British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Traffic Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/traffic-islands-663383/)

Fredbargate Apr 10th 2010 10:11 am

Traffic Islands

Can anyone explain why when travelling along a dual carriageway the two lanes entering a roundabout become three lanes for the last 25 mtrs or so before entering roundabouts that are clearly marked with only two lanes around them ??

michaleen oge Apr 10th 2010 11:03 am

Re: Traffic Islands

spain.

jojojojojo Apr 10th 2010 11:07 am

for parking???

From what I've seen the Spanish have never really embraced the idea of round abouts and there isnt really a clear cut or difinitive way of using them correctly (British correctly that is!!) here

Jo xxx

steviedeluxe Apr 10th 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by michaleen oge (Post 8486121)
spain.

?

I've seen this at some roundabouts in the UK too. I assumed they were designed to soak up extra traffic at busy times rather than have a long queue, but I could be misstaken.

What concerns me when I've driven at roundabouts in Spain has been the lane discipline (or rather, the lack of it).

jimenato Apr 10th 2010 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 8486062)
Can anyone explain why when travelling along a dual carriageway the two lanes entering a roundabout become three lanes for the last 25 mtrs or so before entering roundabouts that are clearly marked with only two lanes around them ??

It's bloody dangerous isn't it? On our part of the N340 (Estepona southwards) every roundabout's like that.

jimenato Apr 10th 2010 11:30 am

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8486131)
What concerns me when I've driven at roundabouts in Spain has been the lane discipline (or rather, the lack of it).

Yes. Just the other day I was intending to go straight on when someone in the right hand lane went right round the outside and affectively did a U'ee without indicating. I missed her by millimetres and had to go right round the roundabout which is quite difficult with one hand on the horn while simultaneously shouting obscenities.:frown:

I have since been told that she may have been in the right but I can't believe that!

Fredbargate Apr 10th 2010 11:50 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 8486157)
Yes. Just the other day I was intending to go straight on when someone in the right hand lane went right round the outside and affectively did a U'ee without indicating. I missed her by millimetres and had to go right round the roundabout which is quite difficult with one hand on the horn while simultaneously shouting obscenities.:frown:

I have since been told that she may have been in the right but I can't believe that!

I cannot see that she was in the right if she failed to indicate

jimenato Apr 10th 2010 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 8486192)
I cannot see that she was in the right if she failed to indicate

I just put a google search in to see if I could find a rule. It found loads of forum entries, comments and articles on just this (including, strangely, one from me that I had forgotten about).

She was wrong - she should have signalled and she was in the wrong lane.

Fredbargate Apr 10th 2010 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 8486229)
I just put a google search in to see if I could find a rule. It found loads of forum entries, comments and articles on just this (including, strangely, one from me that I had forgotten about).

She was wrong - she should have signalled and she was in the wrong lane.

Jimenato you have probably followed learner drivers in La Linea where they are taught to signal right when entering a roundabout regardless of which exit they are taking. However 15 K away in Algeciras they are taught to signal left for the same manoeuvre

jimenato Apr 10th 2010 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 8486234)
Jimenato you have probably followed learner drivers in La Linea where they are taught to signal right when entering a roundabout regardless of which exit they are taking. However 15 K away in Algeciras they are taught to signal left for the same manoeuvre

Well the incident was certainly approaching La Linea - near the refinery entrance.

What on earth is the point of indicating right when entering a roundabout? Madness surely!!:eek:

Madridboy Apr 10th 2010 12:50 pm

spain.

:rofl:

Fredbargate Apr 10th 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 8486274)
Well the incident was certainly approaching La Linea - near the refinery entrance.

I personally rate that island as the most dangerous piece of road in the Campo area :thumbdown:

bfg69bug Apr 12th 2010 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 8486517)
I personally rate that island as the most dangerous piece of road in the Campo area :thumbdown:

spain.

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 8486129)
for parking???

From what I've seen the Spanish have never really embraced the idea of round abouts and there isnt really a clear cut or difinitive way of using them correctly (British correctly that is!!) here

Jo xxx

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8486131)

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 8486149)
It's bloody dangerous isn't it? On our part of the N340 (Estepona southwards) every roundabout's like that.

the most correct answer of all these is the first one .. "spain".

according to the law in spain... you dont need to indicate on roundabouts, ever. that came from a spanish loacal police man that has a column in the euro weekly news.

Rotor Apr 12th 2010 10:19 am

The outside lane always has priorty here :rofl::rofl: I cant figure out why either:rofl::rofl: Ive seen many Brits get the finger for assuming its the same as on a UK roundabout:rofl:

SHERGAR Apr 12th 2010 11:37 am

I was told by an other EU national (a Belgian) that this is also correct in their Highway code, i.e. priority in the outside lane.

Has anyone here tried to find out what it says in the Highway code in Spain?