Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

winter fuel payment

winter fuel payment

Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of
Default Re: winter fuel payment

For those of you who are a trifle confused there is a paper here that may or may not help.

http://www.retirementexpert.co.uk/wi...ng-abroad.html.

Jim
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:52 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
For those of you who are a trifle confused there is a paper here that may or may not help.

http://www.retirementexpert.co.uk/wi...ng-abroad.html.

Jim
I think you will find your reference disagrees with the official reference
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...ment/DG_179916
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

Winter fuel payments? Designed to help those in the UK I thought. Lots of talk about 'I paid into the system' well lets say you did from ages 16 -65 and you draw pension for twenty years then you will get far far more out of the taxpayer than you ever paid in not counting things like hospital stays costing thousands of pounds a week.

I'm all for us all getting our pensions wherever we choose to spend our retirement but for petes sake claiming winter fuel is really taking the pee. You choose to live in Spain (or wherever), you said I'm off to live abroad, you turned your back on day to day living in the UK...nobody made you do it. Now when things are tight for many expats you want the country you left to bale you out well sorry I really don't think you have any right to this extra payment given to UK pensioners and you have a blooming cheek demanding it. Move back to the UK and apply...live in Spain? don't be cheeky enough to ask for it let alone demand it.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:05 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

PLEASE let me repeat once more, for those who don't seem to have got it the first time, is that the entitlement to Winter Fuel Allowance has got NOTHING to do with what you have paid in, nor for how long, it is a residency-based Benefit. So if you are not resident, then you will not qualify. It does not matter whether you have paid on for fifty years or five, (or none).
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by scampicat
PLEASE let me repeat once more, for those who don't seem to have got it the first time, is that the entitlement to Winter Fuel Allowance has got NOTHING to do with what you have paid in, nor for how long, it is a residency-based Benefit. So if you are not resident, then you will not qualify. It does not matter whether you have paid on for fifty years or five, (or none).
If you are resident in the September when you reach the age of 60 (?) you draw it in UK. If you move within the EU it moves with you.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
it is a residency-based Benefit. So if you are not resident, then you will not qualify
But people in Spain still get it & then accuse me of being full of spite & bile for saying it's wrong!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:29 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
If you are resident in the September when you reach the age of 60 (?) you draw it in UK. If you move within the EU it moves with you.
Yes, I know, but if you are not resident to qualify, (e.g. if you are already living abroad when you reach the qualifying age) then you will not get it. The age to qualify is increasing in line with womens' retirment age. If you are resident in the UK at the right age and right time then you will qualify for it and can take it abroad with you. But you have to be resident in the UK to qualify initially.

Last edited by scampicat; Oct 17th 2011 at 7:32 am.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:44 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
But people in Spain still get it & then accuse me of being full of spite & bile for saying it's wrong!
You are not listening are you!
You see only what you want to see
No one is accusing you of that for having an opinion, which you are quite entitled to have. You are on a British Expat forum and you run down British Expats in a nasty way. What do you expect!? I give up!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Th Uk has MPs ripping off the country right left and centre, the bankers virtually bankrupting the country and making millions out of it, benefit cheats from every part of the world and for the umpteenth time what do we argue about on here the WFA a benefit that people are legally entitled to.
As I have said in the past the worst enemy of the working class is the working class, it no doubt suits the MPs to have arguements such as this to deflect away from the fiddle of the likes of Fox.

Graham
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:07 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
as do entitled people in France, Germany, Italy, and all other member countries of the EU.

are you giving them stick about this payment on the relevent country sections of the BE Forum ? NO only Spain !!

are you having a go at people living in the UK who are taking the WFP when they are earning over £100k NO only Spain !!

as others have said, stop your attacks on people who in most instances have been given the payment due to being in the UK at age 60. I receive it and never filled in a form that I remember. It is automatic.

By the way, the part of Spain I live in during the winter has more cold weather than some parts of England, with snow, ice, etc. And no its not halfway up a mountain.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Th Uk has MPs ripping off the country right left and centre, the bankers virtually bankrupting the country and making millions out of it, benefit cheats from every part of the world and for the umpteenth time what do we argue about on here the WFA a benefit that people are legally entitled to.
As I have said in the past the worst enemy of the working class is the working class, it no doubt suits the MPs to have arguements such as this to deflect away from the fiddle of the likes of Fox.

Graham
I haven't read this thread so am prepared to be shot down in flames!
a friend of mine, from South Africa, arrived in the UK shortly before his 65th birthday, paid national insurance for 4 months only, qualified for winter fuel allowance,then moved to Portugal to live, taking with him his winter fuel allowance for life. He didn't come to the UK for this benefit, and he left because he didn't like the weather in the summer!!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

I paid for 45 years and I was over 60 years of age when I retired however I moved before the 3rd week in September and informed them so I get nothing. My argument would be that if some pensioners in Spain get the allowance then we all should. What difference did it make to the UK that I didn't stay for another couple of months to claim?. I had considered not informing them until after the September but decided I couldn't live with the knowledge that I had defrauded the system. My husband is 4 years younger than me so he also got nothing.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gill556
I paid for 45 years and I was over 60 years of age when I retired

A previous poster has gone to much trouble to explain that this is a residence based benefit and has nothing to do with the amount paid in NI so as such you are not entitled to it.

I have a male friend who after paying into the UK system for 35 years became a father for the first time and then moved to France. He is no longer eligible for Family allowance/child benefit and neither will he get the WFA. Never once has he whinged on about it like some people on here.

It is what it is the rules are clear so why this eternal bitching on about something that is never going to change?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Graham
Yet you chose to live in a country where corruption is endemic.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:02 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Yet you chose to live in a country where corruption is endemic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.