Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tell me what's really different.

Tell me what's really different.

Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:36 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me what's really different.

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Because they are to busy making bloody coffee!
Or because they've had to go outside to smoke their cig.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Alpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really niceAlpujarra is just really nice

Originally Posted by dios41
I just wanted to start a thread to find out exactly what people feel are the difference between British and Spanish people. Whether it be a big or small difference, please feel free to join in and let us know. I will start with a couple.
1) The Spanish in general love noise. We Brits don't.
2) The Spanish in general don't mind copious amounts of dog mess fouling the pavements. We Brits do
3) The Spanish in general do not mind rubbish tipped all over the place. We Brits do.

There we go, there's a few, now see how many more we can muster up, you will be amazed.
Spanish people dont worry about differences between them and the British
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Forget to mention the 10 second staring, very prevalent in some small towns. Could cause a fight in other parts of the world.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:00 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goaty
Forget to mention the 10 second staring, very prevalent in some small towns. Could cause a fight in other parts of the world.
Forgot about that one I used to get it a lot, probably down to my size and tattoos for the most part but still made me feel very uneasy for a long time until someone told me to just smile and pleasently say hello which did make a difference.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Where I come from (Scotland), you'd get a punch on the nose after a three-second staring. It's just not done.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

dios41 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alpujarra
Spanish people dont worry about differences between them and the British
What utter rubbish!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I used to get it a lot, probably down to my size and tattoos for the most part but still made me feel very uneasy for a long time
Should the list include bald/shaved head as well?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:49 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

That is because they bother to acknowledge everyone they know. So quick stare and then the brilliant smile and wave if you are in the car or a few steps towards you to greet you warnly and speak to you. Well that is the way it is around where we live.

Quite frankly I would much rather have that than the ignorance that we received from so called English friends in Spain.

Give me the Spanish for real friendship any day.

Rosemary
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:50 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Oddities
That is because they bother to acknowledge everyone they know. So quick stare and then the brilliant smile and wave if you are in the car or a few steps towards you to greet you warnly and speak to you. Well that is the way it is around where we live.

Quite frankly I would much rather have that than the ignorance that we received from so called English friends in Spain.

Rosemary
Well said.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Rosemary
I'm not talking about that, I am talking about people you have never seen before fixing you with a long stare. It is very prevalent among some small towns, but it is a cultural thing.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not talking about that, I am talking about people you have never seen before fixing you with a long stare. It is very prevalent among some small towns, but it is a cultural thing.
I am talking about exactly the same thing. They fix the long stare and then look away if they do not know you or greet you if they do. We were very self conscious of the stare until we worked out what it was about. The longer the stare the worse the eyesight of the starer. I think that it is definitely more prevalent in small towns. Yes I believe it is a cultural thing, because they are genuinely interested in being sociable.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Feb 20th 2011 at 10:03 am.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:36 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

People in Spain look eachother in the eye, it´s a form of acknowledgement and politeness. If you look down it means you´re insecure or have something to hide.

So, chin up, look back and greet the person who looks at you! It´s polite!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:44 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Several women (including Mrs. Jimenata and her sister) have noted that Spanish men tend to stare at their ...um... chest area in a rather more open manner than Brits do.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Jur
People in Spain look eachother in the eye, it´s a form of acknowledgement and politeness. If you look down it means you´re insecure or have something to hide.

So, chin up, look back and greet the person who looks at you! It´s polite!
I have taken on the Spanish way and always greet people, but then again I have always been a very friendly person anyway.

Rosemary
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
I agree.
I am only over occasionally and in a town but your right everybody that knows us and many that don't give us a quick buenas/adios as we pass.
I think many of us Brits cannot engage in that way and find it disconcerting,
almost as if there is an ulterior motive to the friendliness.
My wife understands this much better than me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.