Teaching Salaries?

Old Apr 12th 2009, 8:13 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Salaries?

Originally Posted by hereshoping
The easiest places to find work is in the outer suburbs, particularly in the west and north of the city. If you're prepared to travel an hour or more around the city there are plenty of jobs. The best schools are in the inner city and eastern suburbs in my opinion.

If you're looking for jobs for the start of the 2010 academic year then I'm afraid i think it would be a waste. Jobs are advertised/filled really late over here compared to the UK. Prime time to be applying for jobs is October, November and even into December. We moved over in July with full intention of doing supply for half a year, just so we'd be here to apply for jobs when they came up and were on the ground to do interviews.
Friend in Brisbane said the same about there, I was surprised about December though.

Cooler
Old Apr 13th 2009, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Friend in Brisbane said the same about there, I was surprised about December though.

Cooler
So was I, in fact they even appointed 2 people to our department after the start of a the academic year. You don't have to give anywhere near as much notice over here and people can decide to take leave very late so some appointments are very late.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:48 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

No point in applying for jobs, even online, before I'm granted is there...even in Private schools?!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

If Nov / Dec are the best months for gaining employment, then I think I'll stick to temporarily moving over at the beginning of the summer hols, take 3 months off unpaid (from current position) and do cas work in Aus from July - Dec. Hopefully I can find work, if not I'll come home and pos forget the dream. If I secure a a job, then sod my notice!! ps why am I on xpats on a bank hol at 11pm. sad!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:14 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Ive a mortgage to pay so cant take 3 months unpaid leave lol
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

I've a morgage also but for the sake of three months I'll manage. Hopefully the casual work will pay my morgage. I'll camp in WA so wont need accommodation very often, just somewhere to wash etc. My parents live in Melb. so that would be a helpful if I decide on heading East. Anyway, what's a Irish girl doing on xpats at 11pm on a BH?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
No point in applying for jobs, even online, before I'm granted is there...even in Private schools?!
Nope don't think any school would look at appointing someone without a visa- far too risky.

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
If Nov / Dec are the best months for gaining employment, then I think I'll stick to temporarily moving over at the beginning of the summer hols, take 3 months off unpaid (from current position) and do cas work in Aus from July - Dec. Hopefully I can find work, if not I'll come home and pos forget the dream. If I secure a a job, then sod my notice!! ps why am I on xpats on a bank hol at 11pm. sad!
Sounds like you've got nice employers if they'll give you 3 months leave knowing that you might not come back. We just quit in July and crossed our fingers, casual work turned out to be easy to pick up.

Ive a mortgage to pay so cant take 3 months unpaid leave lol
Are you planning on keeping your UK house? If so then I agree it would be difficult to cover the mortgage and your living expenses over here just on casual work. Remembering of course that if you get a permanent position the academic year doesn't start until end Jan/ beginning Feb so it's close to 5 months without a salary which is a bit scary I agree. We sold our house so didn't have to worry about that, but then we don't have any kids to worry about and were certain we weren't going back to the UK.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

blackjack041 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on your expectations of obtaining a visa etc.... Why not, what do you have to lose? Keep your options open... You maybe very surprised with the position of some schools etc. You could also use this to your benefit with immigration - why give them a ring and quiz them over it. I found the immigration dept very helpful!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:12 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Nope don't think any school would look at appointing someone without a visa- far too risky.

Sounds like you've got nice employers if they'll give you 3 months leave knowing that you might not come back. We just quit in July and crossed our fingers, casual work turned out to be easy to pick up.

Are you planning on keeping your UK house? If so then I agree it would be difficult to cover the mortgage and your living expenses over here just on casual work. Remembering of course that if you get a permanent position the academic year doesn't start until end Jan/ beginning Feb so it's close to 5 months without a salary which is a bit scary I agree. We sold our house so didn't have to worry about that, but then we don't have any kids to worry about and were certain we weren't going back to the UK.
Planning on selling, once it's actually worth something lol
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:13 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by blackjack041
Depending on your expectations of obtaining a visa etc.... Why not, what do you have to lose? Keep your options open... You maybe very surprised with the position of some schools etc. You could also use this to your benefit with immigration - why give them a ring and quiz them over it. I found the immigration dept very helpful!
Phone who? Immigration? And say what, that sounds scary lol
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

blackjack041 is an unknown quantity at this point

Phone who? Immigration? And say what, that sounds scary lol
What I meant was, if you have a job offer and require a visa then immigration should be more than happy to help - that's what I found anyway.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:39 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by blackjack041
What I meant was, if you have a job offer and require a visa then immigration should be more than happy to help - that's what I found anyway.
Did you get a job offer before your visa was granted?!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:54 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked at SA Jen and the ones I'v found all say you need perm res. I don't think it does any harm to be proactive though. If you are going to send your visa off, I'd keep it short and sell your self, not your qualifications. I've had to look at quite a few CV's recently as we advertised a post and the turn off's are too long, full of errors and say nothing about the person.

Oh, make it clear you've passed TA.

Cooler
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:08 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
I've looked at SA Jen and the ones I'v found all say you need perm res. I don't think it does any harm to be proactive though. If you are going to send your visa off, I'd keep it short and sell your self, not your qualifications. I've had to look at quite a few CV's recently as we advertised a post and the turn off's are too long, full of errors and say nothing about the person.

Oh, make it clear you've passed TA.

Cooler
Okie kokies
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I've honestly never heard of anyone in teaching who got a job before their visa grant (excluding those going on temporary state sponsored visas of course). It's rare to even get a job before moving in you have PR and are registered with the state body.

Most schools won't have a clue who TA are- it's only to do with visas, australian teachers have nothing to do with TA and TA have only been doing the assessments for a couple of years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.