Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Traffic Islands

Traffic Islands

Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traffic Islands

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
wouldn't be allowed in azbekistan. women there occupy the back seat in everything. and rightly so. for my wifes' 60th birthday i got her a new,padded,halter which makes it a lot easier and more comfortable for her to pull the plough. did she appreciate it? no she didn't!!! whinge whinge whinge, she wanted ANOTHER pair of wellies...we will never learn. too soft us men.
I bet she has not seen this post, has she?

If she does you will be in trouble. I have met your type before.............

in fact I am one myself.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:05 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Naturally its the last one before the one you entered on.
A lot to be said for staying in the outside lane especially if you don't know the roads so well.
When in doubt I have been known to do a couple of full circuits before finally deciding on an exit to suit my requirements.
Often had a few strange looks in the process,but generally it's served me well.
My only hairy moment to date was in Porto,when a big white van shot across my bows as I was passing the nth exit during my second circuit.
God, I hope you're joking!! Otherwise you shouldn't be allowed behind a wheel.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:13 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Naturally its the last one before the one you entered on.
A lot to be said for staying in the outside lane especially if you don't know the roads so well.
When in doubt I have been known to do a couple of full circuits before finally deciding on an exit to suit my requirements.
Often had a few strange looks in the process,but generally it's served me well.
My only hairy moment to date was in Porto,when a big white van shot across my bows as I was passing the nth exit during my second circuit.
I was told by the police that the outside lane has priority, and if you are in the inside and want to get out, but you are blocked by someone going around the outside, it would be your fault (on the inside lane) if there was an accident.
As a UK driver is seembed so stupid, but that was the officers take on the matter.

BTW he said that if you cant get out of the inside lane then you have to go round again and wait for the chance, without interfereing with drivers on the ourside

Originally Posted by jimenato
In Spain do as the Spaniards do......
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Always like to keep my options open.
Quite a lot to be said for it.
I do occasionally use my indicators of course,...or if I need a bit extra time and space the hazards always come in handy.

Well surely you must have seen my namesake in the Whacky Races.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Apr 12th 2010 at 5:25 pm. Reason: little add on.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
In Spain do as the Spaniards do......
Sit in the shade and drink red wine ?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JLFS
I bet she has not seen this post, has she?

If she does you will be in trouble. I have met your type before.............

in fact I am one myself.
ha ha ha..women on this site...hahaha. you are joking of course. when do they have the time to look on here? with the washing and the cleaning and the ploughing and the general fixing(plastering,rendering,renovating etc) surely there isn't any time for them to surf also???
i am from azbekistan,not bezikstan. can't pull woolsack over my eyes.....
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:42 pm
Banned

ha ha ha..women on this site...hahaha. you are joking of course. when do they have the time to look on here? with the washing and the cleaning and the ploughing and the general fixing(plastering,rendering,renovating etc) surely there isn't any time for them to surf also???
i am from azbekistan,not bezikstan. can't pull woolsack over my eyes.....

You are going to be in deep brown stuff when she reads this, enjoy it while you can............
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I can see you two ending up with a major slapping.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

what slapper??? i am happily married...
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:56 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

have just perused the spanish highway code,all two pages of it. it states,quite clearly,that the outside lane is the priority lane except in the circumstance that the inside lane is.
the outer lane is lower priority,except in the instance that the inside lane is in-operative. the outer lane then assumes middle priority. subparagraph two,line three clearly states "in the event of an accident,it is assumed that the spanish driver is in the right no matter what".
check it out, it is there in black and white.
p.s.
my s type jag is parked in the front drive of my lads house in the uk. foolish i may be,stupid definitely not.
I wouldn't be too embarrassed about it..........Jaguar have built worse cars!

I asked a guy I work with last night about all this, he also works as a driving instructor, and it's true........the outside lane is priority and you don't have to signal I tried to argue the difference between Spain and UK way of using a roundabout and he wouldn't have it that the Spanish way is potentialy dangerous in fact he got a little narked by it all. They only build the bloody things because it's a nice easy way to cream some of the tax payers money anyway lol
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy

I asked a guy I work with last night about all this, he also works as a driving instructor, and it's true........the outside lane is priority and you don't have to signal I tried to argue the difference between Spain and UK way of using a roundabout and he wouldn't have it that the Spanish way is potentialy dangerous in fact he got a little narked by it all. They only build the bloody things because it's a nice easy way to cream some of the tax payers money anyway lol
Don`t you mean the inside lane ? as they can turn left across you on the roundabout if you are going straight ahead.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:48 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Just the other day I was intending to go straight on when someone in the right hand lane went right round the outside and affectively did a U'ee without indicating. I missed her by millimetres and had to go right round the roundabout which is quite difficult with one hand on the horn while simultaneously shouting obscenities.

I have since been told that she may have been in the right but I can't believe that!
Well there you have it jimento,...according to advice and opinions on here you were clearly in the wrong,and in addition for shouting obscenities and continuously blowing your horn, I reckon you should be on a charge or three.
Apparently I am within the law to happily circumnavigate around and around in the outside lane, without signaling, till the cows come home, or else I happen to find an exit that takes my fancy,...whichever comes sooner.
IMHO the law makes sense and as long as anyone taking an exit slots into the outside lane first,then incidents as you describe will not occur.
I accept there are exceptions where the majority of traffic can flow straight ahead on a major road in more than one lane where the other exits are only to little used minor roads.
By the way I think that only three times around is my max.to date but I'm working on it.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:54 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Don`t you mean the inside lane ? as they can turn left across you on the roundabout if you are going straight ahead.
right hand side / outside lane.
It does seem pointless having an inside / left hand side lane or three lanes for that matter.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:28 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy

Did you bring up the fact that there are far fewer fatal/serious accidents in the UK compared to Spain? Just about everything about roads and driving in Spain is more dangerous compared to the UK. The Spanish should change ALL their laws and roads to be like British laws and roads and the death rate would be halved in a short time.

I'm going to change my roundabout technique to; right hand lane for turning right and going straight on and left hand lane for turning left and U turn. Anyone who uses the right hand lane for turning left is a) stupid and b) going to get some crazy Brit who wants to go straight on T-bone him from the left hand lane.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Did you bring up the fact that there are far fewer fatal/serious accidents in the UK compared to Spain? Just about everything about roads and driving in Spain is more dangerous compared to the UK. The Spanish should change ALL their laws and roads to be like British laws and roads and the death rate would be halved in a short time.

I'm going to change my roundabout technique to; right hand lane for turning right and going straight on and left hand lane for turning left and U turn. Anyone who uses the right hand lane for turning left is a) stupid and b) going to get some crazy Brit who wants to go straight on T-bone him from the left hand lane.

Well thats kind of what they've been doing. With the introduction of roundabouts, points and radars, the number of road deaths each year has halved over the past 10 years.

Sweden is the safest country in the world to drive in, followed by the UK. Spain used to be one of the worst countries in Europe but now is above average.

If Spain keeps improving at the current rate it will be as safe as the UK in 2014!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.