Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Your INTERNET SPEED ?

Your INTERNET SPEED ?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:52 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your INTERNET SPEED ?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I dont even know what cable you are talking about Dom. The signal is transmitted to the mast, and from there to my house. Thats how I am told it works, so I know not what Movistar have to do with it.
Absolutely agree. For us, the company (ONO) beam the signal from their office to their various masts and then on to us (line of sight). The masts are really only acting as repeaters I guess.

We have gone for 3Mb (as, like you, we are not in a town and could only get .5 - 1Mb from Movistar) but could have opted for 20Mb - they showed me that it was possible but I really couldn't justify the extra couple of euros
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:55 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Absolutely agree. For us, the company (ONO) beam the signal from their office to their various masts and then on to us (line of sight). The masts are really only acting as repeaters I guess.

We have gone for 3Mb (as, like you, we are not in a town and could only get .5 - 1Mb from Movistar) but could have opted for 20Mb - they showed me that it was possible but I really couldn't justify the extra couple of euros
20 Mb would give some people multiple orgasms!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:58 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I dont even know what cable you are talking about Dom. The signal is transmitted to the mast, and from there to my house. Thats how I am told it works, so I know not what Movistar have to do with it.
thats Ok Mitzy, just come out of your house and think about the transmitter\receiver your house system is communicating with. It is that I am talking about which will be connecting at some point to a cable.

in the same way as although you can perhaps see your television mast, the signal for that will be for example be coming from Madrid and it has to get to that mast somehow. It is normally unlikely to be wireless all the way, although there are some cases where that may be true, but not in normal low grade commercial systems. using cable means that if there is an outage on the normal route they can reroute.

I have already started investigating the wireless vs sat options as I may be moving out of town and there is a big question mark as to whether or not there is spare line capacity letalone the wumph to give us good bb.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:59 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I guess Telefonica is limited by the fact that they only really offer ADSL services down good old fashioned copper cable which was never designed to carry those sort of data loads.

Clearly the only viable high speed alternatives are fibre optic cable or Wireless connections.

TF doesn't seem to want to get into cable, presumably as the cost of cabling the whole country is huge and as the "state" supplier they might have to attempt to offer 100% coverage. I believe ONO is one of the cable companies that offer cable services in the major towns.

Wireless has to be the way to go and it works really well in small areas. Whether it would be economic to consider a countrywide system may be a problem - Spain is a very large country!

In Malaga city they wanted to put in a city wide high speed WiFi service but legislation screwed that up totally!

We have a WiFi service in our valley with probably only a dozen users. You can get upto 10mb so long as everyone isn't on at the same time. Trouble is it costs at least as much as TF and you don't get a phone line and free calls.

At least TF now seem to have reduced their prices - €24.90 seems to be the new price for 10mb including free calls in Spain and free calls to mobiles (with some limitations).
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fionamw
Actually, the ping is very variable cos I have a ping going almost constantly just to check on who's using what cos if my neighbour's downloading films it's likely to affect my speeds....
Bet your ISP loves you for that but the comment would seem to demonstrate that you do not really understand how a ping works.

Also why is your neighbour using your connection and since you say that your ping response is very variable how do you tie that in with anything else, such as them downloading, and even then how does knowing that help you ?

Sorry but I just don't see the point of it or what you hope to achieve
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Domino
in the middle of Granada, still a city and should get a reasonable landline service, we signed for 3mb - well BH works all day infront of a pc and doesnt want to be doing it all night as well, but all that a SpeedTest gives is 1-1.2mb, so what happened to the 80% ?

have you considered using satellite ? an up\down link in the UK would do wonders for your IP address and open up new avenues.
Don't settle for second best, take it up with the supplier and get their excuse. If you haven't done that you can't complain.
I don't need to use satellite, I'm very happy with the service provided by my supplier, and FilmOn.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
BBC iPlayer is a program that lets you watch BBC retrospectively, either by watching online or downloading. You can probably use it to download progs. that you particularly wanted to see, even with 1Meg. They will take some time to download (depending on the length of the prog.), so would best be done ovenight, but at least you will see the prog. you missed. It is worth giving it a try.
At the moment I only use it for "Spooks".

John.
It's a nice idea, but even with U-Tube videos I have to wait a long time while they download or put up with all the pauses.
Guess for me it's not really a practical option.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I'm not lucky at all. The best I can get is 3mb as we are some way from the exchange. I have been paying €39.90 +iva for that for 8 years!

Last week I finally persuaded Telefonica to reduce it to €24.90.
Well I've been paying that plus line rental & iva for 1mb, so at your new price you are lucky.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:08 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I guess Telefonica is limited by the fact that they only really offer ADSL services down good old fashioned copper cable which was never designed to carry those sort of data loads.

Clearly the only viable high speed alternatives are fibre optic cable or Wireless connections.

TF doesn't seem to want to get into cable, presumably as the cost of cabling the whole country is huge and as the "state" supplier they might have to attempt to offer 100% coverage. I believe ONO is one of the cable companies that offer cable services in the major towns.

Wireless has to be the way to go and it works really well in small areas. Whether it would be economic to consider a countrywide system may be a problem - Spain is a very large country!

In Malaga city they wanted to put in a city wide high speed WiFi service but legislation screwed that up totally!

We have a WiFi service in our valley with probably only a dozen users. You can get upto 10mb so long as everyone isn't on at the same time. Trouble is it costs at least as much as TF and you don't get a phone line and free calls.

At least TF now seem to have reduced their prices - €24.90 seems to be the new price for 10mb including free calls in Spain and free calls to mobiles (with some limitations).
Fred thats what competition does for you. The more discerning expats who complain and start their own business selling broadband on TF leased lines are doing alot to facilitate that.
This means that SP is catching up with GB on this, where there are still fights by BT to restrict access to their exchanges and lines along with restrictions.

A couple of years ago BT made a mistake laying FO cable on a new estate, forgetting that no one had the wherewithal to actually connect to FO. A very expensive mistake they have taken their time "resolving",

I know a couple of guys in SP who were advocating the use of wireless in the citys as well as the sticks because of subsidies which brought the price down, but not sure if that option is now running.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

20 Mb would give some people multiple orgasms!
Europa's new masts will be up and running by the end of October !!!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

There's a large part of me thinking (a) whyever did we buy a house with no line of sight to anywhere and no way of getting Spanish tv without an expensive Satellite deal and (b) I'm just grateful for ANY internet at home, thankfully it's a half decent speed.
BUT I don't understand this speed/jitter thing.
I took records by hand as quickly as I could, failed to get a whole minute's worth of pings, but what resulted was the following (approx 1 sec intervals on a home-requested ping test, not pingtest.net) ... read the columns downwards then from left to right to get the sequence!!

106 104 102 152
102 104 142 107
103 104 103 102
102 108 100 102
113 129 147 103
99 113 108 102
101 106 106 107
103 133 117 105
103 106 102 ETCETERA!
106 116 106
115 123 104
154 103 106
111 99 109
152 111 105
105 146 100

does anyone know enough to make anything of this gobbledegook? I know anything less than 3 figures is acceptable, low 100s ok, once I see the numbers into 500+ it's not quite as quick (which happened a lot in the summer months, neighbour suggested it was because so many more homes occupied, kids off school) but then everything's relative.... our previous satellite phone type link was dire. Over 800 and you notice a real difference.
Just to say what I've said before, those of you in cities, whatever the problems dealing with what is a below-par service, you don't know how good you've got it!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by fionamw; Sep 27th 2011 at 7:30 am. Reason: as usual
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The first thing you have to realise is that each and every one of your pings could be tracing both a different route and number of hops to the requested site so it should be no surprise that the results vary so much.

Even if they all religiously followed the exact same route the demands on each server along the way will be in constant flux which will affect the time your ping takes to be handed on.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: Your INTERNET SPEED ?

Originally Posted by Kayak
HOLY SH*T.
DSB.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by megmet
The title of this thread is "Your Internet speed" it is not....the size of your TV.....mine is bigger than yours!

To some of us here in the sticks Internet speed is very important, many of us get 1mb on rural connections.... we couldn't watch TV on our computers even if we wanted to do so!

Now if you can come up with a solution as to how we can get better speeds without Telefonica/Movistar updating the entire rural network...that really would be a "move with the times" moment!
And before someone says move to another company....we don't have that option in the campo, they don't make enough profit to make then want to compete with Movistar.
A 1MB line is just fine for iPLAYER without using the HD option button.
DSB.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Post Re: Your INTERNET SPEED ?

http://bandaancha.eu/comparativa/adsl-telefono
DSB.