Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Your INTERNET SPEED ?

Your INTERNET SPEED ?

Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your INTERNET SPEED ?

Originally Posted by fionamw
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1328985626.png

But considering it's wifi and I pay a cup of nube, I'm not complaining either way! ... how do you get the actual pic rather than a link? I know I'm no techie but......
Click on the Forum button next to the Url and copy that, then paste in post.

Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:13 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The distance from the repeater makes so much difference in that speed drops as current drops over long distances, especially as (except for those using the rural radio system) the systems are predominately copper rather than fibre. But with all the competition it makes me wonder it there is something underlying all this?
Because Telefonica is the national carrier responsible for the backbone infrastructure are selling capacity to those competitors is the price\speed dependent on the amount of money they have?
Is the actual speed there except in the larger conurbations and then for companies that have to pay €megabucks ??
Do the fibres actually leave the larger conurbations or is it only copper?
How far has Telefonica got with installing fibres??

This sounds like the problems we have had with BT in the UK who have spent more on stopping others riding on their backbone than accepting they have a national responsibility and the original systems were laid down when a public utility.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1328985626.png

But considering it's wifi and I pay a cup of nube, I'm not complaining either way! ... how do you get the actual pic rather than a link? I know I'm no techie but......
after you click 'share result', it gives you the option of URL or Forum

choose forum
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
after you click 'share result', it gives you the option of URL or Forum

choose forum
Snap.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominosafety
The distance from the repeater makes so much difference in that speed drops as current drops over long distances, especially as (except for those using the rural radio system) the systems are predominately copper rather than fibre. But with all the competition it makes me wonder it there is something underlying all this?
Because Telefonica is the national carrier responsible for the backbone infrastructure are selling capacity to those competitors is the price\speed dependent on the amount of money they have?
Is the actual speed there except in the larger conurbations and then for companies that have to pay €megabucks ??
Do the fibres actually leave the larger conurbations or is it only copper?
How far has Telefonica got with installing fibres??

This sounds like the problems we have had with BT in the UK who have spent more on stopping others riding on their backbone than accepting they have a national responsibility and the original systems were laid down when a public utility.
I guess the answer to that is .... not very far!
Things are better down on the coast but for those of us inland Telefonica rule and there is no competition.
This year they are laying fibre optic cables in our nearest town some 7kl away, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to do the same here as not enough people are connected to make it worth their while.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:22 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I guess the answer to that is .... not very far!
Things are better down on the coast but for those of us inland Telefonica rule and there is no competition.
This year they are laying fibre optic cables in our nearest town some 7kl away, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to do the same here as not enough people are connected to make it worth their while.
in 1990 a friend of mine, working for GPT (GEC/Plessey Telecom) was installing the fibre repeaters on various routes around East Anglia. He said BT were ripping all the copper out and replacing with fibre and paying for the project with the scrap value of the copper. Considering the astronomical scrap value of copper (see http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719243) Telefonica should be well ahead, not running to stand still.

Perhaps the "plan" is to install on the basis of "who shouts loudest" or something. Even in the UK there are people out "in the wilds" who don't have a telephone line or have v e r y s l o w broadband. I can see another EU grant coming in here . . . . .
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Think yourselves lucky

Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:26 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominosafety
He said BT were ripping all the copper out and replacing with fibre and paying for the project with the scrap value of the copper.
What makes you think Telefonica use copper?

Judging by some of the speeds reported here they are using wet string
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:57 am

is that string wetted from local well ?? remember that tin cans can rust and that also effects the quality of signal
oh memories of another life
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
What makes you think Telefonica use copper?

Judging by some of the speeds reported here they are using wet string
Well going off the speeds that Mitzyboy and myself are getting for our 40€ a month... I would say it's more like they are using smoke signals.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:55 pm

Just in case you thought you were on your own with this problem and all was rosy in the UK try http://www.xlntelecom.co.uk/business...oadband-grant/

It looks like even the UK's technology corridor is having problems
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Avg Download 50.74 mb/s
Avg Upload 18.37 mb/s
Avg Ping 82 ms

Live in the camp with no fixed telephone line so use Movistar dongle. Pay about 14 euros a month.

Last edited by battlezone123; Jun 8th 2011 at 1:15 am.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of interest, if you just do a ping on your command prompt, and you have internet but get 'request timed out' what does that mean????
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:59 pm

Fiona
would suggest you put the wrong destination into the ping command or the detination is not connected
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:25 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of interest, if you just do a ping on your command prompt, and you have internet but get 'request timed out' what does that mean????
It could also mean that it can not resolve the destination. That is, in computer speak it can't resolve the address of what you are trying to PING.

You would think that PING www.microsoft.com should work but it don't!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.