2020 Election

Old Apr 16th 2020, 12:10 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
What rot. Do you have access to Biden’s personal medical records... of course you don’t.
And 150 MILLION Americans died in gun violence in the last 5 years didn't they? That is what Biden said then he corrected himself to the figure of 150k
Old Apr 16th 2020, 12:14 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
The sad thing is that if you transplanted the current electorate for an educated one, Kermit the frog could beat Trump any day of the week
But the thing with Trump no matter what he says it never blows up in his face for some reason. He has his followers and he really believes in what he is trying to do he has tapped into something in America. Trump/Obama would have been a hell of a campaign.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 12:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall seeing people actively campaigning for the VP slot the way they are right now.

Warren said she would accept.
Abrams said she would serve with honor.
Whitmer said she was fortunate to be on the list

I wonder if this has anything to do with Bidens age? Are these people positioning themselves to be the natural successor in 4 years assuming Biden is too old to run again? Is being VP to the current President really an advantage in running for POTUS?

History suggests not, at least not for the last 30 years.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 1:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by civilservant
I don't recall seeing people actively campaigning for the VP slot the way they are right now.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Bidens age? Are these people positioning themselves to be the natural successor in 4 years assuming Biden is too old to run again? Is being VP to the current President really an advantage in running for POTUS?

IF Biden has Dementia how bad will he be in 4 and half years time? He is one term president and unless they push Cuomo in at the convention. Biden is the only the game in town and yeah he may be able to beat Trump over his handling of the coronavirus providing he doesn't call it the michelobvirus. He may not even be fit to serve a full term and if he is not his VP is President at the point that is decided? So of course the ones who lost the primaries will be pushing to be VP. It is a ticket to the Oval office. For some of them their only shot.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So of course the ones who lost the primaries will be pushing to be VP.
Of the 3 names I mentioned, only 1 ran for President.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is unseemly to campaign for it publicly but there is always a lot of back door wheeling-dealing for the VP spot. It's already been done and I suspect Biden already has a short-list and knows who he wants. There is a bunch of wrangling and negotiations that go on.

However, you are incorrect when you say there is no advantage in being the VP if taking aim for the Presidency. There is an tremendous, tremendous inherent advantage because you inherit the incumbent's "machine" and organisation, and name-brand recognition when they are term limited out. It's usually good to at least get you the nomination. The age of the nominee is irrelevant, you are just one office away and anything can happen.

Eisenhower/Nixon - Nixon nominated 1960
Kennedy/Johnson - Johnson becomes President 1963
Johnson/Humphrey - Humphrey nominated 1968
Nixon/Ford - Ford becomes President 1974
Ford/Rockerfeller - Rockerfeller dumped from ticket 1976
Carter/Mondale - Mondale nominated 1984
Reagan/Bush - Bush nominated 1988
Bush/Quayle - Quayle leaves politics 1993
Clinton/Gore - Gore nominated 2000
Bush/Cheney - Cheney retires 2009
Obama/Biden - Biden nominated 2020
Trump/Pence - TBD

So in the last 11 presidencies, the Vice President was either nominated or became President 8 times. Those are very, very good odds.

Of the 3 who didn't - one died shortly after (Rockerfeller), one retired (Cheney), one ran later and wasn't competitive (Quayle in 2000). Note that two of the three came under the Bush family, because the Bush political model was to choose as a top lieutenant someone with a limited political base so they could not become a political rival to them. Jeb Bush did the same thing as Governor of Florida.

If Biden wins I don't expect him to retire after one term unless he is trailing badly in the polls circa 2023. If he will run at age 78, why wouldn't he run again at 82 especially if he's already got the job? If he comes out with a "one term pledge" that will seriously hurt him. He would basically be admitting to the electorate that he thinks his age will be a problem, and he'll start to be undercut by whomever the VP is, intentionally or not, almost immediately after inauguration as power brokers start hedging and placing their bets. He'll be the weakest president ever if he does that.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 16th 2020 at 2:24 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 2:21 pm
Often not so civil...

I did say for the last 30 years (although strictly speaking it is 29 years). In that time, only one VP has received the nomination while sitting, and he lost to Bush,

If he comes out with a "one term pledge" that will seriously hurt him. He would basically be admitting to the electorate that he thinks his age will be a problem.
i don't believe he'll make a pledge, but I do doubt if he will run for reelection. That pledge is pointless as a squanders political capital, he will have little to lose if he announces that he won't seek reelection prior to the 2024 primary season kicking off in ernest.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 16th 2020 at 2:25 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
And 150 MILLION Americans died in gun violence in the last 5 years didn't they? That is what Biden said then he corrected himself to the figure of 150k
Why is slip of the tongue considered important when daily outright lying by his opposition is ignored?
Old Apr 16th 2020, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I'm talking to a lot of young people who are excited about free state college and community college tuition. Those are HUGE selling points for people of all ages that want to improve their lot in life. 6 months to go!
Selling points they may be but I have a feeling that the next administration will have little time for it's selling points as it'll be too busy with the mop, bucket and begging bowl cleaning up after the current cluster*uck.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Why is slip of the tongue considered important when daily outright lying by his opposition is ignored?
Conveniently not mentioning all the times Trump has misspoken or out right made up stuff when he didn't know.
Tim Apple, Apple CEO anyone? One of countless others.

Old Apr 16th 2020, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Because it allows the normal culprits to pull the "both sides do it" nonsense.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Warren would be problematic as MA apparently allows its governor - who is currently a Republican - to appoint a senate replacement. That seat could be critical to the Democratic party. My feeling is that either Klobuchar or Stacy Abrams is more likely.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Meanwhile in California they are giving COVID money to illegals, that should focus the base,
I got my cheque yesterday, and I don't really need it, I wonder how many people like me are getting money the don't need. I'd rather that money went to those in need, illegal or otherwise.

Last edited by johnwoo; Apr 16th 2020 at 9:23 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I got my cheque yesterday, and I don't really need it, I wonder how many people like me are getting money the don't need. I'd rather that money went to those in need, illegal or otherwise.
Based on all the posts in my fish groups who bought aquariums and related supplies with it, at least a few dozen on that forum alone, although I am assuming if someone bought aquarium stuff with it, they don't actually need it, so it was free money.

But there are some sours over there because they didn't qualify for a check, I assume those folks made too much.

Canada isn't offering a stimulus check, but they are helping the unemployed and underemployed due to COVID with 2,000 a month.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 16th 2020 at 10:54 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 11:01 pm
Banned

He has also forgotten that Obama was the last president. He thinks it was Bush.

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/202...uncomfortable/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.