2020 Election

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It seems you were asleep when both the House and the Senate voted against Trump's emergency declaration regarding a border wall.

Until Trump shows himself to be an honest negotiator on this, I can't see a point of Congress getting involved. And neither party is doing.
Well we may disagree on the reasons why, we have the abolish ICE brigade, we have at least a position paper now which is not abolishing it but making it meaningless, not sure quite what the difference is now.

How can you have negotiations between two very divergent views?

Sort of reminds me of the current BREXIT debacle.

So my assumption is nothing will be done, the situation will continue, well numbers are likely to increase.

Also reminds me of the US Healthcare situation, you know it will get to a point at some time where it goes bang but not when or how that bang will occur.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

It seems you were asleep when both the House and the Senate voted against Trump's emergency declaration regarding a border wall..

Yes but that's only a specific.
Where's the long term plan to deal with the illegal alien problem?
Neither side wants that solved, either by prevention or internal deportation.

My portfolio certainly benefits from the slave labor, thank you $$$, but ethically I denounce it from my perspective of being an actual immigrant.
(Immigrant being someone who has been granted the right, by the government, to be here.)
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot

My portfolio certainly benefits from the slave labor, thank you $$$, but ethically I denounce it from my perspective of being an actual immigrant.
(Immigrant being someone who has been granted the right, by the government, to be here.)
Nothing has happened since... 2007:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compre...rm_Act_of_2007

Obama tried and then gave up and went the Executive Order route on DACA etc. Hard to see anything happening whilst Trump is President given the lack of trust that he will negotiate honestly.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 3rd 2019 at 4:36 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Castro's plan is for the government to grant them the right to be here See link above.

So there effectively will be no illegal problem.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I know some people from the Gorbals who would like to come here.
Anti social neighbors. They fear for their lives.

Or they could move to Milngavie I suppose.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

I know some people from the Gorbals who would like to come here.
Anti social neighbors. They fear for their lives.

Or they could move to Milngavie I suppose.
Well where would be their choice, the important thing is that they are fleeing from violence.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nothing has happened since... 2007:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compre...rm_Act_of_2007

Personally, and my wife disagrees with me, I don't think you need reform.
If you fulfill the requirements you can emigrate to the US.
If you don't you can't.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well where would be their choice, the important thing is that they are fleeing from violence.
Where would they get the most benefits?
May factor into it. I don't know...everyone wants a 'better life' I suppose...
I've not heard from anyone seeking a 'worse life'.
Even my wealthy pals.

Personally I quite fancy this for a better life..seems like this country is a rich country.
https://www.eater.com/maps/best-mexi...restaurants-38
and this
https://www.tripsavvy.com/fine-dinin...o-city-1588917

'Mexico has the 11th to 13th richest economy in the world '

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 3rd 2019 at 5:23 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't you can't
The problem is, the current 'requirements' are not set up to accommodate the category of worker that makes up the bulk of the illegal immigrants. You, presumably, came here by virtue of marriage; I came here (at considerable expense) by virtue of a skilled job. But there isn't a meaningful way for a fruit-picker or meat-packer to get a visa. There isn't a well-defined, logical path to follow that would work for them so how can it be 'ethically' an issue? I flew in on a plane, had my expenses paid, and did very well out of the deal; a Mexican who climbs over a fence, or risks his/her life in the back of a truck to get here deserves - in my opinion - applause for taking the initiative to improve their lives. As Jeb Bush said, it's not a felony but an act of love ... . The system is currently dysfunctional, we can all agree on that. But what to do in the meantime?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The problem is, the current 'requirements' are not set up to accommodate the category of worker that makes up the bulk of the illegal immigrants. You, presumably, came here by virtue of marriage; I came here (at considerable expense) by virtue of a skilled job. But there isn't a meaningful way for a fruit-picker or meat-packer to get a visa. There isn't a well-defined, logical path to follow that would work for them so how can it be 'ethically' an issue? I flew in on a plane, had my expenses paid, and did very well out of the deal; a Mexican who climbs over a fence, or risks his/her life in the back of a truck to get here deserves - in my opinion - applause for taking the initiative to improve their lives. As Jeb Bush said, it's not a felony but an act of love ... . The system is currently dysfunctional, we can all agree on that. But what to do in the meantime?
H2a for Fruit Pickers

H2b for meat packers but that may not be seasonal/temporary.

But begs the question why people would want to do those sorts of jobs, hardly the American Dream?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't you can't.
Reform includes dealing with the situation on the ground. What are you going to do with the millions of undocumented who are already here, especially those that came as minors? Realistically, deporting them all isn't going to happen.

It also includes dealing with employers that employ undocumented immigrants, with more than kid gloves.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 3rd 2019 at 5:37 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The system is currently dysfunctional, we can all agree on that.
Nope. Not in the slightest.

There are plenty temporary visa that employers don't want to use because it cuts into their profits.
Simple as that.

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
But begs the question why people would want to do those sorts of jobs, hardly the American Dream?
It's presumably a "dream" in comparison to the unstable situation in the three Mexican Northern Triangle countries.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reform includes dealing with the situation on the ground. What are you going to do with the millions of undocumented who are already here, especially those that came as minors? Realistically, deporting them all isn't going to happen.

Not my problem. I vote for people to address that problem. I personally don't care in the slightest.
If they slave for me it leads to $$$. 10% increase every year. (Although what if that productivity was applied to their own country of citizenship..hmmm'

Love 'em.

Legally wrong of course..

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 3rd 2019 at 5:38 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

Well let's assume you make them Americans, will they want to do the jobs Americans do not want to do? Will they want to work plucking fruit whatever (I will ignore that very few do now)

So what happens then?

Reminds me of the we need young people because we are getting old arguments, well young people get old as well.

So you end up in the same situation so what do you do then, rinse and repeat?

Then you have to consider all those people who would like to move to the US and do not have an option, well if it is just get here and we will give you amnesty what happens then?

Now I also can see the other side, there is a big shortage where I am of reliable people to work minimum wage jobs, but then the price of accommodation etc is a factor and bringing in more people seems unlikely to help that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.