2020 Election

Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:26 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Of course, it's mainly about Uber's bottom line.

I'm voting "no" on this one as I believe drivers should be treated as employees with commensurate benefits. I'm also fed up of incessant political mailings from Uber that I never asked for beyond having used Uber in the past. To me, being a consumer of a company doesn't give them carte blanche to do this.
I'm going to vote 'No' on exempting app-based transportation companies (weird and confusing wording on this prop).
At the end of the day, Uber will just pass the cost on to the consumer, and I'm okay with that. The drivers are the ones who have gotten continually squeezed, year in, year out.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:34 am

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
California is proposition heaven.

Propositions include:
14- Bond, Issues $5.5 billion in bonds for state stem cell research institute
15- Taxes, Requires commercial and industrial properties to be taxed based on market value and dedicates revenue
16- Repeals Proposition 209 (1996), which says that the state cannot discriminate or grant preferential treatment based on race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in public employment, education, or contracting
17- Restores the right to vote to people convicted of felonies who are on parole
18- Allows 17-year-olds who will be 18 at the time of the next general election to vote in primaries and special elections
19- Changes tax assessment transfers and inheritance rules
20- Makes changes to policies related to criminal sentencing charges, prison release, and DNA collection
21- Expands local governments' power to use rent control
22- Considers app-based drivers to be independent contractors and enacts several labor policies related to app-based companies
23- Requires physician on-site at dialysis clinics and consent from the state for a clinic to close
24- Expands the provisions of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and creates the California Privacy Protection Agency to implement and enforce the CCPA
25-
Replaces cash bail with risk assessments for suspects awaiting trial

Prop 22 support has spent the most money this year for any prop, $184,344,108.14 so far.

Prop 18 comes in with the least amount spent, support $342,424.10, opposition $0

https://ballotpedia.org/California_2...t_propositions

2016 my county had a lot of judges, but this time around only 1.
Some of these are no-brainers for me, but there are a couple I'm genuinely on the fence with especially Prop 15.

Prop 15 - it's time for corporate to chip in a bit more. The schools are in shocking condition, frankly I'm embarrassed by how often we receive begging emails from teachers asking for classroom necessities. It's genuinely mind-boggling that a teacher is only allowed to write off $250 worth of classroom expenses, but the president can do the same with $70,000 worth over comb-over styling. That said, I'm concerned that the mom-n-pops will get screwed, and the tenants will pass the cost on to consumers.
I'd much rather see a coordinated effort to combat corporate tax avoidance... but that's a bit of a pipe dream at the moment.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I'm going to vote 'No' on exempting app-based transportation companies (weird and confusing wording on this prop).
At the end of the day, Uber will just pass the cost on to the consumer, and I'm okay with that. The drivers are the ones who have gotten continually squeezed, year in, year out.
Ignoring Uber/Lyft etc's doom-and-gloom statements, what do you guys think will actually happen if the prop fails (that is, if they are forced to treat drivers as employees)? Do you think they'll still be able to allow drivers to work a very flexible schedule, and a very 'light' schedule?
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by vespucci
I don't vote on most of the propositions. Too much to study. I don't know how people manage to vote on all of them.

I suspect many people decide based on ads and how it's presented rather than the merits of the proposition. There was a proposition a couple of years ago which was similar in parts to the present Prop 19, but it was rejected I expect because it was said to be promoted by realtors who would profit from the increase in senior home sales. With the present Prop 19 there doesn't seem to be any talk of realtors, instead the benefit to Fire Protection and schools from the increased revenue from more sales, so I expect it will pass.
Some of them are no-brainers for me. Cash bail-type issues I already have strong opinions on. For research, I read the little voters guide booklet (does an acceptable job of presenting both sides), and I'll google/read up a bit. There's a local outlet called The Voice of San Diego, and they do a great job of putting together a dedicated podcast episode presenting the props and deep-diving to an extent. I like to 'wonk' out on state and local issues.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Ignoring Uber/Lyft etc's doom-and-gloom statements, what do you guys think will actually happen if the prop fails (that is, if they are forced to treat drivers as employees)? Do you think they'll still be able to allow drivers to work a very flexible schedule, and a very 'light' schedule?
Yes, because at the end of the day, that's the backbone of their business model. I think the market will eventually determine whether it's viable business. It should just be done without squeezing the drivers.
It really bothers me that VCs are ploughing bajillions into Uber and Lyft, and forcing drivers into almost-poverty wages, sidestepping all of the responsibilities of a traditional business operation. (It's like how Air BnB can 'create' a hotel resort on a residential street that was never zoned for that purpose, and just claim that they are simply a 'technology company.

That said, I think the legislation put together by Lorena Gonzalez in the State Senate (it's not just about transportation, but covers freelancers of various descriptions) is not-very-well-done to say the least.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

This just in (apparently...) https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...changes-429550

Postal Service agrees to reverse service changes

"The postal service agreed to reverse all changes, which included reduced retail hours, removal of collection boxes and mail sorting machines, closure or consolidation of mail processing facilities, restriction of late or extra trips for timely mail delivery, and banning or restricting overtime. The agreement also requires the Postal Service to prioritize election mail."
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by username.exe
Yes, because at the end of the day, that's the backbone of their business model. I think the market will eventually determine whether it's viable business. It should just be done without squeezing the drivers.
It really bothers me that VCs are ploughing bajillions into Uber and Lyft, and forcing drivers into almost-poverty wages, sidestepping all of the responsibilities of a traditional business operation. (It's like how Air BnB can 'create' a hotel resort on a residential street that was never zoned for that purpose, and just claim that they are simply a 'technology company.

That said, I think the legislation put together by Lorena Gonzalez in the State Senate (it's not just about transportation, but covers freelancers of various descriptions) is not-very-well-done to say the least.
I am probably one of the few people on the planet who has never used Uber/lyft, AirBnB, Instacart, etc. Not one single app-based service. I'm totally not comfortable with AirBnB for the reasons you give (and more).
Old Oct 15th 2020, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used AirBnB, not the others, falls into the Facebook/Twitter/patreon category and would avoid. AirBnB has the big advantage of being a generic name, like Hoover and no obvious direct competition. However grossly overvalued, vey ephemeral business as the COVID has shown, for all their talk laid off a lot of staff, outsourced or use those companies you have to pay to be employed by, represents everything evil about big Corporate practices.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

More and more city's are also cracking down on AirBnB placing restrictions, which probably wont help their business plan.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
More and more city's are also cracking down on AirBnB placing restrictions, which probably wont help their business plan.
Our buildings do not allow AirBbB. There have been several shootings linked to them in the city, the latest was last night. The bullet actually went through the wall into another unit. Goodness knows how that happened, AFAIK all modern condos have concrete walls between the units.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Our buildings do not allow AirBbB. There have been several shootings linked to them in the city, the latest was last night. The bullet actually went through the wall into another unit. Goodness knows how that happened, AFAIK all modern condos have concrete walls between the units.
This one was pretty near us. I actually know the street quite well:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/4200542002/
Old Oct 15th 2020, 6:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just cast my ballot as an early voter.

I don't mind telling you that that's one more vote that Trump will have to overcome to be reelected.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had 2 new AirBnB's open up by me just as the Covid hot big time, the County banned them but as they did not do anything practical people just carried on.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Senate ad from the Lincoln Project targeting Alaskan's

Old Oct 15th 2020, 8:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I had 2 new AirBnB's open up by me just as the Covid hot big time, the County banned them but as they did not do anything practical people just carried on.
I blame big government and over regulation for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.