Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That rather loses its effect when typed out, doesn't it?

I was trying to spell it like they sing it, but yeah it looks weird

Originally Posted by Mallory
SM forgot to take her SJW too!

Drugs are evil. No worty stuff for me thanks. I like to sound crazy, I'm proud of it
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I was trying to spell it like they sing it, but yeah it looks weird
It's not your fault, since the word 'tomato' is spelt the same no matter if you pronounce it the American way, or the correct way
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We furriners have to eat the stuff by the bushel just to stay on an even keel.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Since I'm a citizen, and therefore not really a guest anymore - can I be as rude and abrasive as I want?

Aw, hell, why not!? Go ahead, "fill 'yer boots" (as my OH says)!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:31 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

This is the problem.

A few Brits want to let off steam sometimes, and then have to enter into a prolonged justification of every ****ing word they say.
To those who feel they need to "justify" their speech patterns and/or quotes, get over it! If we all spoke the same, sounded and acted the same, this would be a very, very boring planet. Just my opinion......have a nice day!
Or should that be, have a good day? (for the Californians - missing you already!)
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious.

Have a nice day all of you.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:48 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious.

Have a nice day all of you.
I can remember working my first job in Québec, before I went back to England for what I thought was going to be for good. If the client were English we were meant to say ‘Have a nice day’ or anywhere after 4.00 PM ‘Have a nice evening’ and if the client were French then « Bonne journée » and « Bonne soirée » respectively. It washed over me, I did as I was told ... I didn't think of where it came from, just that we were meant to speak that way whether on the telephone or in person.

I think today I'd say the English without second thoughts regardless of whether speaking here or back home. (Though, where I came from in the UK, the older working class often still said ‘Good day!’ more on meeting but sometimes when parting as well, and perhaps, subconsciously, I saw this in the same light). Yes, I did learn to say the N. American in a commercial setting, and I hadn't considered that before, but I confess, I've said it myself for years now without even realising.

The same goes for ‘You're welcome’ after ‘Thank you’. That was not standard when and where I grew up. We said ‘(My) Pleasure’ or more formally ‘Not at all’, however, ‘You're welcome’ is so expected here as too seem rude if it's not an automatic reply to a ‘Thank you’.

One word that can occasionally turn my stomach —even now— is the ubiquitous use of the word ‘sick’ in virtually all instances of being ‘ill’, without any sense of the noun with the connotation of vomit or as a verb to vomit.

And I used to dislike the use of the word ‘quite’ in some cases on this side of the Atlantic. However, I've found its sarcastic or ironic use doesn't exist in N. America, so that it simply means ‘very’ and the speaker is sincere. In early days here, in the wrong context, it could appear very rude, but I now know that this is never the intention.

Last edited by Christian; Sep 20th 2011 at 6:16 am.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:59 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

It would be even more dead on here if we were just patting eachother on the back about having made such a smart move.
I can't imagine anyone wanting to say that.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
I can't imagine anyone wanting to say that.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:19 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

"Have at it". Does that really make any sense? I hate that. Oh and, "Git r done".. another bloody ridiculous phrase that I hear down here on a regular basis.
Sorry if I've duplicated someone else's dislikes, but I haven't read the whole thread.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:27 pm

No, I could see exactly what you meant.

This is the problem.

A few Brits want to let off steam sometimes, and then have to enter into a prolonged justification of every ****ing word they say.
Agreed we shouldn't have to justify why we dislike particular things, we're just letting off steam on a website designed for Brits.
Personally I think that the people that don't like the "steam letting" or the thought of a thread titled as it is, should just not read the thread it if it bothers them.. and that isn't directed at anyone in particular, just an observation.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:36 pm

I wouldn't, as I don't give a foxtrot what Americans in the UK think.
Neither would you be stupid enough to go onto a yanks in Britain forum to try and defend why they shouldn't dislike something of ours, if they had a similar thread.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

"Have at it". Does that really make any sense? I hate that. Oh and, "Git r done".. another bloody ridiculous phrase that I hear down here on a regular basis.
Sorry if I've duplicated someone else's dislikes, but I haven't read the whole thread.
Have at it (and similar) is an ancient phrase I believe. I can think of several instances in Shakespeare, for instance, where he uses "Have at you."
Example; in Troilus & Cressida, Troilus says "Come, both you cogging Greeks; have at you both." No doubt if there'd been a USA in the bard's time, he'd have said "you cogging Yanks."

I actually frequently wear a T-shirt that says "Git R Done" on the front.. a remnant from my daughter's grad school palaeontology club I think.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Neither would you be stupid enough to go onto a yanks in Britain forum to try and defend why they shouldn't dislike something of ours, if they had a similar thread.
As I said, it simply wouldn't interest me, they can think what they like and it will be part of their process of settling in. However, it seems that some on here see anyone not "lovin' it" as mentally ill.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Actually they DO have similar threads on UK-Yankees, & I have to admit that I do contribute to them.. but with a descriptive, rather than prescriptive intent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.