Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

Old Apr 7th 2012, 1:49 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

Originally Posted by EmilyPenguin
We dont, we are English, ...
and neither of us have jobs
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough

Granada is very cheap to rent and to live, but there is no work here! As you say, if you're highly experienced there are jobs. Unfortunately they are currently paying a fraction of what the job would traditionally 'be worth'. As a city it is great. Not too big so you can work everywhere, but no so small that you would get bored. In general there's a great atmosphere, you have the mountains next to the city and the beach a short drive/bus-ride away. There are lots of people in your age-group and of all nationalities (few English but many English-speakers).

How's your boyfriend's English and personality? There are always English teaching positions available in the city for which, if you are willing to work long hours, you can be paid very well and, Spanish is less important.

Moving abroad at a young age can contaminate a person's mother-tongue, especially in less-used areas such as spelling, so it may not be for you. But if your boyfriend arrived more recently all he would need is a TEFL qualification, an outgoing personality and a good work ethic.

If you do decide to come here, the best time to look for work and cheap rental property is August before the students come back and before the academies start term.

Good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:02 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of jobs for highly qualified people!, So many places are looking for managers, bussines developers and IT people,
Well yes, in a way you're right. If you search for "Madrid empleo" on Twitter you'll see plenty of opportunities; equally if you look on this network for Spanish programmers site there are always companies needing skilled IT workers http://dir.betabeers.com/post/ But it's not an option if you don't fit into the "highly skilled but still young" these startup companies are looking for.
For what it's worth I'd forget about "getting on the property ladder" immediately. Find a place you can both find work whether it be Madrid, Gibraltar or London, and then build up your skills, contacts etc. House prices may stabilise but most pundits believe it will be some time before they start to rise again. Another option may be to start your own business - there are various support groups for expat entrepreneurs in Spain, for example this one based in Madrid http://www.guiripreneur.com/ this group on LinkedIn for Spain generally http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Spanish-Connection-58594 or perhaps this one based in Barcelona http://barnatalent.com/about/. If nothing else they will tell you straight off if your plans are remotely feasible or not, as they are people who've done the hard slog of running a business in Spain.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:02 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

why bother telling it like it is, cos these youngsters will only do what they want. They know no fear, see no threat, want it all and for free.

Let them come and we will be able to see how "well" they did in the DM & Express in a couple of years when they are complaining Spain is nothing but a rip-off

Duncan Bannatyne Moment..............
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:06 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
why bother telling it like it is, cos these youngsters will only do what they want. They know no fear, see no threat, want it all and for free.

Let them come and we will be able to see how "well" they did in the DM & Express in a couple of years when they are complaining Spain is nothing but a rip-off

From the first post it seems she lives in Estepona, and has done for most of her life, so she should know the score more or less.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:17 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
From the first post it seems she lives in Estepona, and has done for most of her life, so she should know the score more or less.
sorry Stevie, you know that I am more than willing to help people with information about living and working here but nothing really positive about contacts, parents, relatives how they feel about it all, what help is available

Harsh I know but I think this is all a big windup, key included.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:27 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Are you saying that 4.8 million spaniards are unemployable
It seems that is what is being said.

Originally Posted by EmilyPenguin
about 2 million are.. and the rest are lazy lol
Too lazy to step on the "lader" of success.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:27 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

>>>> possibly one of those multiple personality posters with F A better to do?
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:32 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by missile
>>>> possibly one of those multiple personality posters with F A better to do?
We've been told by the mods that they weed out most duplicate posters. It's not necessarily the case here - as someone above pointed out, someone's English/spelling may not be top notch if they've spent most of their life abroad. Plenty of Brits at home who aren't too good in this respect either.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:40 pm
Started off with nothing

... Plenty of Brits at home who aren't too good in this respect either.
Do you mean those who left school at 16 to run their own business, with no qualifications, no trade, no experience and no hope?

I find OPs spelling mistakes a bit too obvious, maybe contrived to hide their true identity?

Last edited by missile; Apr 7th 2012 at 2:43 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 3:09 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean those who left school at 16 to run their own business, with no qualifications, no trade, no experience and no hope?

I find OPs spelling mistakes a bit too obvious, maybe contrived to hide their true identity?
no - they are pretty typical mistakes of an English kid brough up in the Spanish system - the rhythm of the language is natural, but the spelling is fairly phonetic

no worse than my Aussie nephew though

the OP is in a situation that so many find themselves in - don't forget, 50% of under 25s are unemployed................. at least she's trying to do something about it
Old Apr 7th 2012, 3:11 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Gave Stevie a chance to get his party piece in...all those fantastic teaching jobs in Madrid The OP sounds a perfect candidate for teaching English
Old Apr 7th 2012, 3:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

yes yew cud always trie Gibraltar They are luking for talentad people
and neither of us have jobs

Originally Posted by JLFS
It seems that is what is being said.

Too lazy to step on the "lader" of success.

Gave Stevie a chance to get his party piece in...all those fantastic teaching jobs in Madrid The OP sounds a perfect candidate for teaching English

How pleasant and welcoming everyone is here to a young person asking for advice. Hard to say whether the paranoia or the agreeable behaviour is the most striking.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

EmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

you should learn how to read, I have lived here most of my life, Im 20 years old and moved here when I was 10, I have been brought up here and all my memorys are from here, as well as speaking fluent Andalucian!, my Bf has also been here for 9 years.

We see no fear becasue we have the freedom to move and the age to expirence new things, we have no stings, no kids, no morgage, so we can jump into the deep end and try. We have the life in us to work 20 hours a day, and we can live off cold bake beans without a complaint. ...

I have worked since I was 14. even had my own bussines, I ran someone elses Estate agent.... I have supported my parents and took on their morgage.. So dont come and tell me that I want it all.. and I want it all for free... Becasue I know how it is to have to work hard.. and Im not scared of it.... and NEVER have I taken a penny from the Spanish govoment.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

EmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to all

We've been told by the mods that they weed out most duplicate posters. It's not necessarily the case here - as someone above pointed out, someone's English/spelling may not be top notch if they've spent most of their life abroad. Plenty of Brits at home who aren't too good in this respect either.

If your all digging at my spelling, No.. Im not that good and I admit it.. But I again.. I have lived here since I was 9.. and dropped out of school at 14.. But just becasue I cant spell very well dosent mean Im not a responsable and hard wroking young person...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.