2020 Election

Old May 10th 2020, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by zzrmark
What makes you so certain? The people who put them there don't appear to have changed their minds, nor are they likely to. They have been indoctrinated into believing that Fox is the only reliable source of information and whilst it is nice to think of them all as rabidly stupid the reality is that many are just normal folks who cannot see the other side of the coin because they are constantly told to not believe any other news source. I think the only way we could come close to understanding is if we turned off our BE notifications and limited our only 'news' viewing to Fox for a week, and then try to imagine what your world would look like if that was your only exposure to information for the last four years, minimum.
Sadly, I think you are hitting the nail on the head. In AZ, which is now optimistically considered a 'swing state', I see support for Trump is alive and well.
Old May 10th 2020, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
'No end of photos' ... showing Biden being what would be considered in France (for example) as perfectly normal. I'm decidedly 'British' when it comes to being touchy-feely, but I acknowledge there are different cultural norms in this regard and I don't think Biden is out of line.
Growing up in Britain during the '40s ans 50'. No one hugged and kissed on the cheek, or often shaked hands. Too French and Continental?

Last edited by johnwoo; May 10th 2020 at 6:01 pm.
Old May 10th 2020, 8:50 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Growing up in Britain during the '40s ans 50'. No one hugged and kissed on the cheek, or often shaked hands. Too French and Continental?
Absolutely this in later decades for me...but a lot of class culture involved. I had no idea what to do with cheek kissing when I moved in to those circles, no one taught or told me, and I was too embarrassed in my early twenties to ask.
Old May 10th 2020, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Absolutely this in later decades for me...but a lot of class culture involved. I had no idea what to do with cheek kissing when I moved in to those circles, no one taught or told me, and I was too embarrassed in my early twenties to ask.
I have yet to ever encounter a single incident of such ... not even close! Not at all common in UK or US, as far as I can tell.
Old May 10th 2020, 10:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

A lot can happen in the next few months to influence the election. If COVID19 hadn’t happened, IMO Biden would stand no chance against Trump. In a debate Trump would chew him up and spit him out. Shame of the Dems for not coming up with anyone better than Biden.

I said this 4 years ago and will say it again...shame on America. A country of over 360,000,000 people and these two are the best we can come up with.
Old May 11th 2020, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you so certain? The people who put them there don't appear to have changed their minds, nor are they likely to. They have been indoctrinated into believing that Fox is the only reliable source of information and whilst it is nice to think of them all as rabidly stupid the reality is that many are just normal folks who cannot see the other side of the coin because they are constantly told to not believe any other news source. I think the only way we could come close to understanding is if we turned off our BE notifications and limited our only 'news' viewing to Fox for a week, and then try to imagine what your world would look like if that was your only exposure to information for the last four years, minimum.
But American elections are won and lost on the margins, right? It generally comes down to that middle 5% of people who don't even watch cable news, and make up their minds in the last month before the election based on a general 'gut' response.
Old May 11th 2020, 2:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A lot can happen in the next few months to influence the election. If COVID19 hadn’t happened, IMO Biden would stand no chance against Trump. In a debate Trump would chew him up and spit him out. Shame of the Dems for not coming up with anyone better than Biden.

I said this 4 years ago and will say it again...shame on America. A country of over 360,000,000 people and these two are the best we can come up with.
Agree

Mind you who would want to put them through the US process. Masochists only need apply.
Old May 11th 2020, 2:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Cheek kissing has absolutely started in the UK. Well and truly entrenched I think although someone dependent on the culture, as you say. It took me by surprise at first, but hey, I've kissed lots of French people so it isn't that bad to extend it to the UK.
Old May 11th 2020, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Cheek kissing has absolutely started in the UK. Well and truly entrenched I think although someone dependent on the culture, as you say. It took me by surprise at first, but hey, I've kissed lots of French people so it isn't that bad to extend it to the UK.
unless it is a close friend or relative I do not do kissing or hugging. *shudder*
Old May 11th 2020, 2:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
unless it is a close friend or relative I do not do kissing or hugging. *shudder*
I would rather do the air kiss than a hug, because a hug involves way too much bodily contact
Old May 11th 2020, 2:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I would rather do the air kiss than a hug, because a hug involves way too much bodily contact
no air kissing either. I do not want to get that close.
Old May 11th 2020, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have yet to ever encounter a single incident of such ... not even close! Not at all common in UK or US, as far as I can tell.
My Italian friends here in SF always do the cheek kissing thing. But I don't have any other friends or family that do,
Old May 13th 2020, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
But American elections are won and lost on the margins, right? It generally comes down to that middle 5% of people who don't even watch cable news, and make up their minds in the last month before the election based on a general 'gut' response.
Is it only 5% that don't watch cable news? As fifty-somethings my wife and I are probably in the minority of our age group that don't have cable but twenty-something kids (certainly the ones round here), who make up a significant voting block, tend to limit their viewing to devices that stream, neither of my stepkids seem particularly keen on sitting through news programs, either cable or terrestrial.

Does your above statement not contradict your earlier ascertainment that Trump and GOP would be paying dearly at the next election? I should imagine that if it were as clear cut as 'Trump's out' then this thread would not have made it much past it's first page and I, for one, could let my hair down and spend the next six months in a drunken stupor ignoring the current administration's ****wittery.

Old May 13th 2020, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Is it only 5% that don't watch cable news? As fifty-somethings my wife and I are probably in the minority of our age group that don't have cable but twenty-something kids (certainly the ones round here), who make up a significant voting block, tend to limit their viewing to devices that stream, neither of my stepkids seem particularly keen on sitting through news programs, either cable or terrestrial.

Does your above statement not contradict your earlier ascertainment that Trump and GOP would be paying dearly at the next election? I should imagine that if it were as clear cut as 'Trump's out' then this thread would not have made it much past it's first page and I, for one, could let my hair down and spend the next six months in a drunken stupor ignoring the current administration's ****wittery.
That was another poster. Anyway, it does seem to me that Trump's 'floor' of support is higher than many past candidates, as many people have developed a personal loyalty to him, and it doesn't matter what he says or does at this point. A loyalty that they didn't feel for George W Bush, John McCain, John Kerry etc. But there's still that nebulous 5% who are 'low information voters' and wait until near the end to decide. Of course the pandemic throws a fascinating spanner in the works... elderly voters skewed towards Trump in 2016, but maybe a significant number are particularly sensitive to his failures combating the virus?
Old May 13th 2020, 2:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at CNN viewership, tiny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.