Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thermal Solar Energy

Thermal Solar Energy

Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thermal Solar Energy

I am really interested in Thermal Solar Energy as a way of heating my home.

I would appreciate any information from anyone out there on any more economical heating systems than the gas I am using (not using because it's too expensive) at the moment.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thermal Solar Energy

Originally Posted by polly.walker
I am really interested in Thermal Solar Energy as a way of heating my home.

I would appreciate any information from anyone out there on any more economical heating systems than the gas I am using (not using because it's too expensive) at the moment.
Hi Polly. I'm also interested in this thread. I've put pipes under my floor already (suelo radiante) but that's because we're still building the house. Retrofitting is expensive and complicated and will cost you around 5" of height in your rooms. We were very lucky to have a friend who did part of it for us for nothing so I'm not sure what the cost of that part is for a normal home. We're imagining that an accumulatior tank (acumulador) will cost us around 2,000 and a woodburning stove with backboiler (as we'd like to have a system that has all options) may cost us another 2,000 including connecting up. Then the bit on the roof. and various connections and controls. We're probably looking at a bill of 6 thousand to come. We don't have any of that right now... But I'm still glad we did the pipes, as they'll be there when we can afford it.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:28 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I would always advise people to look at is the payback period.

A long time ago in the UK they published one of these, and it was a massive eyeopener. Lagging your hot tank saved what it cost within a year if memory serves, if not less, but double glazing took in excess of 75 years.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
One of the things I would always advise people to look at is the payback period.

A long time ago in the UK they published one of these, and it was a massive eyeopener. Lagging your hot tank saved what it cost within a year if memory serves, if not less, but double glazing took in excess of 75 years.
True. As it stands it seems home solar electriicity pays back over far too long a period. However Solar hot water has a much shorter payback period. But very good point Bil
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't the facts (and anyway they wouldn't be any different) to argue about payback, but what today's politicians........possibly all politicians..... are guilty of is the inevitable 'think of today's voters and maybe just maybe next time's voters. Anyone further down the line (my child, your child or grandchild, our collective grandchildren/great-grandchildren) can go ...............
I wish someone had the cojones to say what's right isn't necessarily just what's right right now.

Oh there is someone... they're a bit green round the gills!!!!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:27 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
True. As it stands it seems home solar electriicity pays back over far too long a period. However Solar hot water has a much shorter payback period. But very good point Bil
Actually, I think photoelectrics are a joke. The batteries needed to store power cost a fortune, - a friend has a friend who is off the grid, and uses photo, and frankly, not only is he paying far more than the mains in real terms, he is getting a very low level of power.

A solar system is going to cost in excess of a thousand pounds for hot water. Now, if you save 20 euros a month, 10 months of the year, the payback is 5 years. (Just bear in mind that these are guesstimates at best, and my maths is notoriously bad.)

5 years tho ain't too bad.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:27 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by fionamw
I haven't the facts (and anyway they wouldn't be any different) to argue about payback, but what today's politicians........possibly all politicians..... are guilty of is the inevitable 'think of today's voters and maybe just maybe next time's voters. Anyone further down the line (my child, your child or grandchild, our collective grandchildren/great-grandchildren) can go ...............
I wish someone had the cojones to say what's right isn't necessarily just what's right right now.

Oh there is someone... they're a bit green round the gills!!!!
Politicians only ever think in terms of very short term, and what will get them back into power.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Politicians only ever think in terms of very short term, and what will get them back into power.
Obviously sad, and inexcusably true.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Actually, I think photoelectrics are a joke. The batteries needed to store power cost a fortune, - a friend has a friend who is off the grid, and uses photo, and frankly, not only is he paying far more than the mains in real terms, he is getting a very low level of power.

A solar system is going to cost in excess of a thousand pounds for hot water. Now, if you save 20 euros a month, 10 months of the year, the payback is 5 years. (Just bear in mind that these are guesstimates at best, and my maths is notoriously bad.)

5 years tho ain't too bad.
Agreed.
We aren't just talking hot water for washing here though. we're talking for heating. That does start to stack up with the high cost of other heating fuels...and simply the fabulous feeling of wandering around a beautifully warm house. It gets flippin' nippy up here in winter! But the sun is still hot most days. with a back up of a logburner feeding into the system on very dull days and even an electric immersion as a last resort it makes for an efficient and flexible system. Though, as I say, for my house, which is about 200 sq metres the total cost will be something in excess of 6000 euros. But these days you can spend over 200 a month on electrics and still not keep one room warm! Then there's the cost of extra buns and the weight gain (for anyone who hasn't experienced a central-heating free winter in their adult lives.. That's not really a joke!)
Once a system like this is fitted you're talking free heating for all except the coldest days. Then just a few logs. About half as many as we were buying.
After 5 years you're seriously enough in profit to be able to afford repairs and upgrades. PhotoVoltaics will have to come down massively to be worth doing but the OP was talking about heating.
I'd be interested to hear about anyone who's trying Air Source heating. Can you feed that into a wet system?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:11 am
bil
Banned

Agreed.
We aren't just talking hot water for washing here though. we're talking for heating. That does start to stack up with the high cost of other heating fuels...and simply the fabulous feeling of wandering around a beautifully warm house. It gets flippin' nippy up here in winter! But the sun is still hot most days. with a back up of a logburner feeding into the system on very dull days and even an electric immersion as a last resort it makes for an efficient and flexible system. Though, as I say, for my house, which is about 200 sq metres the total cost will be something in excess of 6000 euros. But these days you can spend over 200 a month on electrics and still not keep one room warm! Then there's the cost of extra buns and the weight gain (for anyone who hasn't experienced a central-heating free winter in their adult lives.. That's not really a joke!)
Once a system like this is fitted you're talking free heating for all except the coldest days. Then just a few logs. About half as many as we were buying.
After 5 years you're seriously enough in profit to be able to afford repairs and upgrades. PhotoVoltaics will have to come down massively to be worth doing but the OP was talking about heating.
I'd be interested to hear about anyone who's trying Air Source heating. Can you feed that into a wet system?
If you have a brain, and the ability to think outside the box, you can fit anything into a wet system.

I used to suggest something to my customers, and they would reply that their plumber said it couldn't be done.

My comment would be, "Tell that to my customers that are already doing it."

A lot of so called prefessionals lack the knowledge and confidence to try anything beyond their very basic experience, and just stick t doing the same thing over and over.

As someone said. "He doesn't actually have 20 year's experience. He has one year's experience repeated 20 times."
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
If you have a brain, and the ability to think outside the box, you can fit anything into a wet system.

I used to suggest something to my customers, and they would reply that their plumber said it couldn't be done.

A lot of so called prefessionals lack the knowledge and confidence to try anything beyond their very basic experience, and just stick t doing the same thing over and over.

As someone said. "He doesn't actually have 20 year's experience. He has one year's experience repeated 20 times."
So true so true.
I'll send you a story about "It can't be done" privately as it's way off topic.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:05 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

I seem to have spent most of my life living outside the box, where practical answers come from using alternative methods and products.

Amazing how so many "professionals" get stuck into a rut where when their one and only supplier changes something or even goes bust have no idea how to cope. It doesn't stop them from charging outrageous rates per hour expecting customers to pay for their incompetence.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:39 pm
bil
Banned

So true so true.
I'll send you a story about "It can't be done" privately as it's way off topic.
Please do.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

Solar hot water yes, solar generating panels no, not much good for more than your mobile phone or maybe laptop unless you spend LOTS of €'s
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tex_ritter
Solar hot water yes, solar generating panels no, not much good for more than your mobile phone or maybe laptop unless you spend LOTS of €'s
I thought various governments, UK among them, now buying PV power from domestic sources? Must be more than mobile power capability?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.