Reload this Page >

Using S1 Certificiate for Non Lucrative Visa Application

Using S1 Certificiate for Non Lucrative Visa Application

Old Mar 16th 2024, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Algorfa1950 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using S1 Certificiate for Non Lucrative Visa Application

Originally Posted by Fred James
I thought the language requirement was for UK citizenship, not residency. Its the same in Spain. For citizenship you have to pass a language exam and a test of your knowledge of Spanish history, culture etc.
This is true, PLUS in the UK free interpreters are provided at every opportunity when they need English in any Public Service office, I know because I used to work for the local council and it cost us a fortune every month in interpreter costs, some immigrants didn't even bother to turn up and couldn't even be bothered to ring and cancel the appointment ! I am all for learning the language of the country you are going to live, but to get there to start learning surely it makes sense to help people in the process with forms that you can interpret into English. Forms and official letters in the UK from hospitals and councils etc. are written in at least a dozen languages on the attached pages!! You don't get that in any other EU country that I know of. Britain is too soft in the use of taxpayer money to everyone that arrives on its shores and is one of the reasons I am leaving the UK ! Some of the differences between the Spanish and British process for gaining residency are staggering. Not that I disagree with the Spanish process, I don't, I fully agree with it, they ensure they don't get people who are going to rely on the state for their living, pity they don't employ the same rules in the UK!
Old Mar 16th 2024, 9:13 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the language requirement was for UK citizenship, not residency. Its the same in Spain. For citizenship you have to pass a language exam and a test of your knowledge of Spanish history, culture etc.
For ILR in the UK you need a language test. Imagine the uproar if Spain tried that with permanent residency...
Old Mar 16th 2024, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
For ILR in the UK you need a language test. Imagine the uproar if Spain tried that with permanent residency...
Yep that is my point. Anyway you do need English language for permanent residence in UK not just citizenship. Not going to get drawn into too much of an argument about it but one of the other problems with putting public documents and forms in English is that in alot of cases there are words, categories, documents, processes that do not easily align with Spanish ones and so this invariably leads to confusion. I am at the moment trying to wade my way through declaring UK probate in Spain and there are lots of issues pertaining to various things that don't exactly equate to Spanish things.
Classifying things like premium bonds is a tiny example: Spain does not count them as savings but investments and then want expiry dates and purchase prices etc. Names also involve problems. My son's 720 was put in such a way by the gestor that his official surname uses his middle name and family name!! Anyway we live in Spain and until the costa blanca declares itself an independent state we are probably going to come up against Spanish every now and then!

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Mar 16th 2024 at 10:07 am.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Algorfa1950
This is true, PLUS in the UK free interpreters are provided at every opportunity when they need English in any Public Service office, I know because I used to work for the local council and it cost us a fortune every month in interpreter costs, some immigrants didn't even bother to turn up and couldn't even be bothered to ring and cancel the appointment ! I am all for learning the language of the country you are going to live, but to get there to start learning surely it makes sense to help people in the process with forms that you can interpret into English. Forms and official letters in the UK from hospitals and councils etc. are written in at least a dozen languages on the attached pages!! You don't get that in any other EU country that I know of. Britain is too soft in the use of taxpayer money to everyone that arrives on its shores and is one of the reasons I am leaving the UK ! Some of the differences between the Spanish and British process for gaining residency are staggering. Not that I disagree with the Spanish process, I don't, I fully agree with it, they ensure they don't get people who are going to rely on the state for their living, pity they don't employ the same rules in the UK!
A lot of the official main Spanish government sites do allow you to select English and certain other languages online. I have used that when doing non resident tax returns and residency applications etc. Often though when you bring up a help screen that does often revert to Spanish only. So it's not that they don't do anything to help . At our local hospital there are volunteer translators. They help if for instance in a consultation they are available either in person or via telephone to assist. I'm sure that depends very much on location in Spain and number of foreign residents in the area. I find the hospital very helpful re language difficulties. Medical language can be confusing even in one's own language so isn't really the easiest.
​​​
Old Mar 16th 2024, 12:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

For online stuff, Google translates very well. Even the tax declaration forms come up in English.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
A lot of the official main Spanish government sites do allow you to select English and certain other languages online. I have used that when doing non resident tax returns and residency applications etc. Often though when you bring up a help screen that does often revert to Spanish only. So it's not that they don't do anything to help . At our local hospital there are volunteer translators. They help if for instance in a consultation they are available either in person or via telephone to assist. I'm sure that depends very much on location in Spain and number of foreign residents in the area. I find the hospital very helpful re language difficulties. Medical language can be confusing even in one's own language so isn't really the easiest.
​​​
I agree, not even in a British hospital is it easy to understand some medical conditions LOL !
Old Mar 16th 2024, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

For online stuff, Google translates very well. Even the tax declaration forms come up in English.
Yes I have found that too.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Gt321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course Brits shiukd make an effort to learn Spanish, but a high degree of Spanish language would be needed to fill in some of the forms. I don't know if English is taught in all Spanish schools, but many Spaniarda seem to speak English to a high standard. Plus I think the older you are, the harder it is to learn languages.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gt321
Of course Brits shiukd make an effort to learn Spanish, but a high degree of Spanish language would be needed to fill in some of the forms. I don't know if English is taught in all Spanish schools, but many Spaniarda seem to speak English to a high standard. Plus I think the older you are, the harder it is to learn languages.
Yes I agree, I am 73 and struggle a bit but I know the Spanish love you to attempt the right words and only laugh when you get them wrong which I have done many times, but they appreciate you trying.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree, I am 73 and struggle a bit but I know the Spanish love you to attempt the right words and only laugh when you get them wrong which I have done many times, but they appreciate you trying.
I agree thing is if you try rather than just assume they speak English it is very much appreciated. I was at the hospital recently and the young female doctor only spoke Spanish. I had to say in Spanish that I didn't speak a lot of Spanish and could you speak slower for me. I understood enough to know that she said to her colleague "at least he tries " that's for me is the main thing try your best and most Spaniards will appreciate that and do their best to help. Age is definitely a factor re learning a new language I'm 70 and struggle but do try, that trying is the main thing we are incomers to their country and should rightly try our best.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
I agree thing is if you try rather than just assume they speak English it is very much appreciated. I was at the hospital recently and the young female doctor only spoke Spanish. I had to say in Spanish that I didn't speak a lot of Spanish and could you speak slower for me. I understood enough to know that she said to her colleague "at least he tries " that's for me is the main thing try your best and most Spaniards will appreciate that and do their best to help. Age is definitely a factor re learning a new language I'm 70 and struggle but do try, that trying is the main thing we are incomers to their country and should rightly try our best.
I agree, pity that don't think like that in the UK when they come here in their thousands.😒
Old Mar 17th 2024, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

In Germany it is also for residency since Brexit. Same in Austria.
If you entered the country before the cut off date you don't need it.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, pity that don't think like that in the UK when they come here in their thousands.😒
​​​​In Spain they will call you Guiri or Chan.
Old Mar 17th 2024, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
​​​​In Spain they will call you Guiri or Chan.
What does that mean and what's with the "​​​​" symbols ?

Just put those words in Google Translate and it doesn't even recognise them ?
Old Mar 17th 2024, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

What does that mean and what's with the "​​​​" symbols ?

Just put those words in Google Translate and it doesn't even recognise them ?
Didn't get those symbols on my phone....

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.