Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thermal Solar Energy

Thermal Solar Energy

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:21 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thermal Solar Energy

Originally Posted by fionamw
I thought various governments, UK among them, now buying PV power from domestic sources? Must be more than mobile power capability?
No. For a domestic person, the dribble of power from a photo source is useful to use, but worthless to store. If they are linked in to the grid, all those dribbles add up to something of value.

Bear in mind, there is no realistic way to store energy.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:20 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I thought various governments, UK among them, now buying PV power from domestic sources? Must be more than mobile power capability?
Most Eu countries started initiatives for people installing PV or wind powered generating systems. The Uk "feed-in tarriff" was designed to deliver pay something like 40p per unit generated, irrespective of whether it was used by the generator or fed into the grid. There have been full colour full page ads from companies who want private people to have these fitted with various incentives, providing they sell the electricity to the installer.

However, this is potentially under funded in some areas, as I think bil has indicated a min of £25k for a basic system is a lot of pennies to pay back over 25years. And when you sell to move to Spain, will buyers want to take on that commitment.

Because of El Crunch governments are cutting back on new agreements and ISTR the uk is now stopping all funding. Has Spain still got a scheme running ?
Only a few months ago the owner of a large wind farm turned off the machines because there was no call for the output. Perhaps that will change as winter gets here, but it isnt cost effective to install if it will only reach a max of 50% output. As bil said You can't store it, like you can with gas.
rgds
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:00 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Most Eu countries started initiatives for people installing PV or wind powered generating systems. The Uk "feed-in tarriff" was designed to deliver pay something like 40p per unit generated, irrespective of whether it was used by the generator or fed into the grid. There have been full colour full page ads from companies who want private people to have these fitted with various incentives, providing they sell the electricity to the installer.

However, this is potentially under funded in some areas, as I think bil has indicated a min of £25k for a basic system is a lot of pennies to pay back over 25years. And when you sell to move to Spain, will buyers want to take on that commitment.

Because of El Crunch governments are cutting back on new agreements and ISTR the uk is now stopping all funding. Has Spain still got a scheme running ?
Only a few months ago the owner of a large wind farm turned off the machines because there was no call for the output. Perhaps that will change as winter gets here, but it isnt cost effective to install if it will only reach a max of 50% output. As bil said You can't store it, like you can with gas.
rgds
You want a truly intelligent system that will give power 24/7? That will work in light or day, wind or calm, hot or cold? That you can get power out for nothing, effectively?

Plough money into fuel cells, and create one that can work on dilute ethanol.

Simple, brilliant, effective, non polluting, and you can make the alcohol from potato peelings etc.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
You want a truly intelligent system that will give power 24/7? That will work in light or day, wind or calm, hot or cold? That you can get power out for nothing, effectively?

Plough money into fuel cells, and create one that can work on dilute ethanol.

Simple, brilliant, effective, non polluting, and you can make the alcohol from potato peelings etc.
understand the theory bil, but like many things life is too short to expend all that personal energy into one arena where there is so much else to do.

although the making of alcohol from potato peelings looks like an interesting hobby.
used to make a very mean real ale a few years ago, one of my best friends is a VAT Inspector who couldnt get enough of it. since moving in the Uk havent made any.
wonder if my new Spanish neighbours would want some...........
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

understand the theory bil, but like many things life is too short to expend all that personal energy into one arena where there is so much else to do.

although the making of alcohol from potato peelings looks like an interesting hobby.
used to make a very mean real ale a few years ago, one of my best friends is a VAT Inspector who couldnt get enough of it. since moving in the Uk havent made any.
wonder if my new Spanish neighbours would want some...........

Isn't that poteen?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:31 pm
bil
Banned

Isn't that poteen?
No, it's the first stage. If you distill it it is then illegal, which is why I stressed the importance of it being able to be run on dilute solutions, as by fermentation you can only get to 12% or a bit more.

All those stories about granddad's cowslip wine being as strong as brandy....bullsh'it.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
No, it's the first stage. If you distill it it is then illegal, which is why I stressed the importance of it being able to be run on dilute solutions, as by fermentation you can only get to 12% or a bit more.

All those stories about granddad's cowslip wine being as strong as brandy....bullsh'it.
Ok so you're saying the future is in fuel cells powered by weak hooch (and I'm not taking the p!ss, I actually spent the entire Stansted-Malaga flight about six weeks ago sitting next to a student of Imperial College who was working on them) ??
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:34 pm

Isn't that poteen?
well oim no oirish so

lets just call it POTENT, sounds like a good label to put on the bottles.....
although the poles and others call it vodka

but of course I will have to brew it with Thermal Solar Energy to get my accreditation correct
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:35 pm

Ok so you're saying the future is in fuel cells powered by weak hooch (and I'm not taking the p!ss, I actually spent the entire Stansted-Malaga flight about six weeks ago sitting next to a student of Imperial College who was working on them) ??
you get all the fun, the best I can get is an accountant who wants to sleep
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:37 pm
bil
Banned

Oh yes. Look at it like this. An electric car can run on one, your house can run on a big enough one. You can be anywhere on the planet and have a decent power source. If you like, of a night, the car's one can be connected into the house circuit if you need more.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you get all the fun, the best I can get is an accountant who wants to sleep
That's probably my OH!!!! Actually if you re-read my post it was a bit of a senior blonde moment. Of course I was next to him the entire flight... it's not exactly spacious enough for musical chairs on EZY What I should have said was we spent almost the entire flight talking about such stuff. I made no bones that most went over my head but he was complimentary that I seemed to understand at least some of it

...bil, I was just questioning the weak liquid bit, not the fuel cells. I'm convinced the principle of them is genius. It's all in the detail, though. My new found knowledge
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thermal Solar Energy

Originally Posted by bil
No. For a domestic person, the dribble of power from a photo source is useful to use, but worthless to store. If they are linked in to the grid, all those dribbles add up to something of value.

Bear in mind, there is no realistic way to store energy.
Remember WATER Trwasfynod(?) is being dismantled as we speak what a waste.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:06 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Was that the reservoir on top of a hiil that they pumped water to when they had surplus power, and dropped it thru a turbine to boost power at maximum need?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Trawsfynydd

bil you beat me it's Dinorwig Power Station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_Power_Station
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:13 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Trawsfynydd

bil you beat me it's Dinorwig Power Station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_Power_Station
Why in god's name are they demolishing it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.