Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:45 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American words/expressions you don't like

OK I hate 'bangs' for fringe, don't know why, I just do.

I couldn't believe it the first time my MIL of all people used the expression 'he was just blowing smoke up my ass.' I mean come on, we Brits have some rude expressions but that's awful, lol!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

The use of "value" where we would use something like "bargain" gets my goat. Don't really know why, it just does.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:26 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

There might be one or two in here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725808

Or here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729870
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Are you taking aim at anyone/anything in particular - or are you using the "shotgun effect" tactic? (she asks as she digs buckshot out of her butt)
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

'Bangs' never made sense to me. 'Fringe' at least means border or edge.

Anyway, for me there are quite a few. Words and phrases like 'gotten', 'can't be beat', 'winningest' and the like are pretty vom-worthy. This only really affects me, but hearing other coaches and refs referring to 'offsides' at footy matches makes me want to punch people.

Oh, and the proliferation of substitute swear words like 'heck', 'gosh' and 'dang/darn' piss me off too, as does referring to proper words like 'f**k' and 'cnut' as 'cussing'. Bleugh.

But I'm a bastard like that
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
'Bangs' never made sense to me. 'Fringe' at least means border or edge.

Anyway, for me there are quite a few. Words and phrases like 'gotten', 'can't be beat', 'winningest' and the like are pretty vom-worthy. This only really affects me, but hearing other coaches and refs referring to 'offsides' at footy matches makes me want to punch people.

Oh, and the proliferation of substitute swear words like 'heck', 'gosh' and 'dang/darn' piss me off too, as does referring to proper words like 'f**k' and 'cnut' as 'cussing'. Bleugh.

But I'm a bastard like that
Are you as "verbal" in front of your children - or your wife? Or do you curtail your spicier language in their presence, for courtesy's sake, if nothing else?

Our mid-Victorian attitudes toward foul language dictate that they be changed to "gosh-darn it" instead of the actual calling of God's curse upon someone/something; many women would like to feel free enough to use the F word but change it to "frigging" or it's like, in order to maintain a more ladylike facade. (although since everyone knows what "frigging" means, I don't see that it makes much difference )

I know my explanations of our words won't change your dislike of them, but I hope it'll soften your outrage at their use. Don't forget, you Brits have brought some real doozies to our ears - some are funny, some are brain-rattling and others are downright disgusting - but we love you anyway!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Are you as "verbal" in front of your children - or your wife? Or do you curtail your spicier language in their presence, for courtesy's sake, if nothing else?

Our mid-Victorian attitudes toward foul language dictate that they be changed to "gosh-darn it" instead of the actual calling of God's curse upon someone/something; many women would like to feel free enough to use the F word but change it to "frigging" or it's like, in order to maintain a more ladylike facade. (although since everyone knows what "frigging" means, I don't see that it makes much difference )

I know my explanations of our words won't change your dislike of them, but I hope it'll soften your outrage at their use. Don't forget, you Brits have brought some real doozies to our ears - some are funny, some are brain-rattling and others are downright disgusting - but we love you anyway!
I have words like 'bloody' at my disposal if needs disctate that I keep it clean, or I can just not use any expletive. In all reality if you are replacing one word with the other, you're still thinking the so called 'bad' word, aren't you?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I have words like 'bloody' at my disposal if needs disctate that I keep it clean, or I can just not use any expletive. In all reality if you are replacing one word with the other, you're still thinking the so called 'bad' word, aren't you?
I agree with you, I think if you're going to say freakin' you may as well say ****ing, because it's the same thing.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:31 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by nethead
I agree with you, I think if you're going to say freakin' you may as well say ****ing, because it's the same thing.
That's a good example actually! Similar to 'frigging', which Egg n Cress brought up earlier
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good example actually! Similar to 'frigging', which Egg n Cress brought up earlier
Yes I have this argument with my 16year old daughter that her saying freakin' is swearing and she doesn't agree
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

'Could care less' is the one that drives me up the wall.

Oh, and saying WimbleTON instead of Wimbledon, that always has me screaming at the TV!

Last edited by 1chumly; Sep 9th 2011 at 3:38 pm. Reason: addition
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:35 pm
I have a comma problem

Yes I have this argument with my 16year old daughter that her saying freakin' is swearing and she doesn't agree
Does she think it means 'come on everybody, let's all dress up like sideshow acts'

Originally Posted by 1chumly
'Could care less' is the one that drives me up the wall.
Yes, we had a thread dedicated to that one a while back . . .
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does she think it means 'come on everybody, let's all dress up like sideshow acts'
Hmmm I'm sure she doesn't

She sounds like a cross between a valley girl and a 'gangsta'
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:43 pm
I have a comma problem

Hmmm I'm sure she doesn't

She sounds like a cross between a valley girl and a 'gangsta'
Ooo, not a good combination. I'm starting to wish mine will stay 18 months old forever now she's starting to talk more and more
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooo, not a good combination. I'm starting to wish mine will stay 18 months old forever now she's starting to talk more and more
Wait till she gets a mortgage and she'll be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.