Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Old May 1st 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Funny sight yesterday, but sad, the bus stop paypoint at the border post was absolutely mobbed by people trying pay at about 11.00. A typical Spanish queue at a bus stop a true mob complete families crowding in. My guess would be around 50 people. It is even more sad that had they known there is probably no need to buy a ticket anyway since friends with Spanish registered motors who have popped into the post office to pay after the trip have been told not to bother since the system cannot read foreign plates. Of course that may not be true but who knows it is a shambles!

Returning later around 15.00 nobody at the paypoint but I must say I had enjoyed an excellent lunch at "O Tapas" restaraunt a full 4 course +drink +carnation cocktail+digestive and my favorite skewer of huge gambas in garlic butter as the main course "brilliant". Long may the trip to Monte Gordo remain toll free!

PS I missed the punchline €10
I think they missed the point that for foreign registered car plates there is NO POST PAY system.

As for the rest,yum! But, what is a carnation cocktail please?
Old May 1st 2012, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave Smith
I'm flying into Faro tomorrow for 2 weeks. Can you get a transponder at the airport ?. I asked the hire company if they provide, they said no and advised me to get it from the Post Office. Can anyone give advice on the best way to resolve this apart from not using the A22.
I see you are in Portugal by now. You can rent a transponder, as MikeJ mentions, but remember you'll have to return it.*

It's time again to have a read of the Portagens page of the Portuguese Post Office website. It's in english now.

Here's a useful chart (Note 2 pages. Page 1=Portuguese registered vehicles. Page 2=Foreign registered vehicles.)

http://www.ctt.pt/fectt/export/downl...uick_Guide.pdf

* Hypothetical question(s): If they should opt for the prepaid anonymous route, I wonder how many people have kept the transponder thinking they could return it/recharge it on next visit? (Is there a shortage of transponders?)
Old May 1st 2012, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest - does anyone know if the gantry between Olhao and Faro going westbound is before or after the Service Area? ie if you are going back to the airport and are returning the transponder, will that journey have been clocked (if the gantry is before but not after - there are no further gantries before the airport).-
Old May 1st 2012, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Graham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Just out of interest - does anyone know if the gantry between Olhao and Faro going westbound is before or after the Service Area? ie if you are going back to the airport and are returning the transponder, will that journey have been clocked (if the gantry is before but not after - there are no further gantries before the airport).-
http://www.theportugalnews.com/cgi-bin/a22_tolls.html

This link has a map at the bottom of the page that explains all.
Old May 1st 2012, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Originally Posted by Carol&John
I think they missed the point that for foreign registered car plates there is NO POST PAY system.

As for the rest,yum! But, what is a carnation cocktail please?
Don't know but it was the 30th anniversary of the carnation revolution in Portugal and between main and desert we were offered a sorbet sort of drink which was white with lots of streaks of pink in it. I don't think it was very alcoholic at least I hope not since I had had my beer and they brought the customary almond flavored digestive to finish before I drove home.

With regard to no post pay does that mean that they will chase up the offence together with interest and fines? That was not what the post office seemed to be saying!
Old May 1st 2012, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
I see you are in Portugal by now. You can rent a transponder, as MikeJ mentions, but remember you'll have to return it.*

It's time again to have a read of the Portagens page of the Portuguese Post Office website. It's in english now.

Here's a useful chart (Note 2 pages. Page 1=Portuguese registered vehicles. Page 2=Foreign registered vehicles.)

http://www.ctt.pt/fectt/export/downl...uick_Guide.pdf

* Hypothetical question(s): If they should opt for the prepaid anonymous route, I wonder how many people have kept the transponder thinking they could return it/recharge it on next visit? (Is there a shortage of transponders?)
We hired one last semester and were told you could not reactivate it after the 90 days were up you had to return it. Odd since I am sure they do not throw them away and they return your €27 if it is in good condition. So next time you have to go through the whole process again and they take another €27 deposit. You are charged €6 euro for the first weeks hire and €1.50 for each week after that. Mind you they did take our REG and a credit card from our Spanish bank so we were linked to the system. I asked about an anonymous one but they said they did not do that one at the Via Verde shop in Tavira (now gone). There was a shortage of transponder around Christmas but I don't think there is now.
Old May 1st 2012, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If my memory is functioning today it is after but before the Sao Bras exit after that it is free to the one the other side of the airport link so no gantries on that stretch.
Old May 1st 2012, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham G
http://www.theportugalnews.com/cgi-bin/a22_tolls.html

This link has a map at the bottom of the page that explains all.
Actually it doesn't answer the question of where the gantry is in relationship to the Service Area - which is quite important if you are travelling back to Faro from Spain as you could end up with an unpaid toll if it is after you have returned your transponder.
BTW - I think the map I posted is better as it shows the untolled bits as well
Old May 1st 2012, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Don't know but it was the 30th anniversary of the carnation revolution in Portugal and between main and desert we were offered a sorbet sort of drink which was white with lots of streaks of pink in it. I don't think it was very alcoholic at least I hope not since I had had my beer and they brought the customary almond flavored digestive to finish before I drove home.

With regard to no post pay does that mean that they will chase up the offence together with interest and fines? That was not what the post office seemed to be saying!
As far as we know foreign reg plates cannot be read so if that is the case there is no way they can chase up the offence. There was an article in the Portugal news to this effect at the begining of April. Regards Bryony
Old May 2nd 2012, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeCol
As far as we know foreign reg plates cannot be read so if that is the case there is no way they can chase up the offence. There was an article in the Portugal news to this effect at the begining of April. Regards Bryony
You may well be right, Bryony, but I would be very wary about assuming this. Do you think that the local Spanish would queue up and pay if there was the remotest chance that they don't have to? And they would know if anyone would.
From my previous life/career I know that it is a trivial amendment to get ANPR systems technically to read legible numbers from any plate. Whether the Portuguese have got the adminstrative systems to pursue the debt is another issue but they are supported by EU legislation and if the don't yet they will as soon as they see how much money they are leaking and it becomes cost effective.
Old May 2nd 2012, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

JT01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, just wanted to ask a quick question:

Would I be correct in assuming the toll charge from Faro Junction 13 or 14 to Ayamonte would be a deduction of 2.30 Euros for a car?

OR is it 5.00 Euros being made up of the three costs showing for gantries 8, 9 and 10? Thereby making it 10 Euros for a return trip to the airport.

I'm certain this has been answered in the past but for the life of me can't find it. Sorry.

BTW, thanks one and all for all the ongoing information and updates on the charges. Much appreciated.

Believe I've found the answers around €10.60 for return journey.

Last edited by JT01; May 2nd 2012 at 1:21 pm.
Old May 2nd 2012, 2:12 pm
Banned

John and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JT01

Would I be correct in assuming the toll charge from Faro Junction 13 or 14 to Ayamonte would be a deduction of 2.30 Euros for a car?

OR is it 5.00 Euros being made up of the three costs showing for gantries 8, 9 and 10? Thereby making it 10 Euros for a return trip to the airport.

I'm certain this has been answered in the past but for the life of me can't find it. Sorry.

BTW, thanks one and all for all the ongoing information and updates on the charges. Much appreciated.

Hi, our hire car company charged us 5.31 euros from Faro to Spain and the same on the way back. Basically they paid it for us and charged our credit card.
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JT01

Exactly what we paid at the Post Office in VRSA
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

caroli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Are there toll charges? How much?

Not been out for a while but arriving Sat so may need loose change?

C
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

caroli is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy to accept charge to help economy...we take advantage of it in so many ways. If I (yes, me) were to travel from Faro Airport to Ayamonte, how much will it cost? I guess, in scheme of things, not so punative?

C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.