Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Traffic Islands

Traffic Islands

Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:58 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traffic Islands

Originally Posted by jimenato
Did you bring up the fact that there are far fewer fatal/serious accidents in the UK compared to Spain? Just about everything about roads and driving in Spain is more dangerous compared to the UK. The Spanish should change ALL their laws and roads to be like British laws and roads and the death rate would be halved in a short time.

I'm going to change my roundabout technique to; right hand lane for turning right and going straight on and left hand lane for turning left and U turn. Anyone who uses the right hand lane for turning left is a) stupid and b) going to get some crazy Brit who wants to go straight on T-bone him from the left hand lane.
I think the speed and risk factor have a big bearing on the number of fatalities.
The Spanish are inclined to both drive faster in unsuitable conditions and also take more risks,...however I would qualify that by saying the difference is much less now than it used to be,..the Spanish now seemingly taking greater notice of the increasing number of speed checks etc.....(much the same in France also, now incidently).
One other noticable difference is that often on very busy rbts.in the UK the road numbers are more often clearly marked in white, within the appropriate lane, so there can be no dispute which is the correct lane.
Otherwise I would say that road markings in Spain are generally quite good,..although very occasionally on minor roads or small villages they can occasionally be missing altogether.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:37 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I think the speed and risk factor have a big bearing on the number of fatalities.
The Spanish are inclined to both drive faster in unsuitable conditions and also take more risks,...however I would qualify that by saying the difference is much less now than it used to be,..the Spanish now seemingly taking greater notice of the increasing number of speed checks etc.....(much the same in France also, now incidently).
One other noticable difference is that often on very busy rbts.in the UK the road numbers are more often clearly marked in white, within the appropriate lane, so there can be no dispute which is the correct lane.
Otherwise I would say that road markings in Spain are generally quite good,..although very occasionally on minor roads or small villages they can occasionally be missing altogether.
I find Spanish roads appalling compared to British roads. In fact when I went back to the UK recently, the roads there were like computer generated games they were so clear! Cats eyes?? why dont Spanish roads have them? reflective white paint?! and as for sign posts and directional posts??? And what about the deep gutters on the verges. I've seen many a car thats obviously missed the road a tad and has ended up lying sideways, well and truly stuck - and written off!!!!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:51 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

What was that last post about Fred?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

What was that last post about Fred?
Two lanes on the road changes to three, then back to two on the roundabout.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:06 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

This is the roundabout I had my problem on:

I was coming down from the north and going straight on. As you can see there is turn left. Why on earth would anyone want to negotiate a U turn in the rght hand lane? It's insane!

Here is the view of the exit

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...12,184.38,,0,5

As you can see there are 3 exit lanes. I was just about where the camera car was when she cut across me - effectively cutting across those three lanes! Madness!! And yet she was in the right.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

jimenato I was aware of which island you were refering to, however with the garage + the refinery it would not be quite so clear to someone who does not know the area.

I was trying to show an island where the 3 int 2 is clearer
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As you can see there are 3 exit lanes. I was just about where the camera car was when she cut across me - effectively cutting across those three lanes! Madness!! And yet she was in the right.
There used to be only two exit lanes as the righthand one was hatched out to protect the exit sliproad from the garage.

No one took any notice of the hatching
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...01937&t=k&z=19

I was coming down from the north and going straight on. As you can see there is turn left. Why on earth would anyone want to negotiate a U turn in the rght hand lane? It's insane!

Here is the view of the exit

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...12,184.38,,0,5

Much like the exception I mention in post 42,...not quite a typical rbt,having a main flow of traffic going straight ahead and one minor exit road.
It could possibly be argued that the lady would have been better of on the inside lane until past the main straight ahead exit,but anyone not familiar with the rbt may be inclined to stick in the outside lane as per the priority law, for safety.
Likewise others very familiar with the straight ahead flow of most traffic, could mistakenly think they were ok on the inside.
However if the outside lane priority always applies as stated, the safest bet is to simply to always stick to it, until reaching the correct exit,whenever in any doubt.
No doubt better markings would also help.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned this one at Murcia Ikea earlier, I defy anyone to get the correct lane and not having to take avoiding action with other cars!

For Ikea from the A7 you enter from the road at top/left and you would need to make a left turn to exit at top/right.
Attached Thumbnails Traffic Islands-rbout.jpg  
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to add, in that pic I have posted is the classic example of what we are all discussing.
Toward the bottom you can see a long white truck going for an exit from the inner lane. Just below him in the outer lane is a car on a collision course with the truck.

Spanish law as everyone is saying is that the car has priority over the truck because its in the right hand/outside lane! Yet in the UK it would be the other way around.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:53 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Forgot to add, in that pic I have posted is the classic example of what we are all discussing.
Toward the bottom you can see a long white truck going for an exit from the inner lane. Just below him in the outer lane is a car on a collision course with the truck.

Spanish law as everyone is saying is that the car has priority over the truck because its in the right hand/outside lane! Yet in the UK it would be the other way around.
That is the most stupid roundabout ever!!

This one in England is much more sensible....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...01937&t=k&z=19
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:33 pm
On the road again.

Used to be some weird roads and rbts.in Tenerife.
One place in Las Am.where taking a left of the Prom would bring you onto the left side of the next st.with traffic coming the opposite way on the opposite side as inthe UK.
Driving towards another village on the East coast would suddenly be confronted with a lane of traffic on each side both coming from the opposite direction,..very unnerving.
Also the weird medi or semi circular,half rbts.,where to turn left you drove off to the right and waited in a queue to cross two lanes of contraflow traffic on what was originally,basically a simple T-junction.
Having said that,a simple T-junction close to my present location has been made into a dogs dinner,akin to spaghetti junction,with little islands,stop signs and white paint as far as the eye can see.
Even now after two years in use it still causes total confusion,even to regular users.
Reckon the Spanish road authorities have a special talent for making simple things difficult,and difficult things nigh-hand impossible.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:47 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Did you bring up the fact that there are far fewer fatal/serious accidents in the UK compared to Spain? Just about everything about roads and driving in Spain is more dangerous compared to the UK. The Spanish should change ALL their laws and roads to be like British laws and roads and the death rate would be halved in a short time.

I'm going to change my roundabout technique to; right hand lane for turning right and going straight on and left hand lane for turning left and U turn. Anyone who uses the right hand lane for turning left is a) stupid and b) going to get some crazy Brit who wants to go straight on T-bone him from the left hand lane.
Yes and I don't think he believed me......anyone got some statistics on accidents / deaths to compare between Spain & UK?

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I find Spanish roads appalling compared to British roads. In fact when I went back to the UK recently, the roads there were like computer generated games they were so clear! Cats eyes?? why dont Spanish roads have them? reflective white paint?! and as for sign posts and directional posts??? And what about the deep gutters on the verges. I've seen many a car thats obviously missed the road a tad and has ended up lying sideways, well and truly stuck - and written off!!!!!

Jo xxx
Cats eyes are not very nice in the rain when you're on a motorbike and they do have high visibility paint but seems to loose its' reflectiveness after a few days, guessing they're using a cheap inferior product......OH has a theory on this........it's so the town hall has regular work to do, hence regular payments and thus regular scamming by the town hall.

Originally Posted by jdr
Two lanes on the road changes to three, then back to two on the roundabout.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 10:34 pm
On the road again.

Apart from items in my last post, I think some things are done better than in the UK,such as pre-warning of the degree of difficulty of the next bend by the number of chevrons or arrows which are now often illuminated by solar power to make them even more noticable.
Having said that,unfortunately many drivers in Spain appear to believe that a car can travel as safely around a corner at the same speed as when travelling in a straight line.
One nice touch is the imitation workman at the roadside waving his red flag to warn of roadworks.
He looks very realistic until you get very close up and I think he does an excellent job considering his long hours and zero wage-bill.

Jeez,what happened there?
The site has gone berserk!

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Apr 13th 2010 at 10:37 pm. Reason: strange goings on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.