Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

winter fuel payment

winter fuel payment

Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:39 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Also what happens to SP2 contributions. Are these payable on top of the £140 as I cannot see that the state can take this away.
There are actually two proposals on the table.

1: To continue with a 2 tier system of basic pension and also with an income related second pension SP2. Over time the value of the SP2 pension will reduce for high earners to a flat level. Any existing contributions would be take into account.

2: To move to a single flat pension slightly greater than the current guaranteed minimum pension which would not be means tested and would be £140/wk.

The SP2 pension would cease to exist and so would the option to contract out. Any existing SP2 entitlement that would have entitled you to a greater pension that the new flat rate pension would be taken into account and you could get more than £140.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/state-pen...st-century.pdf
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure that's right. As I understand it and I may be wrong you need 28 years NI contributions to get the full pension.
The £140 equates to what is the current guaranteed minimum a pensioner receives and this is meant to avoid means testing. I do not think this is necessarily fair, firstly on existing pensioners who will not benefit and secondly it benefits new pensioners who in normal circumstances would not receive anything above the old basic amount as they have there own pensions or other assets.( I shall be in that category) This must reduce the amount of money available to those who need it most.
The only plus I can see is that it should reduce the cost of administering state pensions and benefits to pensioners.
Also what happens to SP2 contributions. Are these payable on top of the £140 as I cannot see that the state can take this away.
when I first heard about this "new way forward" for pensions I had hoped that it would stop all the anomolies, but no we will still have them with those who will get the New Pension and those who will only have the Old Pension. But the latter will in many instances have completed the original requirement of 40 (?) years of NI payments\credits whilst the former will only have to have accrued 30 years of NI payments\credits. That in itself is a prejudicial alteration.

As I said, I had hoped this was an opportunity to get rid of the anomolies, including the one where pensions are frozen from the day an individual moves to certain countries.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:44 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
2: To move to a single flat pension slightly greater than the current guaranteed minimum pension which would not be means tested and would be £140/wk.
There is a third way and that is to wait until the standard pension reaches 140 pounds and let´s face it by the time they have finished faffing about it probably will have.

Graham
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
There is a third way and that is to wait until the standard pension reaches 140 pounds and let´s face it by the time they have finished faffing about it probably will have.

Graham
I was under the impression this was being introduced in 2016 but you never know until it happens.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:59 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression this was being introduced in 2016 but you never know until it happens.
With inflation as it is in the UK it probably will work out about right.

Graham
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
when I first heard about this "new way forward" for pensions I had hoped that it would stop all the anomolies, but no we will still have them with those who will get the New Pension and those who will only have the Old Pension. But the latter will in many instances have completed the original requirement of 40 (?) years of NI payments\credits whilst the former will only have to have accrued 30 years of NI payments\credits. That in itself is a prejudicial alteration.

As I said, I had hoped this was an opportunity to get rid of the anomolies, including the one where pensions are frozen from the day an individual moves to certain countries.
Perhaps the government will be generous and give us a refund for the ten extra years NI payments we have made.
IMO it's very wrong that those who have no intention of working for a living will in the end receive more than those of us who have worked hard to pay our way.....
But then nothing much changes does it, they already do with all the benefits they get!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

I wish we would get a refund! I paid the extra years, My husband will be a few months too old to get the £140, though he only had to get 30 yrs contributions to get a full pension. It's amazing that people with less than 2 years between them could be required to have made such different contributions for the same pension.

This is what is happening to teachers pensions. Imagine having the energy for 30+ teenagers at 68!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...by?INTCMP=SRCH
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:19 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anna58
I wish we would get a refund! I paid the extra years, My husband will be a few months too old to get the £140, though he only had to get 30 yrs contributions to get a full pension. It's amazing that people with less than 2 years between them could be required to have made such different contributions for the same pension.

This is what is happening to teachers pensions. Imagine having the energy for 30+ teenagers at 68!!!

I can understand that statement, and I don't think anyone should be suggesting it, but.....retiring at 55 is surely a cop-out.? The older teacher has so much more to offer in knowledge and experience - both of the job and of life in general. Why just give them the clock and send home for a nice cup of tea,! We need to find a way of utilising and harnessing that knowledge and experience later on in life rather than just turning the radio off and throwing it in the bin.
Children generally respect and learn easier from their grandparents than their parents - there is no threat.

thinking about your statement it could be rewritten to read
Imagine having the energy for 30year old pupils at 68
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Yes, out of the classroom and into pastoral or family liason at 60 might work. There is a wealth of experience there, but I doubt the money is available for any frills.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:10 am

Yes, out of the classroom and into pastoral or family liason at 60 might work. There is a wealth of experience there, but I doubt the money is available for any frills.
not just education Anna, but the whole of the workplace, when providing ongoing professional training.

younger people see young teachers as older brothers and sisters, mothers, fathers, all of whom they have issues with one way or another, as a threat of one form or another. This increases the tension, raising barriers that deflect the teaching, which is seen as a rebuffing of their authority as a teacher.

older people, generally, are more easy going, more patient, find it easier to get the point over without being authoritarian. They are also given respect without demanding it.

Many younger people tend to gyrate towards their grandparents for support, a shoulder to cry on or to unburden their worries and fears. Things they find they can never discuss with their parents.

But remember that later on in life when receiving training on new products, new systems etc etc, that especially when technology is involved, companies use young eager go-get individuals to carry out training, which is resented by the older members of staff attending the course. This can lead to poor retention of the information.

So please do not write off the oldies, even at 68, they can have very useful transferrable skills that can, and should, be employed to good use for the future of our country and our race.
You should never put an older worker in a shoe box with a clock and tell them to watch it. That is a waste of a life time of learning.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:02 pm

When I started school five years after the war there were a number of teachers that came out of retirement to fill the gaps of those killed in the war. I do not remember them being treated any differently to younger staff but,if my memory serves me well, they were more relaxed and easier to converse with.

Graham
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Imagine having the energy for 30+ teenagers at 68!!!

Mr Chips did!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:05 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Mr Chips did!
And peter Stringfellow.........
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS
And peter Stringfellow.........
worked for Mccain's and made chips
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Most of the teachers are burnt out by 55 non teachers dont really know what a stress profession it actually is.
What are the government thinking about??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.