn it" instead of the actual calling of God's curse upon someone/something; many women would like to feel free enough to use the F word but change it to "frigging" or it's like, in order to maintain a more ladylike facade. (although since everyone knows what "frigging" means, I don't see that it makes much difference ;))

I know my explanations of our words won't change your dislike of them, but I hope it'll soften your outrage at their use. Don't forget, you Brits have brought some real doozies to our ears - some are funny, some are brain-rattling and others are downright disgusting - but we love you anyway! :lol::heart:

SultanOfSwing Sep 9th 2011 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress (Post 9610131)
Are you as "verbal" in front of your children - or your wife? Or do you curtail your spicier language in their presence, for courtesy's sake, if nothing else?

Our mid-Victorian attitudes toward foul language dictate that they be changed to "gosh-darn it" instead of the actual calling of God's curse upon someone/something; many women would like to feel free enough to use the F word but change it to "frigging" or it's like, in order to maintain a more ladylike facade. (although since everyone knows what "frigging" means, I don't see that it makes much difference ;))

I know my explanations of our words won't change your dislike of them, but I hope it'll soften your outrage at their use. Don't forget, you Brits have brought some real doozies to our ears - some are funny, some are brain-rattling and others are downright disgusting - but we love you anyway! :lol::heart:

I have words like 'bloody' at my disposal if needs disctate that I keep it clean, or I can just not use any expletive. In all reality if you are replacing one word with the other, you're still thinking the so called 'bad' word, aren't you?

nethead Sep 9th 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9610157)
I have words like 'bloody' at my disposal if needs disctate that I keep it clean, or I can just not use any expletive. In all reality if you are replacing one word with the other, you're still thinking the so called 'bad' word, aren't you?

I agree with you, I think if you're going to say freakin' you may as well say ****ing, because it's the same thing.

SultanOfSwing Sep 9th 2011 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by nethead (Post 9610244)
I agree with you, I think if you're going to say freakin' you may as well say ****ing, because it's the same thing.

That's a good example actually! Similar to 'frigging', which Egg n Cress brought up earlier :lol:

nethead Sep 9th 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9610257)
That's a good example actually! Similar to 'frigging', which Egg n Cress brought up earlier :lol:

Yes I have this argument with my 16year old daughter that her saying freakin' is swearing and she doesn't agree :frown:

1chumly Sep 9th 2011 3:34 pm

'Could care less' is the one that drives me up the wall.

Oh, and saying WimbleTON instead of Wimbledon, that always has me screaming at the TV!

SultanOfSwing Sep 9th 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by nethead (Post 9610261)
Yes I have this argument with my 16year old daughter that her saying freakin' is swearing and she doesn't agree :frown:

Does she think it means 'come on everybody, let's all dress up like sideshow acts' :lol:

Originally Posted by 1chumly (Post 9610265)
'Could care less' is the one that drives me up the wall.

Yes, we had a thread dedicated to that one a while back . . .

nethead Sep 9th 2011 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9610268)
Does she think it means 'come on everybody, let's all dress up like sideshow acts' :lol:

Hmmm I'm sure she doesn't :p

She sounds like a cross between a valley girl and a 'gangsta' :rolleyes:

SultanOfSwing Sep 9th 2011 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by nethead (Post 9610276)
Hmmm I'm sure she doesn't :p

She sounds like a cross between a valley girl and a 'gangsta' :rolleyes:

Ooo, not a good combination. I'm starting to wish mine will stay 18 months old forever now she's starting to talk more and more :(

robin1234 Sep 9th 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9610277)
Ooo, not a good combination. I'm starting to wish mine will stay 18 months old forever now she's starting to talk more and more :(

Wait till she gets a mortgage and she'll be fine.