Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thermal Solar Energy

Thermal Solar Energy

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thermal Solar Energy

Originally Posted by bil
Why in god's name are they demolishing it?
As far as I know they are not.

It is the Trawsfynydd nuclear power station that is being demolished, decommissioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trawsfy..._power_station

Edit :- I've found two more in the UK.

http://www.visitcruachan.co.uk/about/history.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffestiniog_Power_Station

Last edited by Fredbargate; Oct 3rd 2011 at 3:35 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

smigger is an unknown quantity at this point

You could try this website...

I work along side this company preparing any necessary building works.
He is based in the Algarve but sometimes carry out work in Spain.

http://www.raizverdeportimao.com.pt/

He is English and his name is Dave.

Good luck...

Steve
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thermal Solar Energy

Originally Posted by bil
Was that the reservoir on top of a hiil that they pumped water to when they had surplus power, and dropped it thru a turbine to boost power at maximum need?
Yes overnight base load pumped water up to the top and peak day load brings in the hydro turbines. ie a large battery for electrity.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thermal Solar Energy under floor heating

Hi Polly,

When I renovated my house we put tubes in the concrete floor with insulation below.

now I pump hot water from a wood burner through during the night, and solar heated water in the day .

It has taken the chill off the house, much better than before.

Occasionally we need to use a gas fire to top up the heat.

But I am very pleased with the results .

Tony
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thermal Solar Energy under floor heating

Originally Posted by tony
Hi Polly,

When I renovated my house we put tubes in the concrete floor with insulation below.

now I pump hot water from a wood burner through during the night, and solar heated water in the day .

It has taken the chill off the house, much better than before.

Occasionally we need to use a gas fire to top up the heat.

But I am very pleased with the results .

Tony
Hi Tony
What kind of accumulator do you use? do you mind telling us what your accumulator cost? And how big is your house? Not sure if we've lost Polly already. I don't think she's been on this thread since the beginning.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

Hi Angie,

At the moment I only have 160 liters of stored hot water .

I deal in solar water hearers and had a spare ex display unit, it is the vacuum tube pre heat type.

Inside the solar tank is a copper coil heat exchanger, so I pump the water through that during the day.

I must admit I could do with some more hot water storage capacity for heating, maybe if I get another spare unit I will add that.

I did go to a clients house and he had a 900 litre tank running radiators, but he said it didn't really get warm enough. ( so sold him a swh to add to the system )

I am still pleased with the results of my system, I think the concrete floor slab acts as a thermal store, it is well insulated from the sub floor by polystyrene slab sheets.

Are you thinking of, or got underfloor heating ?

Regards Tony
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Angie,

At the moment I only have 160 liters of stored hot water .

I deal in solar water hearers and had a spare ex display unit, it is the vacuum tube pre heat type.

Inside the solar tank is a copper coil heat exchanger, so I pump the water through that during the day.

I must admit I could do with some more hot water storage capacity for heating, maybe if I get another spare unit I will add that.

I did go to a clients house and he had a 900 litre tank running radiators, but he said it didn't really get warm enough. ( so sold him a swh to add to the system )

I am still pleased with the results of my system, I think the concrete floor slab acts as a thermal store, it is well insulated from the sub floor by polystyrene slab sheets.

Are you thinking of, or got underfloor heating ?

Regards Tony
Hi Tony. Because we're self-building, I installed the pipes over the polystyrene sheets just as you have done, to the upstairs, which is the living area. Then we screeded over the top and have just left it until we can afford to take another step. We're living in a partial building site, and, we haven't yet put in the downstairs pipework. We are very short of money at the mo and don't know when that next step will be. But as I've said before, I'm glad we put the pipes in for the future.
We've built everything with the future installation in mind though.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Angie,

I think you have done the right thing, it would me major work to put in after !!

Good luck with the project, I know how you feel having been through a big reform our self

Money goes like water !!, especially when doing the 2nd fix stuff like kitchen and bathroom fittings etc.

All the best

Tony
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Angie,

I think you have done the right thing, it would me major work to put in after !!

Good luck with the project, I know how you feel having been through a big reform our self

Money goes like water !!, especially when doing the 2nd fix stuff like kitchen and bathroom fittings etc.

All the best

Tony
Many thanks. I might ask you a few questions in the future if that's OK.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

No Problem

Tony