Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Visa over-stayers, how does Spain react to them?

Visa over-stayers, how does Spain react to them?

Old Oct 30th 2021, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa over-stayers, how does Spain react to them?

Originally Posted by Nand
Yikes! Why?
Why not? Surely if there is no consequence for simply ignoring the law then what's the point of the law? It may be better in the first instance to identify such people and give them x amount of time to legalise their position? If they ignore that then they should be told to leave ASAP.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 3:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
For a start, every one of them not paying tax is effectively helping themselves to the contents of my wallet.
I'd happily round them up myself.

Yes you are probably right. Long term legal residents are fed up with illegals driving around in illegal UK registered cars and paying no taxes.

Personally I have paid all my taxes for over 20 years and could buy a decent apartment or a Ferrari with what I have paid out.

The only good thing about Brexit for us residents is that it is more likely to get rid of these illegal scroungers due to the new more restrictive regulations regarding residency and freedom of movement within the Schengen area.

​​​​​​​Where can I join the lynch mob?

Last edited by Fred James; Oct 30th 2021 at 3:11 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Yes you are probably right. Long term legal residents are fed up with illegals driving around in illegal UK registered cars and paying no taxes.

Personally I have paid all my taxes for over 20 years and could buy a decent apartment or a Ferrari with what I have paid out.

The only good thing about Brexit for us residents is that it is more likely to get rid of these illegal scroungers due to the new more restrictive regulations regarding residency and freedom of movement within the Schengen area.
​​​​​​​I agree. There has been plenty of publicity from all quarters re need for people to legalise their situation and even help provided in some situations. Therefore I would have not a jot of sympathy if they get booted out of Spain. It will get more and more difficult for them to continue as they are.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

My level of sympathy would entirely depend on how they voted in the EU referendum.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
My level of sympathy would entirely depend on how they voted in the EU referendum.
Makes no difference.
They had the same amount of time that I had - 90 days.
No extensions, no amnesties get them out.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes no difference.
They had the same amount of time that I had - 90 days.
No extensions, no amnesties get them out.
They had 183 days per annum before they had to become tax resident. This figure of 90 days for EU nationals is wrong. Everyone knows that many UK nationals stayed in Spain for 183 days pre Brexit, that's why they are lobbying the EU states to retain it via a special visa. Good luck with that.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

They had 183 days per annum before they had to become tax resident. This figure of 90 days for EU nationals is wrong. Everyone knows that many UK nationals stayed in Spain for 183 days pre Brexit, that's why they are lobbying the EU states to retain it via a special visa. Good luck with that.
Pre Brexit.
On arrival in Spain, if your intention was to remain for in excess of 90 days you were obliged to join the Register of Foreigners (Residency) immediately. In any event you were obliged to register once in the country for 90 days.
183 days for tax purposes is a different issue.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Let's face most of these people being discussed broke the 90 day rule and the 183 day rule knowingly why should anyone have any sympathy. Yes there used to be some holiday home owners that breached the 90 day rule by a few weeks or so. One could understand that they were holiday home owners to keep endlessly obtaining and then de registering to comply would have proved difficult to say the least. Others just totally ignored all the rules avoiding tax etc in Spain etc. I don't see how anyone can be sympathetic to such people irrespective of how they voted regarding brexit.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 4:32 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Besides, there really can't be that many British 'illegals' left in Spain.

My guess we are debating a problem that does not even exist.

Anyone working in the black economy would have had to go back to the UK as everything including bars etc has been shut for ages during covid.

I simply cannot imagine that anyone of retirement age with all that entails in terms of maturity would not have regularised their circumstances here in Spain, to ensure they did not fall foul of the new post Brexit reality.

See, there we are, no problem exists!
Old Oct 30th 2021, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Besides, there really can't be that many British 'illegals' left in Spain.

My guess we are debating a problem that does not even exist.

Anyone working in the black economy would have had to go back to the UK as everything including bars etc has been shut for ages during covid.

I simply cannot imagine that anyone of retirement age with all that entails in terms of maturity would not have regularised their circumstances here in Spain, to ensure they did not fall foul of the new post Brexit reality.

See, there we are, no problem exists!
You have little view of reality and a very limited imagination.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 5:16 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

You have little view of reality and a very limited imagination.
Tongue in cheek!

Last edited by agree_to_disagree; Oct 30th 2021 at 5:36 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pre Brexit.
On arrival in Spain, if your intention was to remain for in excess of 90 days you were obliged to join the Register of Foreigners (Residency) immediately. In any event you were obliged to register once in the country for 90 days.
183 days for tax purposes is a different issue.
​​​​​​I have yet to meet anyone who has registered because they want to stay in Spain for more than 90 days unless they are relocating permanently. I have known plenty of people who are careful not to exceed 183 days but where does this 90 day thing come from? I know plenty of Dutch, Belgian, French, German nationals who don't even bother to work out how much time they spend in Iberia let alone register.

So tell us, where does one go to register and what did you register as? Can someone step forward if they have completed this procedure while still an EU national? Let's have a link outlining the exact procedure with the appropriate forms please.

If the 90 day limit is nothing new and nothing has changed, why are British holiday home owners whinging about the 90/180 day Schengen rules post Brexit?
Old Oct 30th 2021, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

​​​​​​I have yet to meet anyone who has registered because they want to stay in Spain for more than 90 days unless they are relocating permanently. I have known plenty of people who are careful not to exceed 183 days but where does this 90 day thing come from? I know plenty of Dutch, Belgian, French, German nationals who don't even bother to work out how much time they spend in Iberia let alone register.

So tell us, where does one go to register and what did you register as? Can someone step forward if they have completed this procedure while still an EU national? Let's have a link outlining the exact procedure with the appropriate forms please.

If the 90 day limit is nothing new and nothing has changed, why are British holiday home owners whinging about the 90/180 day Schengen rules post Brexit?
You've a lot of questions for a long established law. Hopefully this should answer them.
https://www.immigrationspain.es/en/e...n-certificate/

For your other questions, I step forward as that person.
At the office of the National Police in Valencia.
As a British national living in Spain.

Once you've had a chance to read and digest please let me know if there's anything else from my post that you don't understand.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Tongue in cheek!
Oh, I see.
Your talents really are wasted here.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

You've a lot of questions for a long established law. Hopefully this should answer them.
https://www.immigrationspain.es/en/e...n-certificate/

For your other questions, I step forward as that person.
At the office of the National Police in Valencia.
As a British national living in Spain.

Once you've had a chance to read and digest please let me know if there's anything else from my post that you don't understand.
This link is clearly aimed at EU nationals who intend to permanently relocate to Spain who are supposed to register within 90 days of their arrival.

This has nothing to do with EU nationals who want to spend up to 183 days a year in their holiday home in Spain.

You are confusing the rule about declaring your intention to relocate to Spain within 90 days of arrival and freedom of movement for travel/holidays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.