Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Originally Posted by nethead
What is 'supper'? I guess it's what posh people call dinner... I still sometimes call dinner 'me tea' but I'm just a working class girl.

I don't mind 'nana' better than 'granny' I think.
im from the North (UK) and we have dinner (lunch) and tea (evening meal).

I say to my US husband - what shall we have for tea and he gets very confused!!!
Tea for him is either an iced drink (vile) or a hot drink without milk (vile)
Im having to train him!!! He uses the word Rubbish for trash now and loves boot and bonnet!!!
Supper is the last meal of the day and is just hot choc and a biccy...
Oh we have such fun!!! (said with a heavy dose of irony obviously!! )
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
im from the North (UK) and we have dinner (lunch) and tea (evening meal).

I say to my US husband - what shall we have for tea and he gets very confused!!!
Tea for him is either an iced drink (vile) or a hot drink without milk (vile)
Im having to train him!!! He uses the word Rubbish for trash now and loves boot and bonnet!!!
Supper is the last meal of the day and is just hot choc and a biccy...
Oh we have such fun!!! (said with a heavy dose of irony obviously!! )
Glad to hear you're getting him trained up.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Glad to hear you're getting him trained up.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
It is a bit different from ain't .. ain't is just an old contraction of has not, or have not.

"A whole nother" is an example of a tmesis, the insertion of a word between the components of a compound word. Obviously "a whole nother" is somewhat redundant, but it is more emphatic than plain "another."

Tmesis was used in classical latin as a fairly common literary device. In English, another example would be "abso-f**king-lutely."

(Just to add.. what makes "a whole nother" amusing is that the break between the syllables is clearly made in the wrong place, should be "an whole other" which doesn't roll off the tongue as well.)
I love your demonstration word, teach. Does "Jesus-H-Christ" qualify as tmesis?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
I think the lunch-dinner thing is a north-south thing.

I was brought up in Yorkshire in the 70s & 80s and we always had breakfast-dinner-tea-supper in that order. Supper usually consisted of some toast and a cup of tea or some biscuits and a cup of tea or some Soreen and a cup of tea at about 8pm, right after Name That Tune or The Krypton Factor.

When I first left home at the tender age of 18 and started mixing with Southerners for the first time, it became apparent that they all had their dinners at teatime and tea was not a meal, but a drink.

Now, sadly, I have become accustomed to using breakfast-lunch-dinner-snack.
I'm a southerner and we said breakfast-dinner-tea, however realized that the 'posh' way is breakfast-lunch-dinner-supper.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm a southerner and we said breakfast-dinner-tea, however realized that the 'posh' way is breakfast-lunch-dinner-supper.
I'm not posh and it's always been breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Tea was around 3 and was a cup of tea and biscuits or a small sarnie.

Supper was something you saw said on tele
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm not posh and it's always been breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Tea was around 3 and was a cup of tea and biscuits or a small sarnie.

Supper was something you saw said on tele
'Supper' was something my boyfriend's parents ate - with cloth napkins
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Supper is soup.

Sorry, I know it must have been discussed on here before but what do the Septics call the dinner ladies who served up our delightful school lunches?
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by General Tojo

Sorry, I know it must have been discussed on here before but what do the Septics call the dinner ladies who served up our delightful school lunches?
They have people from the local fast-food franchises come in.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Supper is soup.

Where MIL teaches, it's the teachers who serve...they have a cook that cooks half the food and reheats the other half that's brought in
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Sancho_p will become famous soon enough

I hate it when my American relatives ask me "which rowt did you travel?"

The ROUTE ( pronounced root) I came was...................
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Supper is soup.

Last I knew we called them Lunch Ladies on the West coast.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:21 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sancho_p

Pity they weren't from New England.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sancho_p

Actually it is acceptable to be pronounced both way's, depends what part of the Country you are from.

For me [r\ut] is only used when referring to a specific road (like Route 66) while [r\aUt] is for a course of travel, i.e., paper route, or "I tried a new route today to get to the cabin."
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
'Supper' was something my boyfriend's parents ate - with cloth napkins
Supper was something you'd rustle up in the kitchen before bedtime like an omlette or toast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.