2020 Election

Old Oct 26th 2020, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Leslie
I hope more BEers tell their voting experience in whatever way see fit --- I love to read about the scenes in the different states.
Unfortunately, I came to this thread to post a less than happy impression of US voting. I have been a citizen for less than two years, so have voted in a local election, the primaries, and now this. The first time was in-person and I was mortified to discover races on my ballot that I had never heard about. I had read my voter guide from cover to cover, but nothing suggested there would be local races I should look up in advance. Rookie mistake.

The two subsequent times I was wise to the system, but was also voting mail-in. Unfortunately, I discovered that even with a nice cup of tea, all the time in the world, and the entire internet, there was STILL no information to be found on various people in the down-ballot races. I find this deeply disenfranchising, tbh

Have I missed something? Is there some kind of decent system to being an informed voter?

I do not consider talking to people with clipboards or picking up the phone to random numbers "decent".
Old Oct 26th 2020, 12:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
Unfortunately, I came to this thread to post a less than happy impression of US voting. I have been a citizen for less than two years, so have voted in a local election, the primaries, and now this. The first time was in-person and I was mortified to discover races on my ballot that I had never heard about. I had read my voter guide from cover to cover, but nothing suggested there would be local races I should look up in advance. Rookie mistake.

The two subsequent times I was wise to the system, but was also voting mail-in. Unfortunately, I discovered that even with a nice cup of tea, all the time in the world, and the entire internet, there was STILL no information to be found on various people in the down-ballot races. I find this deeply disenfranchising, tbh

Have I missed something? Is there some kind of decent system to being an informed voter?

I do not consider talking to people with clipboards or picking up the phone to random numbers "decent".
I’m not sure what state you’re in. But two places that spring to mind are the County Board of Elections, and the League of Women Voters. I agree, some of the local candidates have ZERO presence online. We have a candidate for Town Justice. The only reference I found for her online, was a notice for her playing in a rock band at a local coffee house, five years ago. So then I remembered that I actually knew her.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I’m not sure what state you’re in.
NY, specifically NYC. The Campaign Finance Board does a good job of the middle-ticket races, but then it peters out for the very local stuff.

Originally Posted by robin1234
The only reference I found for her online, was a notice for her playing in a rock band at a local coffee house, five years ago. So then I remembered that I actually knew her.
Aha! System works well...
Old Oct 26th 2020, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Had the same experience when I first voted. Fortunately found a source subsequently, that lists everyone bar the local council and school board positions. For them I go to the local FB community page. One of the council candidates this year decided to shout even louder than Trump. From that and other posts, it was easy to see all the Trump republicans running even though they are not allowed to say which party they represent in local elections. The school board positions were harder to figure out as they all seem pretty decent candidates. My husband's friend in Scotland was amazed at the number of people we have to vote for in a general election and even more amazed when he saw the map of our congressional district which stretches way pass Waco and that the next street along is completely different congressional district, yet just a hundreds yards to the left , one block is in the same district as we are are.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Had the same experience when I first voted. Fortunately found a source subsequently, that lists everyone bar the local council and school board positions. For them I go to the local FB community page. One of the council candidates this year decided to shout even louder than Trump. From that and other posts, it was easy to see all the Trump republicans running even though they are not allowed to say which party they represent in local elections. The school board positions were harder to figure out as they all seem pretty decent candidates. My husband's friend in Scotland was amazed at the number of people we have to vote for in a general election and even more amazed when he saw the map of our congressional district which stretches way pass Waco and that the next street along is completely different congressional district, yet just a hundreds yards to the left , one block is in the same district as we are are.
You didn't say you were in Austin I don't think but that sounds about right. I read somewhere that Austin has some of the most convoluted gerrymandered districts in the country, in a blatant attempt to stop Austin (which is very liberal) from electing a dem candidate.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 5:05 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's always a little daunting for people voting for the first time in a general election. I have always relied on local newspapers and/or magazines. This link is to the Texas Tribune page ... you have to scroll way down to get to the good stuff. Still there may not be a whole lot of information about the individuals. Somebody mentioned facebook which is a good source for local stuff in general. I often skip ones that I don't know anything about or if I don't like either candidate.

https://apps.texastribune.org/featur...0/#your-ballot
Old Oct 26th 2020, 7:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's always a little daunting for people voting for the first time in a general election. I have always relied on local newspapers and/or magazines. This link is to the Texas Tribune page ... you have to scroll way down to get to the good stuff. Still there may not be a whole lot of information about the individuals. Somebody mentioned facebook which is a good source for local stuff in general. I often skip ones that I don't know anything about or if I don't like either candidate.

The lists of judges (retain/don't retain) go on for bloody ever where I am. I hunt down organizations who assess their records, looking for judges who may have a large number of decisions overturned on appeal on the basis of improper trials for one reason or another, that sort of thing. If I can't find any info and don't have a clue, then I tend to skip that line rather than influence an outcome where I have no idea what may be going on.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 8:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded re the local newspaper. Their site is my go-to for candidate information and relevant links. The town’s site has information on local advisory questions that appear on the ballot.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
.....If I can't find any info and don't have a clue, then I tend to skip that line rather than influence an outcome where I have no idea what may be going on.
It would be good if everyone did that. I have come across people voting based on candidates' names!

Old Oct 26th 2020, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all the propositions I hate. Luckily google has made it much easier to get the low down on them.

For the federal offices I tend to vote straight party line, as I don't like the other party, and do not want the other party to have power, and will never trust them to have power.

Would be nice to have more than just 2 viable parties though.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I often skip ones that I don't know anything about or if I don't like either candidate.
This is very difficult for me to do. I am Australian and being raised with mandatory voting gives you very specific ideas about your obligations. "Don't know and can't find out" makes me feel like I have failed
Old Oct 26th 2020, 9:59 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

This is very difficult for me to do. I am Australian and being raised with mandatory voting gives you very specific ideas about your obligations. "Don't know and can't find out" makes me feel like I have failed
The times that I've skipped it has been because of my own lack of research so, FWIW, it is a failure of sorts. For you, next general election, you'll be forewarned and will probably be able to better research your candidates. Also, you know now that there are a lot of people on here willing to help you find the information you need before hand.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 10:13 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Judges always get a no renewal from me. School board and propositions are mostly random choices.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 12:04 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Interesting, didn't even think about checking those figures.
So, your neighbour in his squarely red county can report that we have had a 41.04% turnout of eligible voters.
Those who have voted are:
48,552 (of 118,375) registered Republicans;
41,213 (of 83,648) registered Democrats;
22,455 ( of 71,404) other.

Breaking that down even further:
Republican: 30,405 (mail), 18,742 (in person)
Democrat: 32,927 (mail), 8,942 (in person)
Other: 16,317 (mail), 6,513 (in person)

Note that nearly half the registered Democrats have already voted, compared with just over two-fifths of Republicans and under a third of the rest.
The comparison between mailers and in person voters makes for interesting perusal, one should not forget that this is a county where I can, if I were bloody stupid enough, shop in stores without a mask being required and you wouldn't know that the world were in the grip of a pandemic if it weren't for the appearance of masked persons in the supermarkets - not that this goon goes in them very often as one of the first things the missus did when the apocalypse struck was to fork out for home delivered shopping.
That is more detail than i care for, but i will add that i have been tracking the registered voters on the pinellas site and there is a slight increase in republicans, which is disappointing.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 12:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking of Judges, ACB got the nod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.