Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Using S1 Certificiate for Non Lucrative Visa Application

Using S1 Certificiate for Non Lucrative Visa Application

Old Apr 13th 2023, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

rbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using S1 Certificiate for Non Lucrative Visa Application

Originally Posted by Gt321
Digital copy of cover other on passport is this the other on right hand side when you open it?
Then a pic of yourself holding the oage showing passport number, date of birth etc?
I'm not good with online forms or anything technical!
Quotes from the post: "Here is my experience, as I remember it!"
and "Final thoughts: This is just my experience. Your experience may vary!"

There is no point over analyzing the post, nor trying to make it into some kind of instruction manual. The only valid instructions will be whatever the INSS tell you to do, on your screen, on the day you do it, using whatever hardware and software you have chosen. The post just reflects one persons experience.
Old Apr 13th 2023, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Gt321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rbs_gb
Long Post Warning - It may be best to comment without quoting!

Many of the online guides about applying for an NLV still tell you that you have to have private medical insurance without co-payments in order to apply for an NLV. This situation changed recently, and an S1 certificate from the NHS is now accepted as an alternative to private medical insurance. A few sites have been updated and say this, but the process of actually doing it isn't straightforward. Up until 2022, the S1 would be taken to the local office of the INSS (the Spanish Social Security) along with your visa to register for healthcare. With the new system, as you don't yet have your visa to register the S1, you have to complete a pre-registration process first. For the NLV application, your S1 has to be registered with the Spanish Social Security online first while you are still in the UK, and the consulate will accept a registration certificate from the Spanish Social Security, Not everyone qualifies for an S1, but anyone receiving a UK state pension should qualify.

Here is my experience, as I remember it!

Step 1: First you need to get your S1. Ring the NHS overseas business unit and do a telephone interview to tell them you want an S1. Use this link for more info: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...ur-healthcare/ Note: You will need to provide your Spanish address for this, and you will need it again later in the process. If you are eligible for an S1 they will send you two copies of the certificate in the post. If you can't get an S1, forget the rest of this, you will need private health care.

Step 2: You now need to register the S1 certificate online with the INSS using this link and this page is only in Spanish. That may change over time, but for me, everything from here on was in Spanish.

https://tramites.seg-social.es/acces...a-españa.html

Very important notes! This page will only work using a PC with a web cam, and ONLY on google chrome. I had to install chrome after getting advice and being told sorry, this page doesn´t work with other browsers. You might get past step 2A and 2B below but it will fail at step 3 was my experience. You should make sure that your privacy settings will allow chrome to access your camera. You will also need your phone to hand as parts of the process use two factor authorisation codes sent to your mobile. You will also have to complete email verification checks by clicking links in incoming emails. This whole process is in Spanish only, and you will get on screen instructions and prompts in Spanish at each stage.

Step 2A: You do the registration in two parts, the first part is to complete a C176 form, and that is the button where it says "Descargar PDF". You need to download this PDF form, fill it out on your computer and save it as a file because it is one of the documents you need for Step 2B. When completing the C176, you will need the PIN number of your S1 form. You will also need to know the full address and postcode of where you will stay in Spain when you first arrive. They will use this to pass your S1 application to the correct regional INSS delegation and that is where eventually you will complete the process to get your public health cover active in Spain. In my case, I had a phone call the next day from the Santander INSS office to invite me in for an appointment to complete the process. Wow!

Step 2B: Once you have completed C176 and saved it, you then go to the second button on the original page "Enviar Solicitud". For this you will need your passport to hand, your S1 certificate, and digital copies of the cover page of your passport and the page that show all your personal data. Caution! This page times out and needs to be completed in a single visit, without any option to stop or save it halfway through.

Step 3: You will see a graphic of a persons head and shoulders, arm to the left holding a document. At this point, using the PC camera, you have to hold your passport up in your left hand, open on the data page with your passport photo showing, and fit yourself in the bit with head and shoulders. You are using the camera on the pc to mimic the on-screen graphic. Make sure you don't obscure details on the passport with your fingers! Basically when you have everything "in frame" and in the right position, you take the photo. This records you and your passport details and effectively shows you are making the application in person. This photo has to be readable in detail by the INSS in Spain so make sure you stay still and everything is in focus.

Step 4: You then have to upload the C176 form you did at step 2A, and upload the two photos of the passport.

Step 5: A bit surreal, but you now have to literally sign the page. If you have a laptop with a touchscreen you could use that. In my case, I did the best I could to write my signature with the mouse!

So, having completed all this, and any two step verification checks, you can now "submit" your S1 application to the INSS, and you will get a confirmation email back that it has been received. All you can do now is hope you got it right!

Finally, in my case within two days of completing the process, I received a further email back confirming the S1 had been successfully registered with the INSS and a long confirmation code to use to get the actual registration confirmation document as a PDF. This is what you present with your NLV application at the consulate.

Final thoughts: This is just my experience. Your experience may vary! The whole process for using the S1 for an NLV is still relatively new, and for sure will evolve with time. A lot of people may prefer to simply pay for private health insurance for the purposes of the NLV application, and then register the S1 once in Spain.

Hope that helps
Ray
Before I get a quote from a translator or a solicitor (hard to find either in my area), will I be able to do everything required in 1 session? I.E. all 5 steps in 1 session. And after that I just wait for email(which if in Spanish I can forward it to translator or solicitor)
Sorry if I repeat myself, but a solicitor will need exact details and howong approximately it will take, and whether it will be in 1 appointment or 2.

Old Apr 14th 2023, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Before I get a quote from a translator or a solicitor (hard to find either in my area), will I be able to do everything required in 1 session? I.E. all 5 steps in 1 session. And after that I just wait for email(which if in Spanish I can forward it to translator or solicitor)
Sorry if I repeat myself, but a solicitor will need exact details and howong approximately it will take, and whether it will be in 1 appointment or 2.
Update. What should be a simple thing turns out no to be. I have contacted 3 different Spanish lawyers ,explaining all I need is to go through the application and none of them can do it for me. Ive even contacted just Spanish translators,again, no one can do it. Unbelievable!
Old May 1st 2023, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

You mentioned that a mobile phone is needed as info is sent to it, did you use a UK mobile number or did you have a Spanish mobile number that you used?
Old May 3rd 2023, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

rbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned that a mobile phone is needed as info is sent to it, did you use a UK mobile number or did you have a Spanish mobile number that you used?
Why do I have this gut feeling that you are not actually making an NLV application? Possibly someone updating an NLV guide to include this topic and basing it around this post? Just curious.
Old May 3rd 2023, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Then don't ever trust your gut feeling. Simple questions I've asked,if you don't want to answer that's up to you.
Old Mar 15th 2024, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Algorfa1950 is an unknown quantity at this point

Realise this post was started some time ago but as I have already applied for the registration process of the S1 with the INSS online, just wanted to update my recent experience with the follow up. After the registration on line a week or so ago I received an email today from the INSS asking me for the following : 1) Certificate of Registration (I took this to mean the S1 since they were replying presumably to my Application online to them. This had already been attached to that application. 2) Certificate of Residency and this is where I am completely confused. I was under the impression that the formalisation of the Registration was completed when we got to Spain and were in receipt of our TIE as obviously applying from the UK we are NOT resident in Spain yet anyway !

Has anyone else come up against this before ?

TIA
Old Mar 15th 2024, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

I gave up trying to do it myself, in the end I paid someone to do it for me. I gave my S1 info to them, they did the rest, emailed me the certificate to take to the Consulate, and will finalise it if I get residency.
Old Mar 15th 2024, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

I gave up trying to do it myself, in the end I paid someone to do it for me. I gave my S1 info to them, they did the rest, emailed me the certificate to take to the Consulate, and will finalise it if I get residency.
Well as I say, I already had the S1 Certificates sent to me by The Overseas Dept. and attached copies to the Application Form. Actually I found that bit the easiest if I could have found my Pension commencement letter which I had lost since I have been on a state pension for 12 yrs and had lost the letter). I did manage to get a copy from the DWP eventually and attached it to the Overseas Dept email and they immediately sent me the Certificate with Reg. No.

I will just have to wait and see what my lawyer comes back with !

Old Mar 15th 2024, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Although I had to pay for it, I doubt I would have been able to do it myself, as one if the previous posters pointed out, you needed to do a live application, probably need a decent level of Spanish language.
Old Mar 15th 2024, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Although I had to pay for it, I doubt I would have been able to do it myself, as one if the previous posters pointed out, you needed to do a live application, probably need a decent level of Spanish language.
Well actually I had a lawyer helping me which cost a fortune but in fact all the registering of official forms and obtaining the S1 was left to me and I had to complete the INSS forms myself online, although she did send me an example of what was in the information fields so I knew where to put the information asked for. To be honest I don't know why with all the technology these days they don't just give you the option of completing it in English. It is after all the international language for all business contracts throughout the world !
Old Mar 15th 2024, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

I can understand why a lot of the foms are in Spanish as its Spain that people are hoping to move to, but I'm surprised they don't offer them in several languages.
Old Mar 15th 2024, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

I can understand why a lot of the foms are in Spanish as its Spain that people are hoping to move to, but I'm surprised they don't offer them in several languages.
Me too !
Old Mar 16th 2024, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Algorfa1950
Me too !
Well I don't want to be too harsh but that is why in UK to be given any form of residency the applicant has to prove a competent level of English. The UK argument, no doubt supported by British public opinion , is that people who wish to live in UK and benefit from it's systems require the individual to be able to navigate the various processes that accompany normal every day life. A similar approach is I believe taken in France. Brits however moving abroad simply don't get it. They basically seem to think that English should be used by everyone but never imagine how that places the other people. I have British work colleagues who expect all services in Spain to speak English. They certainly expect the doctor and the hospitals to do that, but imagine how that affects the Spanish person? The doctor loses the dynamic of doctor/ patient relationship as they are the ones whose communicative ability is compromised. This applies in nearly all cases. If you sit and think about it this is how imperialism works- you suppress one culture by imposing a foreign language on that culture. Spain is under no more need to use English in it's public services than the UK needs to use Spanish to help Spanish speakers.

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Mar 16th 2024 at 6:16 am.
Old Mar 16th 2024, 8:36 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the language requirement was for UK citizenship, not residency. Its the same in Spain. For citizenship you have to pass a language exam and a test of your knowledge of Spanish history, culture etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.